Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold Start & Oil (Read 238 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Cold Start & Oil
10/27/08 at 06:29:52

I run Lucas 20W-50 Full Synthetic in my '06 S40. Now temps in the mornings are in the upper 20's. Is that oil still thin enough for those temps to cold start? Just changed it last weekend.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Cold Start & Oil
Reply #1 - 10/27/08 at 10:21:15

ralfyguy wrote on 10/27/08 at 06:29:52:
I run Lucas 20W-50 Full Synthetic in my '06 S40. Now temps in the mornings are in the upper 20's. Is that oil still thin enough for those temps to cold start? Just changed it last weekend.

Upper 20's  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  

Chart says -10 C or -14 F , so you  are within the limits,  but  getting real close.

I have 20W-50 Mobil 1 in mine.  I also have an oil pressure gauge.  Last week I went on a Charity ride and it was 32 F.  At start-up, the oil pressure came up in about same amount of time.  It was running a little high and took a little longer to get down to a level where I could ride and not peg the gauge.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #2 - 10/27/08 at 11:05:02

How does 15/40 Rotella-T oil function in cold weather? Just got the bike to my liking,don't want to damage in internally by being stupid.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 10/27/08 at 11:13:45

That should be ok,Its not going to hurt anything

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 10/27/08 at 12:06:11

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 10/27/08 at 10:21:15:
ralfyguy wrote on 10/27/08 at 06:29:52:

Upper 20's  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  

Chart says -10 C or -14 F , so you  are within the limits,  but  getting real close.

I have 20W-50 Mobil 1 in mine.  I also have an oil pressure gauge.  Last week I went on a Charity ride and it was 32 F.  At start-up, the oil pressure came up in about same amount of time.  It was running a little high and took a little longer to get down to a level where I could ride and not peg the gauge.

T Mack

I'm not familiar with what the oil pressure on a Savage is supposed to be. So what is a normal reading? And where would it have pegged on yours that cold morning? Isn't it better to have rather more than too little oil pressure, especially on cold start?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/28/08 at 03:39:27

Cold starts and oil thickness are a matter of opinion and temperature.  I run 5w40 Rotella full synthetic now as it gets moving quickly and easily when the bike first starts up, getting up to the cam bearings and keeping everything slipping nicely and not grinding.

The synthetic oil really doesn't change thickness much as it warms up -- the weight it presents once warmed up is pretty much the same as it is cold.  The old SAE standard for oil thickness however was based on single weight dino oils way back at the start of the century and they thinned out considerably between cold mornings and a warmed up engine (driving the need for multi weight dino oils that were developed in the 50s & 60s).  New synthetics are much better oils ....

So, with Rotella 5w40 synthetic I crank with a very mobile easy to move oil and once warmed up good I have "running weight oil" -- actually these are actually the same thickness all the time and that suits me just fine.  The bike acts like it is warming up quicker than it did with thicker dino oils which is also a good thing on these colder mornings.

Rotella is good oil, lots of them good diesel additives to keep your tappets and cam chain happy.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 10/28/08 at 08:04:44

ralfyguy wrote on 10/27/08 at 12:06:11:
I'm not familiar with what the oil pressure on a Savage is supposed to be. So what is a normal reading? And where would it have pegged on yours that cold morning? Isn't it better to have rather more than too little oil pressure, especially on cold start?

If I recall correctly, spec calls for 7 psig (min)  at 3000 rpm, warmed up.  

TID-BIT of INFO:

With the 10W40 dino, in 85 deg F weather with bike at operating temp,  at idle (approx. 1100 rpm) the oil pressure is about 2 psig or less.  Shocked

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 10/28/08 at 14:22:01

That has almost nothing to do with "pressure" anymore. To me it's a miracle, that not more engines die from that.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/28/08 at 15:10:46

Well we do have a hard learned rule not to set the idle on a Savage at less than 1,000 rpm.  If you should do that by not knowing about the rule then you can oil starve the cam bearings when your engine is all hot and your oil pressure is practically not there at all because of elevated temperature and low idle speed.  

Back when the Savage was a brand new bike a whole crop of new owners learned that lesson the hard way.   We also learned to like synthetic oils because they stay relatively thicker at very elevated temperatures (like idling at a stop light on a very hot summer day after going fast for a while) and they don't break down under high temp abuse either.

We also learned that you need zinc/phosphorus anti galling compounds to protect the cam lobes and followers from pitting out on you (something only found in diesel oils and certain specialty oils now a days because it kills automobile catalytic converters).   Our cam chains live longer if these anti galling compounds are present as well.

So, the Savage has special needs that have to be met or you get to fix it more than you would need to otherwise ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 10/28/08 at 18:55:42

OOPS, noticed I didn't answer all of your questions,   My oil pressure gauge is 60 psig.    

At the 40 deg F outside temp's the start-up pressure is around 40 psig.  A rev to around 2000 rpms will take to 60 psig.  

So the concern at cold temps (bitter cold for you southerners)  is too thick an oil and the pump not being able to push it up to the head.  Or in my case too high a pressure popping the tube off the oil presssure line (NOTE: "trust me", remember to tighten the hose clamps on the test port fitting before rev'ing a cold engine after installing stuff....  and the answer is 5 feet  & about a pint ...   ).

Now, in the 30 to 40 deg F range,  most oils are fairly viscous so at 40 psig it will easily get to the head & cam.   NO worries.  If you where in Barrow Alaska , 20W-50 or 10W-40 might be a different story....

---
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 10/28/08 at 19:15:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/28/08 at 03:39:27:
Rotella is good oil, lots of them good diesel additives to keep your tappets and cam chain happy.

That is the only thing I will run in my '58 Chevy with the original unrebuilt engine in it.  I need to start running it in the Savage.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #11 - 11/04/08 at 13:43:14

IMO I would not use 20W50 if temps are getting that low. I would go with 10W40 which according to the owners manual is good for -4 degrees F to 104+ degrees. I run Amsoil MCF 10W40 Synthetic http://www.lubedealer.com/1lube/FeaturedProductsView.aspx and I live in central Florida where temps seldom dip to freezing but often rise into the high 90s. I have total faith in Amsoil synthetics and realise that synthetics cool internal engine parts and dissipate heat much better than crude oil.
    Rotella is a good lubricant but it is made for diesels and our motorcycles have at least one mechanical design that diesels dont. The transmission and the engine share the same oil. Amsoil MCF has the same additives to prevent cam and camchain wear but also has anti-shear additives and actually carries a GL1 gear lube rating.

Gazoo www.lubedealer.com/1lube  

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 11/04/08 at 13:59:01

Gazoo why doesn't amsoil ever compare Klotz in there comparing oil, must be a reason

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #13 - 11/04/08 at 14:43:33

Bill, I am not sure to be honest. I have never heard of Klotz until the last year. Maybe they just like to pick on the big guys. I am not saying it isnt a good lubricant. We are a small company too. I will try to find out and get back to you. Gazoo www.lubedealer.com/1lube

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:31:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold Start & Oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.