Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Material for Seat....???? (Read 115 times)
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Material for Seat....????
10/23/08 at 16:27:46

SO I am gonna make my own seat and I need to know where I can get some foam for the padding? Does any one have an idea?

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Material for Seat....????
Reply #1 - 10/23/08 at 16:32:14

upholstery store?

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 10/23/08 at 16:33:20

Look at www.foamonline.com

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #3 - 10/23/08 at 16:51:31

Thanks Bill!  I gave the website a good look, but I really need to feel the foam to make sure I can make it work!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 10/23/08 at 17:26:28

Find an upholstery shop. Ask to feel samples of open cell foams between 2.2 to 3.0 lbs per cu ft in varying levels of IFD between 30-50%. Less than 2.o density will not last that long. Also ask for an HR, or high resiliency foam around 2.4-2.8 lbs/cu ft to compare as well.

When you test  the foams, press down on  the foam on a flat surface with both palms and see how fast it compresses and how rapidly it springs back, Then try sitting on them. Cheap foams compress fast , so they feel comfy at first, but give no lasting support.  

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 10/23/08 at 18:01:47

Check out a fabric store. Oldfeller has a thing on here about making your own air filter with a spun batting that is used for crib pads. You can breath through it with a 2" piece of it pressed flat against your face.

I did the filter mod. I bought enough to do about six of them. So, I sat on the left over and it's pretty firm. I intend to do a seat pad for my V-Star saddle seat on my LS650. This stuff comes on several thicknesses and can be worked very easily. Perhaps a medium firm layer of foam and then a couple inches of this stuff pressed down on top. It breathes well and really conform to the butt-bones.

Jack

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #6 - 10/23/08 at 20:22:34

Well it looks like I am off to the upholstry shop tomorrow then!

Chong Kim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SantaFe, NM
Reply #7 - 10/24/08 at 07:09:09

High density foam, topped by a thin layer of gel can get you a seat that is very thin, and still is very comfortable. My son has a seat that he did this way, and he has put as many as 500 miles a day on it. (The gel is thin enough that it can be put in a factory seat and make even one of those planks comfortable.) If you want to trim the foam, we found that freezing it first and then sculpting can give a really good result. If it's frozen, you can even sand it.

« Last Edit: 10/24/08 at 10:58:36 by Chong Kim »  
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #8 - 10/24/08 at 10:32:08

Great info! The weather is crappy today so I am gonna head out tomorrow to find some foam... where can I find the gel pads?

Chong Kim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SantaFe, NM
Reply #9 - 10/24/08 at 11:09:09

The gel strip we used came from an upholstery shop. You'll need to trim it (with scissors even) to fit your application. Ask an upholsterer for what you need, and they'll at least beable to give you a source. I also believe the material can be bought on eBay. The piece I bought a couple of years ago was big enough to cover the driver's seat area on two seats so far. I have just about enough to cover my solo seat when we get around to making it this winter. I think I paid about $20 for the whole thing. It's actually comfortable enough that I believe a person could have a REALLY thin seat over a metal pan, and still be good to go for more thanjust around town. We may try that also this winter when we Streetfighter another son's bike.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 10/24/08 at 12:08:16

Excellent step by step posted with pix: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1184866386/0#0

FSO
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #11 - 10/24/08 at 13:44:51

Sweet link Joe! I already have an idea... I am gonna make a seat very similar to a Lapera but with less padding!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Material for Seat....????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.