Solo Seat Comfort? (Read 221 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Solo Seat Comfort?
10/23/08 at 02:46:30

OK, you guys with the solo seats. Just how comfy are they for looooong rides? I took about a 260 mile round trip on tuesday, broken up by about a 2 hour break between legs, and my rear end still ain't right!
To date, I've done the seat lift, and reshaped the seat pan for a total of about 2inches higher. I've also installed a set of EdL's fantastic forward controls, the 3 inch. (Thanks again Ed!). Despite all this, I was still only able to complete the ride by hanging the heels of my boots off the rear pegs, and riding in a more upright position (hmm, rearward controls?); but I didn't like the "feel". It was like I didn't have as good of a control of the bike.
So I wonder, "What's next?" Is a solo seat the next step? Is it worth it? I'm on a budget (who isn't?), so I can't afford an expensive Buddy Seat, or the like. I make trips from my home to Lubbock to visit my daughter. It's about 300 miles each way. I need something I can get there on in one shot, less fillups. Any suggestions? I know comfort is in the butt of the beholder, but c'mon, my KLR was more comfortable than this.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Re: Solo Seat Comfort?
Reply #1 - 10/23/08 at 04:46:52

Hey Jay
I did a 600+ mile ride in early October and did not have any problems with the solo seat. There is a thread from Paladin about installing his seat.
I bought the same 13 inch seat ,used a little different mounting set up.  On my ride, I rode both Interstate and side roads (rural type). Just like sitting in a rocking chair, for me. I think I spent about 50 dollars for the seat and springs. Possibly 10 dollars on steel flat stock, to build a seat frame that suited me. Good luck on this project. If I can help,you can reach me either by personal message, E-mail,or on the site.

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #2 - 10/23/08 at 05:43:26

I have a bum leg from a bad bike crash I had 2 years ago and rode on the back of that POS seat that came on my 06 with my legs straight out so I can shift with the bad leg. I LOVE my solo now! paid 35 for it off Ebay, 10 for the springs and altho Im payn to have some of my upgrades done it was well worth it to get off the BRICK.  

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Picasso736
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Anderson, SC
Reply #3 - 10/23/08 at 05:57:25

Where can I get this comfy solo seat you folks are referring to?

Is there a specific brand / size for a 06 S40? Thanks!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 10/23/08 at 06:57:41

Comfortable compared with stock.  Mine came from http://www.jirehcycles.com/ part numbers 76-741 and 82-16 (seat and springs)  $56 plus s&h.  ($38 if you go with the 76-742 plastic seat.)

This is a case of "anything can be made to fit the Savage" -- you will have to play around with mounting the seat to get it where you want it.  Jay sounds like he needs it high and back the way I originally mounted mine.  Wife (6'2") looked comfy sitting on it.  I remounted it lower to fit my 5"9" body.  Sluggo, slightly shorter, used the smaller seat and reversed the mounting -- sprung the front of the seat.

For greater comfort:  http://billmayersaddles.com/
Home of the original Mayer Saddle -- "Any Bike, Any Butt!!"
$560 for leather, for just the driver.
They want pictures of your butt and make the saddle to match.  Or you can ride in -- they are just 90 miles away from me!

We once had a young lady posting in here who, unlike us'n who are merely certifible, was certified -- by the Iron Butt Association.  She was certified as having done more than 1000 miles in under 24 hours on her Savage.  She had a Russell Day-Long saddle:  http://www.day-long.com/  $555 for all leather.  THEY NOW LIST THE S40!!

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/23/08 at 07:17:12

,pro tec drivers backrest, hb set back 1",pegs on engine guard,
rockin chair comfort forward controlls next..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/23/08 at 07:42:51

Take a look at this.  Very softly sprung, large seat. All day riding with no discomfort.

http://www.richard-perry.com/HDSeat/HDPoliceSeatConversion.html

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/23/08 at 19:05:35

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like a solo is the next step. Paladin, I'll be folowing your old post on the installation of your solo, and modify as necessary to fit my height and build. Jimmer, I would love to see pics of your seat, and really would love it if you had pics of the install. I may morph yours and Paladin's into something of my own.
Thanks again.

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 10/24/08 at 01:46:17

works for me.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 10/24/08 at 03:36:09

A small horizontal leaf spring might work on the back of your seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/24/08 at 20:41:40

bill67 wrote on 10/24/08 at 03:36:09:
  A small horizontal leaf spring might work on the back of your seat.

I'm glad you posted that. I was thinking along those lines, but thought I might seem a little crazy saying it out loud. It might add more comfort and hieghth.

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #11 - 10/25/08 at 09:20:40

OH look a troll!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 10/26/08 at 06:05:12

Going off on a tangent here, but cripes, I thought Trolls were dead and gone.  Sluggo, trying to restart that '90s fad?

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 10/26/08 at 07:57:27

90's???  The original Troll Doll came out in 1959 and the heyday of the Trolls was the '60's.  

Others have lauded the protective ability of gremlin bells to ward off the road gremlins that will disable you bike as you ride.  But even better than a bell is a Troll -- bells merely chase the gremlins off, Trolls eat gremlins for breakfast.

Of course, a Troll is not for everyone -- the Troll's natural home is under a bridge and they occasionally try to go home, causing the motorcycle to veer off toward a ditch.  Takes a good rider to not crash in such a situation.  You then need to let the Troll go to visit his family and friends, returning in a week or so to pick him back up.  But for those hearty souls able to put up with the Troll, he provides far better protection against the road gremlins.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Solo Seat Comfort?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.