Send Topic Print
Won't Idle (Read 107 times)
86 custom savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Won't Idle
10/22/08 at 21:42:48

Will a bad battery cause the bike not to idle. The carb has been rebuilt, vacuum line has been replaced, idle screw turned all the way in(no difference), mixture screw started at factory setting of 1.5 turns turned out as far as 4 no change, custom exhaust (pilot rejetted to 55), a little poppy, occasional black puffs not constant, occasional blue flame out the exhaust not constant. I'm going crazy here, I just want to ride.  

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Won't Idle
Reply #1 - 10/22/08 at 21:50:19

to be honest i dont know much about bikes but im prett familiar with cars. with a car it is possible for a bad battery to cause a car to not idle. if you give it some gas will it stay running?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/22/08 at 23:32:32

I think someone has said so not too long ago.

check your grounds too.  That will definitely cause issues.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/22/08 at 23:51:29

Low battery voltage can cause it to stop idling. First hand experience. And it appears you are burning too rich.

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/23/08 at 15:49:42

try going back to the 52.5 pilot. i had the same problem when i jetted and put a new cone filter on mine. it would barely idle with the mixture screw all the way in. went back to stock and at 3 turns out on mixture it runs like its supposed too.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 10/24/08 at 14:54:37

measure the battery voltage with the key off.  12vdc or less is too low.   Other people have reported that low battery can interfere with normal operation, not just starting.  Mine ran OK at 12.05vdc but I would have to push-start it.wouldn't start with that voltage.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 12/04/08 at 21:04:38

86 custom savage wrote on 10/22/08 at 21:42:48:
Will a bad battery cause the bike not to idle....

I believe the answer lies in the type of alternator/generator the Savage has.  I'm no expert, but here's my current understanding:

The FSM calls it an "AC Generator."  This implies that the unit uses permanent magnets to generate the needed magnetic field.  If this is the case, the bike should be able to run without the battery.

FWIW.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 12/05/08 at 11:39:09

Though I've not had to deal with it personally, it has been reported repeatedly on this site that low battery voltage will make the Savage's CDI ignition unreliable. It needs a good hot battery to run right.

I've had to put new batteries in all three of mine shortly after buying them, but I had slow starting problems with the dying batteries before any problems with them not running right.

If your battery is borderline weak anyways, your bike isn't going to start at all for long. So...   Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:15:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't Idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.