Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wont start (Read 48 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
wont start
10/15/08 at 11:08:24

Sadstarted bike yesterday and it ran for about twenty seconds and cut out wouldn't start any more,checked spark, good, but plug wet, compression good, valves going up and down as they should, half tank of petrol,checked feed lines vacum and fuel,ok. Put new battry on and turned her over without plug to clean out cylinder and put a new iridum plug in, it ran for about five seconds and stoped ,no start, took out plug and it was wet again,, she seems to be flooding  the cylinder with petrol could it be the carb?? I have tried everything I can think of,,anybody got any ideas,,they would be much appreciated thanks,k

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: wont start
Reply #1 - 10/15/08 at 11:19:39

I know you've been working on it, but don't recall what you've done since it was last running.  So give us a run down, where are you at?

seems if the plug is wet it is flooding.
choke?
airfilter?
main?

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 10/15/08 at 11:20:37

I does sound like you're flooding pretty badly. What size of pilot jet you got in the carb and have you done anything with the pilot/air screw?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #3 - 10/15/08 at 11:53:18

I put a new cam chain on it 167 miles ago and evrything ran fine, I don't know about the carb as I haven't touched it,YET!! but the bike was running fine untill yesterday  when I went to go for a run on it it just would'nt start, is there anything in the carb that would have worn out or broken that would cause the flooding, the airfilter is fine, cheers

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #4 - 10/15/08 at 11:56:18

PS, I am in the Outer Hebrides on the west coast of Scotland the Island Of Lewis

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/15/08 at 12:32:03

You might check for a stuck float in the carb.  The float needle seat could have something in it that is keeping the needle from seating completely.

I know you checked the fuel and vacuum lines, but you might try capping the vacuum port altogether and running on prime to completely rule out a malfunctioning petcock.  The reason I say that is because it really sounds like a leaky diaphragm.  

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #6 - 10/15/08 at 14:17:21

Thanks steely,I have done everything else so it's now carb time.I have never been near this kind of carb before, so I am a bit apens.aphr.( cant spell it) a bit wary of the procedure, but not tonight , a kind of a gale blowing and the shed is kind of draughty and have had enough today and yesterday, be seeing nuts and bolts in my sleep, tank of in three minutes flat, head cover off in five, Is it a straight forward job striping the carb and if the float is sticking would the petrol be dripping out as with the older type of carbs, thats why I didn't think of the float as everything is dry, so I'll  syke myself up for the unknown tomorrow before the birds wake up

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/15/08 at 15:11:13

kennycreed wrote on 10/15/08 at 14:17:21:
if the float is sticking would the petrol be dripping out as with the older type of carbs,

Yeah, I would think that it would be coming out of the vent tubes if it were a stuck float.  However, I had that problem with one of the carbs (same type, just 4 of them) on the GS, and it would cause the cylinder to load up, not fire, then gas would pour from the carb.  Gas would only start leaking out the vent when I was at speed.  After I took it apart and got all of the trash out of it (old rusty tank), I put an inline filter in and had no more problems.  

The carb is a pretty straightforward job, no need to be apprehensive.  Just take your time and put the pieces on a clean, stable surface in the order you took them out.  Good luck!

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:18:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wont start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.