Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finding TDC compression easily (Read 491 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Finding TDC compression easily
10/13/08 at 17:19:26

Here is a trick I just thought of to easily find the Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke. As another member pointed out, it is so obvious, that it was easily missed by most of us.

Here's what you do.

1: Set the bike upright as best you can so when you remove the timing inspection plug you won't lose a bunch of oil.

2: Remove timing plug.

3: Get 17mm socket and ratchet (I used a 3/8 drive breaker bar)

4: Here's the trick, KEEP THE SPARK PLUG IN now turn the engine the same direction as the wheels which I believe is counter clockwise. When you feel the engine is hard to turn you know you are on the compression stroke.

5: When you feel the difficulty in turning the engine, stop turning, now remove the spark plug, place a straw inside the sparkplug hole.

6: While watching the straw, slowly turn the engine until the straw is all the way up. You are now at TDC on the compression stroke without having to guess.

If you do go past TDC, just remember you were on the compression stroke, so all you have to do is go around once, which will be the exhaust stroke, then go around a second time which be back to the compression stroke..

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 16:02:08

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Finding TDC compression easily

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.