Send Topic Print
big bagger savage! (Read 246 times)
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
big bagger savage!
10/13/08 at 08:50:35

These are from a 1980 Yamaha 1100 - prepped em, covered em each with a can of black spray laquer and with the help of a dremel tool, various files, a hacksaw and a piece of flat aluminum stock (gently shaped over the rear fender), got them on!

had to remove the stock turn signals and found an assembly from an old moto guzzi to use in their place. I need to creatively apply some weatherstripping for a couple spots that rub the shocks and figure out a more elegant way to run the wires for the signals still (realized afterwards I should have run them through the same hole under the pillion that the brake light wires go through) , but otherwise, i think it'll work for me.

now I have a 50 mpg grocery getter! they had some chrome bars that went around them, but at that point it just started getting TOO wide.

I was going to go for some of those inexpensive mutazu hard bags but was concerned that they would be too small, I really wanted bags I could use for more than a rainjacket or something like that.

Got the pair used for $50, and then maybe another $50 in various parts , paint/paint supplies and hardware (taillight assembly was $10 used)

Just have to rethink my dismount! (My leg hits one of them when I get off the bike.)

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Re: big bagger savage!
Reply #1 - 10/13/08 at 09:08:34

How close is that bracket to rubbing on the fender?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/13/08 at 10:01:42

Nice job!...
Try a 360' sideways somersault with a pike dismount...impress the ladies!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 10/13/08 at 10:19:01

LOOKS good and what a great color  Cool

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 10/13/08 at 12:19:56

Now that's the size bags I want on my bike. Find me a set for $50 and we'll be buddies. And that is a great color for a bike. Next time I feel the need to change my color that one's in the running.

Question. It they are to stay on the bike most of the time, why not do a couple bolt holes through the side rails? You could probably use at least one of the existing holes with a longer bolt. If you need to drill another hole you can use a nice looking chromed acorn nut on the bolt when the bags are off the bike. That way you could put spacers between the sags and the fender to move it out enough to miss the shocks.

One fellas opinion.

Jack

IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #5 - 10/13/08 at 14:35:21

re: How close is that bracket to rubbing on the fender?

It's right on the fender at the top, but I put a piece of weatherstripping on the bottom of the bracket as I was worried about rubbing/squeaking/etc.

I've got about an inch between the bolt holding the 'over' bracket to the bag bracket/frame, I may put a rubber spacer in there though it doesn't look like it will mar the side rail.

I didn't want to drill through the side rails because I juts hated to drill a new hole - but the acorn nut when they come off is a real good idea.

Those stock brackets are aluminum and are attached at the top shock mounts in the front and with the over bracket, they are nice because they have a 'shelf' on the bottom which supports the bottom of the hard bags and actually bolts to them there. So I can get away with a 12 pack in each one and not have too much concern about weight or sagging towards the inside.

Actually, in thinking about it, I COULD cut off the tabs that mount to the shock mounts and still use the stock bracket. hmmmm

I would have liked a little glossier finish on the bags, they are more a satin right now - I maybe could have buffed the lacquer out I suppose, but I like them how they are.

All total with figuring out how to attach them, painting and whatever tweaks I've got about 7 hours into it. The bags were in rough shape when I got them.

Now for some fwd controls and a better seat and I will be fini for now(?)

In regards to the color - Yeah I really dig it, it's a candy orange and it also has candy red skulls airbrushed into it (can't see them in those pics, but in the sunlight up close they really pop out) - I was unsure if I would like the color when I got the bike, but it has grown on me.

Thanks for all the compliments! I am real happy with how they came out. I am going to watch if the bottom of the right one gets too hot and if so, may figure some sort of extension so the muffler kicks out at the back of them.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #6 - 10/13/08 at 15:01:19

Have you calculated the internal capacity of those bags in units we can all relate to....12 oz cans? I'm thinking you you could bring at least 48 cold ones to Biketoberfest along with enough ice to stay cold all the way from Gainesville to Daytona.  Just a thought  Grin

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 10/13/08 at 17:02:31

calculations are in order

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/14/08 at 12:07:41

Just load it & come park it. We'll empty it & check them each for how well they are kept cold & we will "Inventory" them properly. I'll even post the report!( Soon as I get to feeling better after such an exhaustive inventory)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #9 - 10/15/08 at 17:07:54

Well I haven't done the 12 oz can test yet but I did bring home a 14lb box of cat litter, a gallon of milk, a gallon of orange juice and some frozen pot pies home in them today!

I'd be all for loading it up for Daytona - I am going there this weekend but not riding unfortunately, my band has a gig in New Smyrna Beach (juts a little south of Daytona)... Friday night at the Doghouse Saloon! FREE [END SHAMELESS PLUG]

IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #10 - 10/15/08 at 17:11:58

and BTW - after riding a day or 2 with them I went and added a spacer made from a  rubber stopper between the homemade bracket and the side rail and also redrilled the holes in the stock bracket and moved the bags back about 2 inches, now they clear the shocks except when they are loaded down heavy, but I applied foam weatherstripping to the back where they might hit the shocks under heavy load

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:13:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › big bagger savage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.