Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wrong Way 'Round?? (Oil Change woes ...) (Read 120 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Wrong Way 'Round?? (Oil Change woes ...)
10/13/08 at 03:00:04

Well I've always done my own oil changes on all of the Bikes I've owned and never once had a problem ... and seeing how I've done at least 10 on the LS650, I figured I could do 'em with my eyes closed. Complacency will get you every time ... Sad

As the Riding Season is just about done up here, yesterday I decided to the usual pre-storage oil & filter change ... and it was with a heavy heart that upon pulling the filter cover, that I noticed that I had inadvertantly placed the little compression spring on the motor side of the filter instead of the cover side the last time I did an oil change Sad

When I brought the Bike home in June, from her previous home 550km away, myself and a pal did a couple of hasty oil changes on mine and his LS650's out in the driveway ... I usually like to do these things alone without distraction and take my time ... but, it was a bitter cold day and we were in hurry to get 'em done ... and in our haste, my Bike ended up with the spring on the wrong side of the filter ... filter was in right way though ... Embarrassed

Question ... the Bike had been Ridden about 1100km (700mi) since that initial oil change (without a hitch I might add), with the spring in wrong and the oil that I drained off still looked reasonably clean. What are the ramifications of having that spring in wrong? Can I expect trouble down the road?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Wrong Way 'Round?? (Oil Change woes ...)
Reply #1 - 10/13/08 at 07:17:32

some or all of the oil will bypass the filter.
Since it was clean oil, no big deal.
It's not like you put the filter in backward, shutting off flow all together.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 10/13/08 at 07:39:40

Thanx verslagen! I did run the Bike for 700 miles after that initial oil change, with the spring installed on the wrong side of the filter however ...

Thinking about it since, that's the conclusion I came to as well, that some or all of the oil may have by-passed the filter due to the incorrectly installed spring keeping it (the filter) from properly seating on the inlet. What I'm hoping is that 700miles of unfiltered oil circulation didn't cause any serious damage inside the motor ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 10/13/08 at 08:46:29

When I was young cars didn't have oil filters,they did burns some oil and motors didn't last as long,I don't think that much hurt your motor unless you did a lot of high rpm driving which am sure you didn't.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #4 - 10/13/08 at 09:18:04

I have over 12,000 miles on my honda rebel 250, and it does not have an oil filter at all, just a piece of wire mesh screen. I don't think you did any damage to your savage.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/13/08 at 09:55:43

My xt225 had a wire screen too.  
Once you're past the break-in shrapnel, I don't think there's much harm...I wouldn't worry about it.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 10/13/08 at 10:06:27

The bike ran fine so I would bet there's no dammage.  It was still getting clean oil circulating and that is the main thing

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 10/14/08 at 00:27:49

Thanx for the replies and reassurances folks! No, nada on the high RPM Riding during that time ... mostly commuting with a few minor Road Trips thrown in ...

I'm kinda kicking my own arse over this 'cause I installed that freakin' spring backwards in spite of the fact that I knew better Roll Eyes ... that and the fact that I should never have parted with my original '03 Savage which I bought brandy-new and knew intimately ... butt (pardon pun) that's a whole other story ...

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 10/14/08 at 02:51:09

I took my spring and tightened up the one end so that it stays on the filter cover.

A pair of needle nose pliers and a tiny tweak.  Doesnt' take much to make it hold on.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 10/14/08 at 07:29:11

Great advice! Will be doing that next oil change for sure! Thanks again!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wrong Way 'Round?? (Oil Change woes ...)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.