Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backfiring and Stalling vs. Running Out of Gas? (Read 134 times)
Blissing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Berkeley, CA
Backfiring and Stalling vs. Running Out of Gas?
10/12/08 at 09:58:19

I went on my first long-ish ride the other day and as I was nearing the end I was coming down a very gentle descent and into a lower speed limit zone.

My bike started backfiring, almost constantly.  I thought to downshift, but that didn't help, and eventually it stalled.  It turned, but wouldn't start again.  I waited for a while and tried choke in, choke out, and finally, after a few coughing starts and stalls, started up again.  It stalled again about a mile from home; same routine.

It didn't occur to me til later that I could have run out of gas!  Except, I'd only ridden 80 miles on what was my first fill-up.  Is it possible? I am a big gal.  Did I unknowingly not fill my tank up all the way?  Is this what a bike sounds like when it runs out of gas?

TIA.

P.S.  I finally got up to 60mph! [A big deal for me, and just to remind you all what a newbie I am.]

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Backfiring and Stalling vs. Running Out of Gas
Reply #1 - 10/12/08 at 10:19:48

Remotely possible that you ran out of gas.  If you had just made a hard right and sloshed most of the remaining gas to the right side of the tank.  Then you ran out, and during restart sloshed a bit back to the petc0ck side.  You do have a reserve setting too, on the petc0ck lever.
If not, try raising the idle speed a little bit, Left-side of bike under petc0ck, knurled screw, you can turn by hand.  
Also check the petc0ck to carb vac line for any gas, (should have none), right-side of carb, hose usually covered with chrome spring.  Pull it and see if there's any gas in there.
Fill the tank with the bike upright, I usually do it sitting on the bike,up to the edge of the tin tube in the filler hole.  If you fill to that point while on the kickstand, when you upright the bike gas will often overflow from the cap.  Messy.  Some folks risk it, to get maximum amount.  I get 100 to 120 miles before reserve, the way I fill up.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 10/12/08 at 13:28:54

I had to hit reserve yesterday for the upteenth time this season. Now I know exactly what it feels like. The sudden loss of power is the indicator, a couple of burps and then dead. Yesterday I hit the reserve as soon as I felt the power loss without missing a beat.

FSO
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 10/12/08 at 14:12:45

While I have seen several people fill their motorcycles while sitting on them, I do not recommend it. There are a couple of reasons. One is spillage. If you manage to spill gas on the tank, either from an overflow or a mistake with the fuel nozzle, there is a good chance some of it will run down the tank into your lap. From experience with fuel leakage from Zippo lighters, I can assure you that you probably won't like it. The second reason is fire. You are probably refueling a motorcycle with a hot engine (you just rode it there). It is unlikely, but there is a chance that fuel vapors could be ignited from either a static spark or from the hot engine/exhaust. I prefer to be standing beside the potential fire, instead of straddling it.

Chances are you will be getting off the bike anyway, perhaps to use the restroom, get a snack, or even go inside to pay. Some places you'll have had to go inside to prepay before you fuel. Might as well get off before the fueling operation instead of after.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/13/08 at 00:55:43

Blissing,

It sounds very much as though you ran out of gas.  When that happens, just flip the little reserve dial forward and on you go (to the gas station). Wink  I have gotten very good at this because I run it to reserve almost every tank.  There are not many gas stations out here and I don't always time it right.   Grin  We keep a 5-gal can in the garage just in case.

You'll get used to that no-fuel feeling...cough...cough...bike slowing down...putt putt putt, reach down, flip to reserve....ahhhhh blood is flowing again!

And congratulations on reaching 60 mph.  While speed is not the first goal for me, there is a little thrill in seeing those numbers for the first time. Cool  Be safe!!

Glad you're enjoying your Savage,
Amy

IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #5 - 10/13/08 at 08:58:06

Once I began to get comfortable with riding, I intentionally rode until i ran out on the main setting. I did this just so I could know what it feels like to run out and have to switch to the reserve. I was actually slowing down for an off-ramp at the time so it was a little strange but the continued backfiring and lack of acceleration when I needed it told me all I needed to know.

Btw, congrats on hitting 60mph. Enjoy the 60mph vibration? Its nice because then you don't need to look at the speedo. Give it a few weeks and you'll be opening it up to top speed. Mine maxes out at about 85.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 10/13/08 at 21:58:53

Charon wrote on 10/12/08 at 14:12:45:
While I have seen several people fill their motorcycles while sitting on them, I do not recommend it. There are a couple of reasons. One is spillage. If you manage to spill gas on the tank, either from an overflow or a mistake with the fuel nozzle, there is a good chance some of it will run down the tank into your lap. From experience with fuel leakage from Zippo lighters, I can assure you that you probably won't like it. The second reason is fire. You are probably refueling a motorcycle with a hot engine (you just rode it there). It is unlikely, but there is a chance that fuel vapors could be ignited from either a static spark or from the hot engine/exhaust. I prefer to be standing beside the potential fire, instead of straddling it.

Chances are you will be getting off the bike anyway, perhaps to use the restroom, get a snack, or even go inside to pay. Some places you'll have had to go inside to prepay before you fuel. Might as well get off before the fueling operation instead of after.

and an opinion it is.   i have always straddled. i hae never over filled and twice i've thrown the pump handle down because it wouldn't shut off.  i prefer being able to push off and away from potential danger at pump.

many times i ride up insert card, fuel, leave without ever getting off machuie.

i'm not saying either way is right, what is right is what works for you,  this works for me.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Blissing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Berkeley, CA
Reply #7 - 10/13/08 at 23:21:01

Thanks people.  I will try the reserve and a short ride directly to the gas station tomorrow.  I'll check in after!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/13/08 at 23:25:49

Well for one,..I know the agony of the zippo burn, and have a constant rash to prove it... Yikes!...
Safety wise,.... I think staying on the bike actually reduces the chance of static spark, being that you remain grounded to the bike,... and a hot engine mishap,  is almost impossible because gasoline is not volatile enough to ignite from heat,(learned that on Mythbusters on Discovery channel, they tried to light gas with a lit cigarette and couldn't)...it needs spark...and since filling to the edge of the filler tube, while on the stand, will nearly always cause overfill, which seems equally dangerous to spilling while sitting....

Also, I'm admittedly somewhat lazy......so,...
I take the easy way out.

So, I always fill sitting down,...
Then I get off, and go pee,...stretch my old bones,.. have a smoke,... pick the bugs off my faceshield,... scratch my itchy head,...pull my shorts out of,....etc....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/14/08 at 08:57:03

Ima Sitandfiller, too. I can see in the tank easier, slosh it to burp it with my legs, too.

I have run out O gas at stops & during a slow down & approach to hard braking & a turn, so now, when I get 80 miles on the tank, I flip it to reserve at times, then back to ON in other places, I just dont want it bucking & snorting in a turn or dhutting down at a stop sign.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blissing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Berkeley, CA
Reply #10 - 10/14/08 at 18:22:01

Yup, pretty sure it was the gas.  Tried to start it twice and it wouldn't.  Switched it to pri and it started up right away.  Filled it up as much as I could and went for a 15 mile ride.  No problems.  Yay!  I hope that's the extent of the problem.

Thanks, people!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:18:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring and Stalling vs. Running Out of Gas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.