Send Topic Print
exhaust pipe blueing (Read 73 times)
03svrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

exhaust pipe blueing
10/11/08 at 18:31:50

I put a jc whitney baffled exhaust pipe on my Dad's 05 s40. With just installing the pipe, removing the air fuel mixture plug, and adjusting the mixture as per the instructions found here the new pipe blued alot at the point on the pipe where the baffle starts inside and to where the new pipe connected to the old header.
Is that a bad sign?
I didn't do anything else to the carb either. I have a jet kit I can use but the bike ran fine without doing anything after installing the pipe. Revved fine with no hesitation all the way through from zero to full rev. My Dad says it seems smoother when he test rode it and performance definately hasn't decreased.
I also can't seem to get a good seal no matter how hard I tried moving the adapter around that came with the new pipe. There is a leak in that area that causes some popping but my Dad likes it. Everything else was great. Real easy install.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: exhaust pipe blueing
Reply #1 - 10/11/08 at 20:24:56

Blueing is a sign of heat, but the fact that it is happening on what should be the cooler part of the pipe and not the OEM header pipe makes me think two things could be in play

1) Same heat as before , cheap pipe. Lightweight chrome plating, and/or poor insulation inside the new pipe would make it discolor when the stock slip on would not.
2) Excessive heat, good pipe. Air inleakage at the slip-on joint is generating some extra heat. A richer idle mix could result in some unburnt fuel passing thru the cylinder and when it combines with some more air it pops in the pipe.

If the power is really smooth from idle to full throttle there's no reason to rejet IMHO. I'd try to figure out how to get the pipes to mate better to eliminate air inleakage first. I've heard of people slipping pieces of a torn aluminum soda can stock around the joints to make them mate up but I never tried it.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 10/11/08 at 20:53:33

I'm not sure this works or not,but I heard if you wrap about 18" of thick copper wire around the header as close as you can to the head,it will stop the pipe from bluing,if you polish the wire first it looks kinda retro, I would have done it to my bike but the pipe was blue when I got it,it only supossed to work on new pipe ????????

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/12/08 at 05:01:07

When I got the Supertrapp the instructions were Clear, CLEAN the thing up, the manufacturing oils would discolor & the warranty wouldnt cover it.

Maybe your pipe needed cleaned good first?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 10/12/08 at 08:06:59

I made the mistake of NOT cleaning my supertrapp good enough and it blued on me. IF the bike is still running good and there isn't any air leaks then that is probably what happened (not cleaned enough).

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust pipe blueing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!