Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help. Slipping clutch. (Read 54 times)
atgep
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need help. Slipping clutch.
10/09/08 at 18:39:38

Ok, Now I am stumped.

I have a new to me 86 savage. The clutch was slipping when I bought it. I put new wear disks in it and the slipping went away for about 100 miles.

I then ordered new srings, and another clutch pack. Upon disassembly, the 100 mile clutch has one plate that had no cork left on it. So I replaced the clutch disks for the 2nd time.

Now it is still slipping above half throttle.

I am stumped and have a few questions.

What does the o-ring do that goes into the center of the clutch (release push thing)?

Do I need to replace the drive plates along with the friction disks? The original ones look ok and I de-glazed them before re-assembly.

What function does the wave washer serve that goes on the outside of the clutch pack?

Does the manual accurately depict the instalation? (ie the center bevel raised towards the outside of clutch)

I am really stumped at this point and dont want to keep throwing cash at the clutch if I am not getting anywhere. Any tips/tricks or ideas? Please help.  I am in the middle of the MSF course and will baby it till I am done but need to get this fixed.

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Need help. Slipping clutch.
Reply #1 - 10/09/08 at 18:48:07

heard others say to soak the cork in oil before install

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 10/09/08 at 19:23:41

Do you have a little slack at the clutch lever? should have about a quarter inch,pretty obvious really but I thought I would mention it,just incase this is your first bike,please don't take offence.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
atgep
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/09/08 at 20:21:58

No offense taken. The cable has plenty of slack and the cork was soaked before install.

The clutch does seem to be "dry". I would expect the clutch to be dripping wet with oil but mine has an oil film but otherwise not too wet.

The owners manual calls for washers to be stacked in a certain order to prevent blocking oil to center of clutch. How does oil get to the center of the clutch?

If the inside of the engine is damaged, I would like to know before the "bomb" goes off. I would also like a bike I can take above 50 without fear of destroying another clutch.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:48:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help. Slipping clutch.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.