Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
reconditioning old gas tanks (Read 199 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
reconditioning old gas tanks
10/09/08 at 10:02:12

I'm dreaming of swaping out my tank for at least a 3.6 gallon used older tank. My budget can only afford used and mostly I'm finding dented tanks to work with. I'm good with the body work painting aspect but what about surface rust inside. How do I treat it to return the tank to service?
Thanks for offering up hope, Seviersavage

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: reconditioning old gas tanks
Reply #1 - 10/09/08 at 15:41:05

The inside of the tank can be cleaned and coated using a product made for gas tanks from POR15.  There are other products out there, but POR15 is the only one that I have never heard any complaints about.  They sell a kit that comes with an acid solution to wash the tank out with first, then coat according to the directions.  Please remove the petcock first unless you don't plan on ever using that one again.

My gas tank on my '58 Chevy was in pretty bad shape inside when I got it.  I took the tank off, dumped some MEK (Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone) in it and a three foot length of logging chain, then shook the piss out of it.  It cleaned it up enough that I am able to use it without coating the tank.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 10/09/08 at 16:28:26

+1 on the POR15

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 10/09/08 at 16:30:09

I've got a 5 gal dented Harley tank on the way that I'll have to  recondition & paint so I've been doing some research.

I've heard good reports about this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/CYCLE-TANK-SEALER-KBS-Coatings/dp/B000IBDIX2

and another product called Kreem

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-use-the-KREEM-Gas-Tank-Sealer-Kit_W0QQugidZ100...

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/09/08 at 17:18:17

Yes the KREEM kit works great.

But me being a cheap azz I just put in a few cups of Kerosene or Diesel and a pack of BB's and shake the hell out of it, pour out and repeat if its really bad. Then use a good filter to catch any left overs.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #5 - 10/09/08 at 17:23:03

The bargain basement solution is pea gravel and muriatic acid. But then you have to neutralize it.

Good point about the filter! Would be critical to install an inline fuel filter after all the work is done to save the petcock and carb jets. Nomatter how clean you get it you'll still have little floaters for a few tanks at least, even with the coating products.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/09/08 at 17:58:22

O.K.
I've already used por15 on parts of a truck builup so I trust their products, and thanks for the links to others.

Depending on the severity of the tank I could go the bb way Smiley
Thanks for the help
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 10/09/08 at 18:05:57

I got my ninety-nine cent tank cut in half, horizonally.  It is an older tank, had been dented and bondo'ed, and redented, and had some sort of tank sealant sloshed around inside.  It is FUGLY inside.  I'm going to clean it with the sand blaster!  Then put it back together two or three inches taller.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 10/09/08 at 18:48:42

My dented 2006 S40 tank arrived yesterday. The dent looks smaller, and not as deep in person. Inside looks fine also, but I'll still clean it up. Just for the heck of it, I'm going to try one of the suggestions on the site EssForty posted on the other thread to try and pull it out. Fire and ice are good.

FSO
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/09/08 at 21:18:04

I used por15 on an old Honda Shadow. Works great.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/09/08 at 21:21:39

Ospho is about $12.00 for a quart at Kelly-Moore. I keep one around, bout time for a new one, last one is over 3 years old. Phosphoric Acid turns Iron Oxide into Iron Phosphate, Check it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/10/08 at 07:49:49

Paladin,

When you put the tank back together are you welding it? Do you think some of the newer body panel epoxies would hold up to gas?

Is that a lap weld or but weld? I have a mig and replaced about nine panels in my old 79 ford but I'm not sure my welding would be up to a gas tank fix.

But its an intruiging possibility, custom upsize a stock tank.
Dang, another choice in the mix Tongue
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 10/10/08 at 11:30:12

had my bike a few months and went to a bike rodeo with guys from work that all ride HD's.  after that we were heading home when one of them kicked someting up off the road and it hit my left thumb which hurt like hell.   a few miles up the road we stopped to FIX his HD <--- (imagine that  Shocked Grin) and I saw a golf ball sized dent in my tank,  man  I was PO'ed but got over it so now im goin to split the tank take out the dash/dent and make it bigger then seal it and get a Dakota Digital on the bars.  I have seen POR15 used seams to work well.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 10/10/08 at 16:05:10

seviersavage wrote on 10/10/08 at 07:49:49:
Paladin,

When you put the tank back together are you welding it? Do you think some of the newer body panel epoxies would hold up to gas?

I was thinking of flanging and soldering, or maybe brazing.  Then, just in case I leave a small unsealed spot, a inside coat of a gas tank sealer  (saw such on the web, will have to hunt for it again) that claimed to seal holes much larger than any I'd leave.

By modifying a stock tank I get to keep stock mounting and (rather important to me) the narrowness of the stock tank.  I don't think a two inch taller tank would be really noticeable unless you were near a stock Savage.  Two inches, plus losing the speedometer hole, should gain me 1 to 1.5 gallons, three inches should be 1.5 to 2 gallons increase.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/10/08 at 16:07:51

I have a flanging & hole punching tool if you need it. Pay the freight tp you & ship it home, its yours for the project.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:41:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › reconditioning old gas tanks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.