Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
car tire on the 07 s-40 (Read 313 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: car tire on the 07 s-40
Reply #15 - 10/12/08 at 09:48:50

Looking at your cut/pic, I still see 1/3 of the wider car tire engaged during hard assed cornering.  This is more rubber engagement than the bike tire ever has looking at it widthwise and the flattened radial car tire engagement patch is longer than the bike tire's contact patch as well.

Superimpose the smaller round section of the bike tire over the car tire and you will see what I am saying -- darkside radial car tires do not sacrifice any square inches of engagement patch when compared to a bike tire, ever, no matter how strongly cornered.

And the extra square inches are a good thing, too -- old style standard car tires do not have as sticky a compound as a bike tire out at the edges of things.  This is changing though as triple tread compounds (sticky out at the edges and hard in the center) become more and more common on performance car tires.

Most of the car tires we have been viewing these videos on are advanced design Goodyear tires that DO have advanced silica compounds with triple tread technology -- them touring guys are not stupid and they do know their performance tires pretty well.  They like to buy snow/ice tires (all sticky compounds throughout) or triple tread Eagle GT or Triple Tread Advantage constructions that are long lasting in the middle and sticky out at the edges.

And they like to find them cheap too -- $20 (plus shipping) for long lasting good performing darkside tire was what that last guy paid.  

(Yoda applauds him -- good catch on that one)

That last tire was a 15 incher that was only one size too wide to go into a Savage's fender well -- still, that was as close as a real world tire test for our particular bike as you are likely to find out on the net.

===========================

Now, about killing people ....  

Yup, I almost killed handsome ol' Ed stone cold dead on the spot (but I only bent Toymaker up just a little tiny bit).  But they were both willing participants riding on normal bike tires and I was behind them, not in front of them leading them into situations they couldn't get out of.  

(that was Lancer's job, not mine.  I wuz designated as the epoxy finger feller)

I've only blown one person up on this list and that was our tire kaboom in the face guy.  I think we have all agreed he did a few unique things on his very own to get there, but your point is still very well taken.

For God's sake, please don't follow Oldfeller up into them there mountains.  Don't try to do the mods Oldfeller does unless it seems really easy to do with just a dull flat-tipped screwdriver and an open end wrench.  Don't try to do the really complex things that Oldfeller does because he has skills and knowledge you may not have and that is not readily apparent until you go there, get stuck and can't get back out.  

He makes it look soooooo easy ... and it is right up until it rises up and bites you square in the crotch.

Them Darkside tires surely fall into that "long sharp fangs in the crotch" category.

(see, ol' Paladin is just trying to look out for your well being.  He's concerned about you)

Grin <grin>  Grin

Oldfeller

The Doodle dog sez "Watch out, be careful -- even a floppy eared hound like me has enough sense to be concerned about this car tire on a bike type stuff".  Ya'll listen real good to Paladin -- he's keeping you alive and safe !!

« Last Edit: 10/12/08 at 18:52:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
socal40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/13/08 at 16:53:28

Well this is interesting... After all the input from all of you I've decieded to go aheadand try it! I fully believe that whoever that was that put that massive amount of air in that tire should pick up the Commen sense for dummies book.  Wink I see nothing wrong with doing what everyone else is not willing to or afraid to try. $$ is in short demand these days so why not try to get a tire that LASTS! I'll let everybody know what i think after i get used to it. Thanks all for the great input! I know i really appreciate ALL ideas to help weigh the pros and cons. Cool

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #17 - 10/13/08 at 20:11:16

Just be damm careful.

As for me, I went the IRC Wildflare route.  $180.00 for the complete set, tires, tubes, rim strips, and my labor was free.

Pics to follow once the rear is on the bike. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 10/13/08 at 20:12:20

Freddy's singing to you ..... again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q

oh well, there's always summer after next -- I will still be riding on the same old rear tire and you'll be thinking about Freddy singing to you all over again .... 

.... dumb, dumb, dumb, another $200 bites the dust, hey hey ....

Where is Toymaker?   the next refrain is for him

Metz, Metz, Metz, 888 because you're scared,  hey hey ....

Grin    Grin    Grin

(ol' Doodle dog sez, "Remember -- better your money than your butt  --- jest remember what happened to old Freddy -- keep putting your butt out on the line all the time and your butt will eventually get you in the end ...  

Remember, AIDs or an enticing embankment, dead is dead)

« Last Edit: 10/15/08 at 03:20:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:21:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › car tire on the 07 s-40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.