Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got Caught in the Rain and Didn't Care (Read 183 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Got Caught in the Rain and Didn't Care
10/08/08 at 19:21:10

Had a real good ride today, had to run down to the vet to pick up licences for two of my dogs. Had them there yesterday but forgot (who says getting old is fun) to ask for them so had go back today. Got on the main road and began running into showers, nothing bad just a spritz here and there. About two miles from the vet I could see real dark clouds forming just ahead. Could of turned around but just went for it and rode into the storm. Got to the vet, a little wet, picked up the dog licences and ended up riding the entire 25 miles home in a pouring rain and really didn't care. My boots filled up with rain water, my jacket was dripping and my jeans were soaked but I was enjoying it. Kept the bike at around 50mph and stayed off the center of the lane. Needed some dry cloths when I got home but hey it was all around a fun ride and the bike got washed. Wink Just thought I'd share the wet fun

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Re: Got Caught in the Rain and Didn't Care
Reply #1 - 10/08/08 at 20:24:00

noice!

its the best way to wash the bike! Cheesy

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/08/08 at 20:26:44

only time i stop for rain if its coming down so hard it chokes me (I wear an open face). After you're thoroughly drenched theres not much to do but sit back and enjoy and stay off the paint and manholes. I feel your pain on the soaking boots though. Nothing quite so annoying I think as having the feeling of being stuck in a swamp no matter where you go.

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/08/08 at 20:39:03

Be very very careful in the rain.  All kinds of traction hazards.  Biggest one is center line stripes, fog stripes and crosswalk stripes.  Wet ones are really slick.  So is the center of the lane at stop lights, rain water on top of oil smears is scary stopping or starting.  Bridge grates are a whole new feeling in the rain.  I rode a 500 Triumph Daytona to WWU every day in Bellingham Wa. 35 years ago.  It rains almost every other day there through the winter.  Yep, slid sideways and high sided it once in the rain.  darn Triumph brake pedals were on the wrong side in the early days.
NOTE: I wish someone offered 15 inch rear RAIN TIRES for my S40.  Something like the old Dunlop K70 with real TREAD.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #4 - 10/08/08 at 20:48:05

I ride into downtown Bellingham every day. good news is they are saying it will be a drier warmer winter. I may not have to put the bike up at all this year.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/08/08 at 21:01:33

Just wondering how those guys with the exposed cone type air filters get by.  Get one your bike with a soaked filter and ride in the wet.  I can't help but think the engine would not like it.  Sputter, cough and die?  That is why I'll keep my stock setup.  Also easier to wash the bike without having to put a baggie over the cone.

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/09/08 at 07:13:04

Same thing happened to me on the way to work one day last month and I also thoroughly enjoyed the ride.  Had to lift the visor on the FF helmet so I could see - the refraction from the raindrops had made it impossible to see through the visor.  Like you I was totally soaked and had about a quarter inch of water in my boots, but it was a great discovery to see how well the S40 did in the rain.  He just hugged the road.

Stayed off the paint, the oil and the center of the lane and we did great.  Slowed down and gave more stopping distance.  It was a fun ride and a big confidence builder.

Since then I have bought a one-piece rainsuit and life is easier these days.  Smiley  It's good to know that the rain doesn't have to be a show stopper.

Ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 10/09/08 at 12:32:26

The bike was running just a bit rough at the end of the ride. I have the stock airbox but drilled a bunch of holes in the airbox door so water had to be getting into the airbox and on the air filter. I would think that after riding 25 miles in the rain whatever was going to get wet got wet. Even if the air filter gets wet there is so much air being pulled thru it I wouldn't think that it would cause a problem. The extra water vapor going into the carb would change the mixture density and make the engine run a little cooler. Beside that I would think the water vapor would go on out the exhaust as steam.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/09/08 at 19:53:48

I dont mind riding or getting caught in the rain, I carry my rain gear on me at all times, however I always get nervous on turns thinking the bike is going to slide from under me.  So far it has not happened and I hope it never does but its a thought that I cant ignore.   Undecided

IP Logged
dumdum30
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

south mississippi
Reply #9 - 10/09/08 at 19:59:32

My wet ride was Tuesday boots still arent dry. It was nerve racking at first but got the hang of it in a couple miles then just enjoyed the ride. As for the air filter getting wet, water or steam really doesnt do well in combustion chamber. A little causes predetonation, a lot causes misfires. On a good note it does clean out carbon deposits and smut from rich mixtures.

IP Logged
MickeyX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/11/08 at 09:18:06

About 5 minutes from work the other day, it starts flat pouring. I had my rain pants in my backpack but I figured till I stopped, got off the bike, wrestled them on over my boots (even though they do unzip up to the knees), I would be just as wet and then I'd be inside rain pants without much airflow. So, I rode on. I was only really wet from the knees down. Just damp on my upper legs. Full face helmet really helps and my jacket is waterproof anyway. Not so bad as I change into OR scrubs when I get to the hospital anyway. One thing I forgot... my socks ended up being  soaked. The rain had run down into my boots from my jeans. My toes were downright pruny until my socks dried around lunchtime.  Grin It rains here 8-9 months out of the year. If I put the cycle up just cuz it was raining, I'd never get to ride. As long as it's not icy or raining sideways with trees coming down, I go out. When it's icy, I don't drive my car either. More because the natives to Portland have no clue how to drive on ice or snow and smack into each other in multiples. I was warned when I moved here from PA and learned that fact my 1st winter here. Take the bus. Of course, they hit those too. Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPE8vL5hlFA

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #11 - 10/11/08 at 16:12:26

I used to live in Portland and I rode in the rain all the time. It's funny how quickly you get used to it. It's a different thing compared to Florida, where the rain comes in torrential downpours and sometimes you simply can't see in front of you. The Portland rainy season (Jan -Dec) seemed to be one non-stop drizzle.
The black ice was another thing, I remember finding my car 3 houses down the street when I parked it outside one night and it slid downhill onto a neighbor's lawn. I swear I was not drinking!  Grin

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got Caught in the Rain and Didn't Care

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.