Send Topic Print
idle problems when wet? (Read 68 times)
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
idle problems when wet?
10/08/08 at 12:22:26

I experienced something odd yesterday.  I rode my bike to work as usual and after I got here it started raining.  Rained pretty solid all day, but not a hard downpour. My bike has sat out in the rain at work before.  When I left in the afternoon, it was still lightly raining.  I started the bike up and it would not stay running.  Had to really stay on the throttle to keep it running and then even after 5 minutes of riding it still wanted to idle down and almost die at traffic stops.  by the time I got home (12 miles) it was running pretty much ok and would idle with no trouble.  It almost felt to me like rain water (or moisture of some type) had gotten into the fuel system somehow.  I wonder if it is possible for rain to have gone in through the gas cap somehow?    I did not ride or even start the bike today yet so I am not sure how it is doing now but my instinct tells me it is fine since it was running fine when I shut it off yesterday afternoon.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: idle problems when wet?
Reply #1 - 10/08/08 at 14:37:07

Water is actually coming in via the fully saturated air at 100% humidity. High humidity has the effect of richening the mix since water vapor displaces oxygen .  I'll adjust my idle speed screw at a stoplight when it behaves poorly in the rain.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #2 - 10/10/08 at 09:28:04

I swore I had a rain/humidty/heat related condition for weeks until I determined the vacuum petcock wasn't acting right until the bike was completely warmed up (and sometimes not even then).  This may not be your issue, but try putting it on PRI if that ever happens again.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/10/08 at 09:50:25

I got so wet once I could feel the spark hit the plug at every beat, sitting at the lights, feet down. Pretty sure it affected the idle, but didnt kill it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #4 - 10/10/08 at 11:17:18

UPDATE:  This morning was the first chance I had to ride again and when I fired it up it was back to normal.  started on first crank and idled just like it always has.  It had to have been the moisture from the rain.  Thanks everybody.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:43:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › idle problems when wet?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.