Re: piston alloy
Reply #15 - 10/10/08 at 13:12:44

Red_Wine wrote on 10/09/08 at 15:21:06:
I got this message from SV og LS:

"Sender: SV og LS
To: Red_Wine

Subject: Links
Date: Yesterday at 20:25:14  
BAT Motorcycles have good connections to Japan and should be able to source you a piston. Here you can fill detailed parts search and if some breakers have the part, they'll contact you. To be honest I'm afraid you won't find a 400 piston at least for a reasonable price. You may need to buy a whole 650 engine which don't cost that much these days. I hope you'll find something to fix your problem.

Maybe someone else is also needing this info.

I have already contacted them, hopefully it will work.

Best,

RW

There were two links which didn't survive copypasting. The links are to a very good British dealer who deal with gray imports including parts and manuals which are very rare outside Japan. The other link leads to a query form through which you can get a price quote from several British breakers. With LS650 these links are not needed as you can get parts anywhere but in this Red_Wine's case LS400 engine parts are very hard to find.  

BAT Motorcycles

Suzuki parts search

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 10/10/08 at 13:46:46

Would it be possible to remachine a 650 piston? I don't know if there is enough metal on the larger piston to allow it to be resized down to the smaller bore. At least you wouldn't have to worry about the wrist pin. I think all that Suzuki did with the 400 was reduce the diameter of the bore and keep the same stroke. I don't know what you could do about the rings, maybe see if a set for the 400 is advailable or find a set that is close and have the piston cut to fit.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #17 - 10/10/08 at 14:30:39

Ed L. wrote on 10/10/08 at 13:46:46:
Would it be possible to remachine a 650 piston? I don't know if there is enough metal on the larger piston to allow it to be resized down to the smaller bore. At least you wouldn't have to worry about the wrist pin. I think all that Suzuki did with the 400 was reduce the diameter of the bore and keep the same stroke. I don't know what you could do about the rings, maybe see if a set for the 400 is advailable or find a set that is close and have the piston cut to fit.

It can't be done, there's too much difference. Also the stroke is shorter, LS400 has maximum power at 7000 rpm.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 10/10/08 at 17:18:14

Thanks for making that clear, I heard somewhere that the bottom end of the engine and connecting rod were exactly the same and the only difference was a smaller  bore. Oh well  Undecided.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #19 - 10/13/08 at 02:42:41

Ed L. wrote on 10/10/08 at 17:18:14:
Thanks for making that clear, I heard somewhere that the bottom end of the engine and connecting rod were exactly the same and the only difference was a smaller  bore. Oh well  Undecided.
I'd assumed the opposite - though it would have to be a shorter stroke and bore based on there being nothing but ditch pumps built in the last 50 years with a longer stroke than bore - I hadn't really thought about cruisers and big twins.
The 1200 Sportster has a 9% longer stroke than bore and the 883 Sportster has a stroke 27% longer than its bore, which is about the same as the 400 Savage would need if it retained the 650 stroke.

Different world to sports bikes - their stroke is only about 2/3 of the bore!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #20 - 11/10/08 at 04:22:32

Hello to all of you following my saga.  I got this message this morning in my Inbox and has brightened my day.  Grin

"Hi Sergio,

Genuine parts are available here for the LS400. There is a set of rings in stock in New Zealand, and we can import a piston and pin from Japan which will take about 10 days to arrive. (Do you not have a Suzuki importer in Chile?)

Prices are in NZ dollars:

Piston $235.97
Ringset $115.81
Piston pin $41.77

Regards,

Tony Koole
HALDANE MOTORCYCLES
706 Great South Road
Penrose
AUCKLAND
NEW ZEALAND
P: +64 9 579 6020
F: +64 9 579 6021
E: haldanemc@xtra.co.nz
W: www.haldanes.co.nz"

Only US$240, plus shipping across the big lake. Not bad after 18 months of blackness...  Cool

I will keep you posted.

Best,

RW

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:18:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › piston alloy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!