Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Effects of the white spacer mode on idling (Read 190 times)
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Effects of the white spacer mode on idling
10/07/08 at 14:29:27

I got those stupid little soft screws out of the diaphragm and did the white spacer mod. Now out of curiosity, does it have any effect on idle speed?

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: Effects of the white spacer mode on idling
Reply #1 - 10/07/08 at 19:08:47

A little more info might be needed.

What are you observing? Do you think you're idling faster or slower after the mod? Had you possibly adjusted the idle speed screw before you did the white spacer mod?  Are you confident that you did the mod properly?

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #2 - 10/07/08 at 19:42:08

I was wondering if I had to readjust the idle mix screw. I wasn't sure if doing the white spacer mod ritchens or leans out the idle mixture. After a ride tonight I adjusted it and ended up right back where I had it.

Apparently the white spacer has no effect on the idle mixture.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/07/08 at 19:46:45

No, the white spacer won't affect idle mixture. It only affects mid-range, about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.

JakeB

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 10/08/08 at 14:26:49

So then does it effect the pilot jet? I'm still kind of lost a little bit on how exactly this carb works. Even after looking at other posts on it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #5 - 10/08/08 at 14:48:43

Here's a graphic from Mikuni that shows when each jet plays a part. Along the left you see the fraction of WOT. You can see the main jet is only in play from 3/4 to WOT, while the needle jet is in play from 1/8th to 3/4 throttle.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 10/09/08 at 13:54:48

So then when slowing down (with the throttle) the pop comes from the Needle jet? I'm having a hell of time with proper jetting. I know my main is too rich, and I'm sure everything else is too lean then.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/09/08 at 14:24:05

Savage_Amusement wrote on 10/09/08 at 13:54:48:
So then when slowing down (with the throttle) the pop comes from the Needle jet? I'm having a hell of time with proper jetting. I know my main is too rich, and I'm sure everything else is too lean then.

So how do you slow down and when does the pop occur?
If you slowly roll off the throttle you are engaging all of the jets transitioning from one to another just as when you accelerate.
If you let it snap shut, you are going from main to pilot suddenly.  Pilots are usually set alittle lean, but snapping it shut and forcing a lot of air thru it will make it leaner.  lean enough to miss and pass unburnt gas into the muf where puff of freash air and a hot pipe will ignite it.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 10/10/08 at 08:30:59

I let it down slowly, I have also noticed a pop when I'm shifting up gears mostly between 1st and 2nd. I need to make something so its not such a pita to  do jetting. So I can try different things with the white spacer in and out. I don't think we are even at 1500 ft elevation here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/10/08 at 08:46:04

When mine went into the cronic popping mode, it was a loose header.

I'm flying at the same height as you.
Normally only a burrito eatin mouse fart on shut down.  Sometimes jalepenos.

check your idle speed and mixture.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 10/10/08 at 10:20:38

The spacer mod will effect fuel delivery, from when you first turn the throttle open, to the time the engine catches up to that throttle position.  It operates when engine vacuum is low and that is during acceleration and when the throttle is wide open.  
The smaller spacer, richens the mix.  
Steady cruise, idle, and deceleration are high engine vacuum, and the needle is mostly closed.

Try raising your idle speed just a little and see if that reduces popping.  Might help.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 10/10/08 at 10:52:44

It seems like a lot of people have trouble with the phillips screws on the diaphram cover.  What's the big deal?  I figured they'd be a little tough so I just made sure I had the correct phillips bit, a little torque and they were out.  Now I can see if I picked up just any old #2 or #1 phillips screwdriver or any screwdriver that was slightly worn out that the screws could strip easy.  The right fitting tool worked perfect for me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/10/08 at 11:07:02

diamond jim wrote on 10/10/08 at 10:52:44:
It seems like a lot of people have trouble with the phillips screws on the diaphram cover.  What's the big deal?  I figured they'd be a little tough so I just made sure I had the correct phillips bit, a little torque and they were out.  Now I can see if I picked up just any old #2 or #1 phillips screwdriver or any screwdriver that was slightly worn out that the screws could strip easy.  The right fitting tool worked perfect for me.  

You can thank the po for that, as he put anti-seize on the threads.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:47:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Effects of the white spacer mode on idling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.