Send Topic Print
Header wrap (Read 175 times)
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Header wrap
10/07/08 at 10:03:22

Anybody out there use a header wrap? If so does it increase engine perf. and how much would you need?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Header wrap
Reply #1 - 10/07/08 at 11:18:07

Theoretically improves performance.
Also known to turn the header completely blue.
Also known to smell after being dowsed with water unless water proofed.

WWW   IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #2 - 10/07/08 at 13:23:04

My header is scratched badly anyways so I do not care what it looks like underneath and how do you waterproof it. Length anybody?

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #3 - 10/07/08 at 16:01:45

Why would it improve performance? Taking heat away from the engine/exhaust?

Also, unless you drive in the rain all the time, is it a big deal if it smells? I am new to all this so forgive me if these are simple questions. When it comes to cars, i am on top of it, not bikes

IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/07/08 at 16:24:19

header wrap is supposed to super heat the exhaust and therefor allow it to escape faster... it's mainly used in drag racing applications for a small speed advantage and so the heat emanating from the headers don't melt other components close to the headers, but it's also used for cosmetic accents. for what it's worth, i dig it.  Cool

i think you need 80" per foot maybe? don't quote me on that though because i'm kind of pulling that out of my a$$, so check with summit racing or something. btw, it looks better when applied thinly in my opinion.

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #5 - 10/07/08 at 16:27:47

ty for the clarification, I've seen it and like the look in most cases too. But at least right now, I wouldn't even consider it but thats me.

IP Logged
DracSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/07/08 at 21:52:26

Along the same lines...

...does anyone have a preference on header wraps? I've heard that some melt, smell, peel, etc.

I'm thinking of doing it on mine in the next few weeks.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Ben

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 10/07/08 at 22:40:50

my brother put some on for me when He had the bike.  It was black but apparently it was just powedered on or something, the color faded fast and now some parts are all white.

I feel like I did notice a little more pickup.  It probably will cause your pipe to have some rust, Im in fairly dry Los Angeles and mine's going that way.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #8 - 10/08/08 at 01:03:18

If you're fitting header wrap for a performance boost, what you get will be negligible if anything - in terms of $ per horsepower it's about the last thing to do on an application like the Savage.  
There is theoretical (but so small almost impossible to objectively measure) improvement to be had from keeping the gas hot and fast, but then gas that has cooled a little takes up less volume and therefore doesn't need to go as fast in the back half of the exhaust!

The real advantage of header wrap for race cars is that is reduces underhood temperatures - and that means the engine is breathing cooler air - thats where the measurable power gains comes from.  For obvious reasons just won't apply to the Savage.

On a bike, advantages are the rough 'n' ready 'look' of the wrap and the fact that the pipe won't burn your ankle any more.  Disadvantages are the cost of wrap (it's not cheap for what it is); likely corrosion of the pipe underneath unless you're in a very dry region; occasional smell; and it tends to look bad after a few months.

First tip - if you really want wrap, get the 1-inch wide stuff rather then 2-inch, because it looks way neater when in place on bends.

Second tip - use a little blob of superglue every now and then as you wrap it (it sticks wrap quite well) to stick the fresh layer of wrap to the one it's overlapping, just in case you slip and let go, so it doesn't all unwind on you before you manage to secure the far end.

Main tip - take the money you were going to spend on wrap and stainless clips to secure it, and put that cash towards saving up for a new pipe instead.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
DracSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/08/08 at 08:39:10

KwakNut, thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated. I was thinking of doing the wrap for a couple of reasons.

1. I have no heat shield and at times my boots/shoes will melt a little bit on there and the smell/mess, while not that much, is unfortunate.

2. There is some fading to some areas of the pipe and I was thinking of an easy/cheap way to take care of that until I got some new pipes.

3. I do like the look of the wrap but don't want to have it messed up, rusting the pipes, needing to be replaced right away either.

Have you used the silicone spray to cover it? if so does that keep the moister out? as I will be living in a humid (Austin) climate soon.

Bottom line is I'm not looking for higher performance as much as appearance and heat protection.

Thanks!
Ben

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/08/08 at 08:57:42

The wrap is made of ceramic fibers, so it won't melt.
I originally got a roll cause I was tired of melted shoe laces and holes in my pant legs.  Now I use leather laces and leather legs.
Wrapped pipes don't disintergrate soon after they are wrapped.  IMO they turn blue and corrode more because of the wrap keeping moisture around the pipe when cool.  The header is a dual wall anyway so even if the outer pipe develops a hole, it won't leak.
while there's some theoreticaly improvement, it's like farting to run faster.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 10/08/08 at 09:44:52

My header wrap is holding up well. It doesn't smoke or stink. (that was for first few days anyway) I did it purely for the look. I bet I'll wring the bike completely out before that pipe corrodes enough to be a problem. I like it, but it's not for everyone.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/08/08 at 12:26:30

KwakNut wrote on 10/08/08 at 01:03:18:
First tip - if you really want wrap, get the 1-inch wide stuff rather then 2-inch, because it looks way neater when in place on bends.
Second tip - use a little blob of superglue every now and then as you wrap it (it sticks wrap quite well) to stick the fresh layer of wrap to the one it's overlapping, just in case you slip and let go, so it doesn't all unwind on you before you manage to secure the far end.

good idea with the super glue. the sealant spray is supposed to help with that issue too but it's a pain in the a$$ to hold on to the pipe/wrap and spray at the same time.

i have seen a guy tie one end of the wrap to a pole and and start the application at the other end while pulling hard as he wrapped the header good and tight.

i've seen header wrap braided too on a "few fancy pants" bikes... some nice and some kooky.  Grin

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 10/08/08 at 16:04:29

The only actual performance application I can see for it would be wrapping the pipes between the exhaust ports and the turbocharger, to get slightly hotter gas into the turbocharger. I think you would need some pretty sophisticated measurements to detect a difference. The other application would be, as already mentioned, to reduce temperatures in the immediate area of the pipe, not a matter of importance on the Savage.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #14 - 10/08/08 at 20:31:07

Thanks for all the tips! Thought it was going to get pretty heated like an oil debate but it did not. I probably won't due to the moisture issue. I live 3 block from the ocean in Monterey, CA so it can be moist here. Hmm.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 06:50:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header wrap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.