Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn Signals (Resolved) (Read 184 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Turn Signals (Resolved)
10/06/08 at 16:59:22

Anyone know how you hook up an incandescent aftermarket turn signal, with just a positive wire, no ground?  I tried running hot to the new signal and ground to the frame, but (working on the back right turn signal) I get noting from the back right and the front right goes double time.  Left side still works fine.  I sanded the paint off of my ground point, so that should be good.  Any ideas?  Maybe cross the ground wires from both back signals, completing the circuit?     Huh

« Last Edit: 10/12/08 at 13:32:49 by eanon »  

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Turn Signals
Reply #1 - 10/06/08 at 17:05:39

think the rears neg are common with the tail will look it up brb..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/06/08 at 17:06:16

there is a short some where due to the right front blinking faster than normal. check to see if the bulb is any good first and then check to see if you have power and grounds with a test light. good luck

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #3 - 10/06/08 at 17:08:43

The only thing I consider to be a true ground is frame or engine block. So much vibration, especially with the swingarm, grounds can be hard to find. Why not just use the regular wire. Watch the wiring, if done wrong your light will 1) be very dim or 2) burn out quickly.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 10/06/08 at 17:14:19

96/97
black w/ white tracer is common/neg for both t.s.,tag light, and tail/brake light...
fast flash is because flasher doesent have enuff load to flash at correct speed..thats an added safty feature on t.s. ckts to show you have a bulb out..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/06/08 at 17:21:10

Quote:
there is a short some where due to the right front blinking faster than normal. check to see if the bulb is any good first and then check to see if you have power and grounds with a test light

Short, that was my first thought.  But I haven't done anything but hook up a new signal and ground to the frame.  Could that have popped something?

Quote:
The only thing I consider to be a true ground is frame or engine block

Grounding to one of the air box mounts, which is welded to the frame.  Paint is sanded.  Should be good,  I would think...   Huh

Quote:
think the rears neg are common with the tail with look it up brb... 96/97 wiring diagram shows black w/ white tracer is the neg/common back there along with the tag light

Yeah, got the black/white as the ground.  (At first I thought green=ground.  Silly Me!)  So can I just cross the grounds from the two rear signals and be good to go?

Thanks for the help.  I know wiring is simple, but it still confuses me...   Shocked

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/06/08 at 17:29:08

Quote:
fast flash is because flasher doesent have enuff load to flash at correct speed

Another thought I had.  After the fact, of course.  So I need a resistor, an electronic turn signal relay, or a new set of signals.  (or just go back to the old ones...., but I don't want to do that!)   Anyone happen to know the specs for the oem singals?  We just started a tech thread on which tach's would work, how about aftermarket turn signals, etc.....

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/09/08 at 18:22:50

So I gave up on the new signals for the moment, tired of being in a cage....  anyway, while I was reinstalling the fender rails/stock signals, I caught the right rear signal's hot wire in one of the bolts for the fender rail.  Result?  Blown relay fuse.  Ok.  So I fixed the damaged wire (cut, soldered, and wrapped with electrical tape) and replaced the fuse.  Now, I have problems.  When I turn on the right side signals the headlight and the signals go dim, and the indicator stays dark.  When I turn on the left side signals, the head light is fine and signals and indicator come on, but don't flash.  Steady on.  The horn doesn't work either.   Huh  Head light (high beam/low beam), neutral light, tail light, brake light and both brake light switches work.  Turn signal relay tests good on both wires.  Rectifier checks out.  Bike starts and runs no problem.  I've been tracing wires with a test light for an two hours and am staring to get cross-eyed staring at the wiring chart!   Shocked  Anybody got any ideas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/09/08 at 18:40:44

Take the right bulb out and check for a short on the high side.
check the low side to make sure it is shorted.

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/09/08 at 18:59:11

Yup.  Ground checks good.  Hot, not so good. Traced it back to the signal switch so far.  Should I assume the relay is good since both sides checked out?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 10/09/08 at 19:13:18

Try removing the front bulb if you are working on the back light or the other way around if you are working on the rear and checking the circuit with a meter. Both turn signals on one side run off a common hot so you might be grounding out one socket thru the bulb on the other end of the bike if the wires are crossed.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Re: Turn Signals (Resolved)
Reply #11 - 10/12/08 at 13:31:57

Well, after hours of tracing wires with a test light, and not really finding anything, I decided to just try and replace the relay.  Turns out, it works!  WooHoo!!!!  Someone else here on the board mentioned this recently, and so I tried it.  Standard 2 prong, 12V car relay from autozone.  After a quick solder, I was back in business.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Here's the one I used:
http://www.connectorsupply.com/catalog/tridon-electronic-flasher-p-350.html
Got it for $9.50 after tax.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: Turn Signals (Resolved)
Reply #12 - 06/09/09 at 20:26:00

I used that exact same flasher, the electronic one and with the turn signals it wouldn't work, but with the hazzards it would. I guess my Led's didn't have enough draw to make it work like it should. I can get them to work with the stock flasher oddly enough. Maybe after I add the rest of my lights it will work like it should.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn Signals (Resolved)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.