Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
gas tank finally painted (Read 424 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

gas tank finally painted
10/06/08 at 06:45:41

so I finally got the motivation paint my gas tank. I sanded it down, removed the silly stickers and fixed the dents and crease from the previous owner. Now she will be ready for buffing tonight. What sort of cloth and wax should I use for buffing?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: gas tank finally painted
Reply #1 - 10/06/08 at 16:15:30

Here's a link to a very good reference on all the steps and materials to use for painting and finishing a motorcycle.

http://www.socalsvriders.org/forums/showthread.php?s=29bbcff0f90a76a9e3a2bda9...

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/07/08 at 06:20:58

very helpful, thanks a bunch.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 10/07/08 at 15:48:38

No problem. Be sure to show us some pics when you're finished. As you know, painting is about 90% prep and 10% spraying. Patience pays off!  Smiley

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 10/08/08 at 09:53:51

Wondering what you did to fix the dents? My tank is shot, so I bought one from a 2006 on Ebay for $13.00. Only problem is that it has a golfball size dent in it. The ideal thing would be to try and fill it. Good info on the site EssForty provided, so I'll keep reading.

FSO
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #5 - 10/08/08 at 11:54:35

I've never tried it, but I have heard about people having success with dent removal by using a piece of dry ice on the dent.  Can't hurt to try!

http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/10/08 at 17:17:01

photojoe FSO wrote on 10/08/08 at 09:53:51:
Wondering what you did to fix the dents? My tank is shot, so I bought one from a 2006 on Ebay for $13.00. Only problem is that it has a golfball size dent in it. The ideal thing would be to try and fill it. Good info on the site EssForty provided, so I'll keep reading.

wow. A tank off ebay for 13.00? I would love that just to mess around with, maybe have to two tanks so that I can swap when bored. Ok So I have a one inch long crease on the right side of the tank it was near the front and just about lead around the rounded edge to the front. I tried the dry ice, no luck since it was a crease dent. I sanded the tank down to bare metal. I did one coat of bondo and let it dry about an hour, block sanded with 320 grit until even and smooth, still a dent so I repeated the process one more time. and voila. I will have pics up hopfully this weekend, but I am working and packing for a move.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 10/10/08 at 19:10:36

Yeah, $13 was a great price. I also get to keep riding with the old tank still on, so no rush. I have all winter. I'll probably start sanding it over the weekend.

What type and grit sandpaper did you use to get the paint off?

FSO
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/11/08 at 08:33:46

photojoe FSO wrote on 10/10/08 at 19:10:36:
Yeah, $13 was a great price. I also get to keep riding with the old tank still on, so no rush. I have all winter. I'll probably start sanding it over the weekend.

What type and grit sandpaper did you use to get the paint off?

I used a sanding block for all my sanding. I scuffed the clear coat with 400 grit. Then I sanded very briefly around the tank with 80 grit. However, most of my sanding was with 220 there after. You will find that sanding around the gas cap, around the  speed-o-meter hole and the bottom trim of the tank quite laboursome. You may not get all of it, however I was told that as long as you can sand down to primer and sand some of that you should be ok. The bondo I block sanded with 220 until just about about flat and even with the tank, then I used 400 to smooth it out. Depending on the depth of the dents and creases, at least two rounds of bondo will be needed. A ding I only did one coat of bondo because it looked superficial, ended up showing itself after I painted. The shinyness of the pearls reflected the slight angles of the indententation. Oh well!!!  I painted outside and not in a sterile enviro because that was not available,  to me, and its starting to get cold here in igloo country (Canada lol) so I got some little bumps in my paint and clear coat. Those get covered by subsequent coats of paint, and clear coat. I managed to wet sand most of the fuzzies away with 2000 grit after the second and final clear coat dried and the paint cured after about 4 days. I buffed away, however I think that I will do a third coat in the spring because I few spots still show.
Good luck and enjoy the process. My job may not be perfect, but this is my first time doing such a job. I enjoyed the process from beginning to end, and am superbly proud of my modest accomplishment. I hope you enjoy yourself as well.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 10/11/08 at 10:02:41

Thanks for the detailed response ODV, much appreciated. I was going to start sanding the today, but it's a beautiful day for a ride. Not many of these days left here in the Northeast, so we must take advantage of them. Gonna stock up on sandpaper, and maybe use YonuhAdisi's suggestion of a drill attachment, along with a block.

FSO
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 10/11/08 at 10:17:34

All you guys playing with your tanks. I've had mine laying in a storage shed for two years waiting for someone to offer me a price + shipping just to get it out of the way. No dents and a cap. A key for the lock too if that same someone wanted to pay for a copy to be made. Oh, by the way it's the Savage yellow that's not the 2000 color.

Jack

IP Logged
rockman
YaBB Newbies

The airbrush
guy......WHO ATE MY
CHICKEN!!!

Houston Texas
Reply #11 - 12/19/08 at 07:24:40

Hey jack 650.....have you gotton painted yet?
Shoot me an e-mail, I'll airbrush or paint what you want!!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/19/08 at 11:38:05

block sanded with 320 grit until even and smooth

I would want a rougher surface to lay the next bondo on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/19/08 at 19:44:18

Justin, How did that go? I found that I preferred the results of the 400 grit. I did quite a bit of experimenting. My bondo went on just fine. I guess to each their own as long as it works. How did you apply your bondo? I mixed mine on cardboard with a butter knife and applied it with a piece of card board lol.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 12/19/08 at 21:20:38

I dont mix mine on anything that can absorb any oils out of the epoxy.It is an epoxy which means amines, I think, are used, anyway, I have a plexiglass bondo board Ive used for almost 30 years.
Ive mudded up a truck that bounced down oilfield roards, a cabover Mack, I hung Bondo so deep over a dent above the headlight I used a welding rod stuck into each side over the headlight. The dent wouldnt opull with the equipment I had, so I opacked it with mud & went on.

I use a rough texture between coats, not to facilitate application, but to make it stay better & resist vibration cracking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas tank finally painted

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.