Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need your help - want to upgrade bike for son!!! (Read 170 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Need your help - want to upgrade bike for son!!!
10/04/08 at 23:37:41

Hi all,

I need your help.  I'd like to fix up my son's Savage while he's away.  He's on a church mission for the next 15 months.  He LOVES his Savage and I'd like to get a few things upgraded.

I'd like to get him a new set of front controls and pegs, a new set of handgrips and top controls. and maybe even a new handlebar.   I would REALLY like to clean up his engine and paint it but I have NO idea how to do anything mechanical.

Where is the best place to look for these things?

Thanks in advance!!

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Need your help - want to upgrade bike for son!
Reply #1 - 10/05/08 at 00:09:59

I'd talk to him and see if he wants these things.
I'm 6', and many of my size would like extended pegs, but I wouldn't.
And handle bars are like underwear, certain kinds will either make you real comfortable or sing a different tune.
Kuryakin Iso's are said to be real comfortable and I'd love for someone to buy them for me...  Wink
I got a set of buckhorns, a set of drags and settled on a low rise set 30" wide.  But a set of 9" high Z bars may have been perfect.  To bad I didn't see them 1st.
It all boils down to what does he want?  All the upgrades in the world won't do any good if he don't want 'em.

Now a paint job... hard not to want a paint job.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 10/05/08 at 05:56:14

What sort of things has he talked about ?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 10/05/08 at 06:06:01

Listen to Lancer.  What, if anything, has your son talked about wanting to upgrade?  A motorcycle is an extremely personal vehicle.  Most of us do our own modifications.  Touching someone's ride without their expressed consent would ...  well ...  umm...

when I was young my family did similar to me -- I considered mayhem, but 'cause they were family I merely threatened promised criminal charges if they ever touched anything of mine again.  35 years later the thought of someone "doing me a favor" and mucking with my stuff while I'm away causes a fight reaction.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 10/05/08 at 07:59:03

I second Lancer and Paladin.

I have often "upgraded" my son's bicycle with ... "things"... lights, a clip-on radio and more.

By day 2 they were either removed, or broke off.

So I learned to ask first.

The point is a motorcycle is very close to being your soul's image, it is very difficult to "guess right" without a specific hint.  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 10/05/08 at 08:22:04

Remember that "upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder. Microsoft thinks Vista is an "upgrade" to XP. Many others differ. If it were me, the most I would do is make sure it is clean and ready to ride when he returns. You might consider such things as a new battery and/or new tires, new air filter, and oil change. Don't do any of it until perhaps a month or less before he returns, so everything is still "new."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/05/08 at 08:29:39

Is he as Non mechanical as You? If he is better, & you really want to see him smile, as noted above, Have it clean, battery up, oil changed, tires aired up, fresh gas, REady to Ride..
Then, offer to pay for the mods he wants & work with him, make it a Father/Son thing. You'll get some experience & if you are both terrible at mechanical things, Go Slow, laugh at yoursleves, learnm, have fun.

Youll be better at it next time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 10/05/08 at 08:53:01

when we lived in orlando we had access to a friends cabin in the north georgia mountains "crabappple cottage" has been in our friends family for generations..normal cabin start up and shut down list was posted, they asked for no money just plant a bulb or two,some got bird feeders etc..and leave a note in the guest book...
one winter visitor left "thanks for the use of the cabin,we had a great time etc...btw found the chain saw and cut down that dead tree"......
you got it he cut down THE tree, the name sake for the cottage..had it all cut and stacked into fireplace size logs...real nice job..he was never allowed back.
get some gift cards for local or on line mc parts...is the bike under cover,bike have an upgraded tool set(not stock toy set)cruz tools has some options...
keep the battery charged up and winterize... mods,paint, me thinks not

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #8 - 10/05/08 at 12:29:28

Ho!  Just noticed you're in SoCal also, whereabouts?  I'm 6.8 miles ssw of the Flash Point of the Rodney King riot.

What you could do is burn thru a tank of gas every month or so, just to keep things lubed and fresh.  How old are the tires?  A wrapped set of new Metzelers might be a nice welcome home present (don't forget tubes and rimstrips.)

WWW   IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 10/05/08 at 13:18:25

Well I'd have to say if the things HE WANTS are to be done. Then the best place I have found for Savage stuff is  EBAY.  all the upgrades I have done to my bike came from there. saved a TON O CASH.  you trim down the search with:  
Suzuki (s40, savage, boulevard)  you can see all the stuff I have done @

http://www.bikepics.com/members/Tincanman/06boulevards40/

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #10 - 10/05/08 at 14:13:26

Thanks guys!  Yeah, he's wanted upgrades for a while.

I'm in OC

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #11 - 10/05/08 at 14:18:41

Tincanman wrote on 10/05/08 at 13:18:25:
....the best place I have found for Savage stuff is  EBAY. ....
Especially if you have the time to wait for the steal of a deal.  I checked in and out for about a year, but managed to snag a beautiful 7" billet headlight that would normally retail for about $200 -- $40 delivered.  

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/06/08 at 22:49:24

if it were anything but my bike or guitar I would just smile and say "thank you" no matter what damage may have been done. Honestly though, while your son is away he'll be DREAMING (im not kidding) of riding the bike he left behind. I suggest you not change ANYTHING. Clean and polish it. Buy new tires even. Don't put them on. Dont pay someone else to do it. Don't paint it. Don't add or remove anything without specifically asking first. If he wants any sort of mods offer to pay for them. If he can tell you exactly what he wants then buy it and leave it wrapped in plastic. If he's interested you can install/mod it together as justin suggested but as sweet as it may seem to you touching someone else's bike no matter how good your intentions are is potentially dangerous. IMO if you REALLY want to surprise him when he gets back learn how to ride and get your own bike. Then you can ride together. Since I started riding all I've been trying to do is to get my dad to put his '74 electragilde back together and ride with me. So far no dice. Im on the verge of putting it together myself but like i said, even if its been in peices for 20 years, touching someone else's bike is potentially dangerous.

IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #13 - 10/06/08 at 23:24:02

Thanks for your thoughts.  My son bought half the bike with his money and then I chipped in the other half.  It's been a great learner bike for him.  My wife is starting to think about learning to ride on it now too.  We'll have to see what happens!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:37:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need your help - want to upgrade bike for son!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.