Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken Clutch Bracket!? (Read 78 times)
daedalus
YaBB Newbies

W.Mass
Broken Clutch Bracket!?
10/04/08 at 17:36:47

So I was trying to loosen the locknuts at the crancase cover to adjust my clutch freeplay--not even touching the bracket with the wrench, and half of the bracket broke off!  Is it possible to fabricate some sort of bracket replacement that can be attached, or am I going to have to replace that whole side of the crankcase cover??  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

'95 Savage, mystery saddle, highway bars, bags, tkat, gaiters, (Big Crank, Raptor, verslavy)
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Broken Clutch Bracket!?
Reply #1 - 10/04/08 at 19:40:17

Try some JB weld, clean up the area of the break and build up all around the broken bracket. The side cases have been factory clear coated so you will need to sand the clear coat off first before sticking it all together with the JB weld.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/05/08 at 01:41:45

Ed, did you ever replace your alternator side cover or did the repair hold up?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 10/05/08 at 15:57:15

I ended up replacing it after trying to patch the crack. I used the low temperature aluminum solder rod form Harbor Freight which worked ok but looked kind of crappy. The thing I really didn't like was that I ended up burning off some of the clear coat on the side cover while doing the repair and had to rattle can black paint to cover up the repair and burnt clear. The aluminum side cover was such a good heat sink that I wasn't able to use my little propane torch, had to get the oxy-aceteylene set out for some real heat to get the rod to flow. The aluminum rod works great on smaller stuff but it was a lot of work on the side cover. I ended up dropping a thrust washer down between the flywheel and stator as I was putting the repaired side cover back on and didn't realize it untill the bike was back together and started. By then I was blessing the POS with everything I could think of. It made a loud whirring as the washer rubbed on the inside of the flywheel, kind of like the starter was engaged. I put about 5 miles on it and tore it back apart. Ended up getting a new side cover and washer from Royayers. While I was in there the second time I slotted the mounting holes on the ignition sensor and was able to bump the timing up by about 2 degrees. Seems to of given the engine another 250-300rpm at the top end, by then I was looking for a way to blow it up which luckly didn't happen. It would pretty easy to make a bracket for the sensor to get more spark advance, I just got tired of fooling around with it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/06/08 at 10:18:05

The way I would approach such a stressed part would be to drill each side of the break & poke either piano wire or cut drill bits to JB weld into it. I would also consider grinding grooves & JB welding rods into the grooves. It would take time, but could be done & look decent enough. If it costs $20.00 for the part, tho, I would spring for it. At $50.00, Id Fix that dude.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:30:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken Clutch Bracket!?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.