Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine removal tips, techniques, gotchas? (Read 229 times)
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Engine removal tips, techniques, gotchas?
10/04/08 at 17:16:40

I think I'm going to shutdown early this season and work on various parts of the bike, spruce it up for next season. I looked for a specific tech link on engine removal, but didn't find anything. So I'm asking all you hardcore grease monkeys here,for any tips, techniques, gotchas, and what have you, as I boldly go where no Cheddar has gone before. Thanks in advance. I've been whacking the back of my knuckles this past week, in preparation.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Engine removal tips, techniques, gotchas?
Reply #1 - 10/04/08 at 21:40:57

justmake sure you label everything. it took me twice as long to put mine back together.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 10/04/08 at 22:58:42

Get the "Clymer" manuel, read as you go.  and keep things neat and clean and labeled.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/05/08 at 09:20:26

The only "Gotchya" I know of is the "Cable Hanger" on the clutch.Where the clutch cable attaches to the lever down on the case, that little "swinging Box" will be hanging Down ( if left to its own devices) & you will either have to mangle it a bit( thats what I did) or pull a lot of stuff apart, to rotate it into position.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/05/08 at 09:34:18

I use cardboard for keeping up with bolts.I still have the ones Ive needed sp far. If you pull one side of the engine off, draw to general shape of the case & mark along the line where each bolt goes, some have special rubberized washers, others dont.( gotchyaz!), poke a slot with your knife & put each bolt in its place, makes going back together a breeze.
When the cardboard thing isnt practical, I put bolts back in holes they came out of, or at least with whatever they held on the bike. No nuts or bolts are just left laying around, they WILL be associated with something to help me remember hopw it goes together.

Meticulous disassembly, using notes if necessary to help remember what parts go where, & a clean workspace, will pay back the extra time spent in disassembly by making it so much less stressful going back together.

Someone wrecked our CamCorder, I took it apart, ordered the parts & waited, parts came about 6 weeks later, but I didnt have time to mess with it. I got around to it about a year & 1/2 after taking it apart. I had put screws with their associated parts, & had set subassemblies together. It took about 2 hours & it works, still. Its all about clues, leaving ourselves clues. I write myself notes & tape them onto things under the hood of a car, Just in case something takes longer than expected..I use wide tape, so the notes are safe from grease & stuff, too. People may laugh at the anal way I do things, BUT, those who would laugh AT the way I keep from shafting mysel;f couldnt come help me if I couldnt remember.
Do it the way that YOu KNow you can find the parts & put them where they belong.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 10/05/08 at 11:40:25

Take it slow and keep a repair manual open in front of you the entire time know matter how good of a mechanic you are. Label parts, make rough diagrams if you have to. Like the that old tale about the rabbit and the turtle, slow and steady wins the race, if you rush, it is almost guaranteed that you will mess something up.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #6 - 10/06/08 at 08:04:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/05/08 at 09:34:18:
I use cardboard for keeping up with bolts.I still have the ones Ive needed sp far. If you pull one side of the engine off, draw to general shape of the case & mark along the line where each bolt goes, some have special rubberized washers, others dont.( gotchyaz!), poke a slot with your knife & put each bolt in its place, makes going back together a breeze.
When the cardboard thing isnt practical, I put bolts back in holes they came out of, or at least with whatever they held on the bike. No nuts or bolts are just left laying around, they WILL be associated with something to help me remember hopw it goes together.

Meticulous disassembly, using notes if necessary to help remember what parts go where, & a clean workspace, will pay back the extra time spent in disassembly by making it so much less stressful going back together.

Someone wrecked our CamCorder, I took it apart, ordered the parts & waited, parts came about 6 weeks later, but I didnt have time to mess with it. I got around to it about a year & 1/2 after taking it apart. I had put screws with their associated parts, & had set subassemblies together. It took about 2 hours & it works, still. Its all about clues, leaving ourselves clues. I write myself notes & tape them onto things under the hood of a car, Just in case something takes longer than expected..I use wide tape, so the notes are safe from grease & stuff, too. People may laugh at the anal way I do things, BUT, those who would laugh AT the way I keep from shafting mysel;f couldnt come help me if I couldnt remember.
Do it the way that YOu KNow you can find the parts & put them where they belong.
Very good advice, especially the cardboard trick, which is ideal for jobs like the Savage head cover.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 10/07/08 at 17:28:25

Thank you all for your replies. This is still the best frickin site evah!
I have my Clymers and and found some old cardboard box I can use. It had some old fancy white wedding dress in it, which I tossed. Should be perfect for the job. Wish me luck!  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/07/08 at 18:03:56

should keep the dress... yours hands are gonna get dirty.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 10/11/08 at 15:11:57

A couple of last questions, are you guys dropping the engine down through the frame, lifting the bike over it, or do you pull it up and out through the side? Looking for the least physical stress on my back. Also what are any of you using to hold the bike up while you work on it? Wheel chock, or straps hung over ceiling beam?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/11/08 at 15:18:21

If I was more concerned about spending back muscles than time, Id set the bike up under something I could rig a sling under, set the emgine down with the sling & hoist the bike up & swing it to the side, set it down, Get back on the engine, lift it into a wagon or something & then hoist it onto a bench. Old crippled up guys can DO the work, it just takes longer.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 10/11/08 at 15:58:47

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 10/11/08 at 15:11:57:
A couple of last questions, are you guys dropping the engine down through the frame, lifting the bike over it, or do you pull it up and out through the side? Looking for the least physical stress on my back. Also what are any of you using to hold the bike up while you work on it? Wheel chock, or straps hung over ceiling beam?  

I usually use a couple of ratcheting tie downs attached to the ceiling beams and the handle bars to keep the bike up right. To get the engine out after disconnecting everything and just grab a hold of it and wrestle it out the left side of the frame.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/12/08 at 08:26:46

WILL this engine pass thru? Can it be dropped down? What is the easiest, least amount of physical exertion method? Rogue is trying to save lower back from getting clobbered.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/12/08 at 08:40:40

won't drop thru
easiest way? get the wife to do it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:34:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine removal tips, techniques, gotchas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.