Send Topic Print
Problems with S40 ? (Read 334 times)
BarkBuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Problems with S40 ?
10/03/08 at 20:55:48

I was looking to buy a 2008 S40 and my local dealer has stopped selling the S40 because they have had a long history of performance and quality problems with this model. So my dealer says he wont sell the S40 untill suzuki address the problems? Is this True ? It looks like a great bike to me. Thanks for any input on this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Problems with S40 ?
Reply #1 - 10/03/08 at 21:02:27

maybe he isnt making enuogh $$ on the Savage. But, as for them not being reliable, Id say Horse HOKKEE,, the model has been on the market for about 20 years,, the bugs are basically worked out. The ones that arent, we work aropund.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/03/08 at 21:11:34

It has a long history period.  How many other bikes are made as long?  A few.  Yes there are problems, it's a inexpensive bike, so there isn't a lot of fancy high tech stuff on it.  But if you ask us, I think we all prefer it that way.  rejet the carb and you got a good preformer.  Watch the maintanance and you'll have a rock solid bike.

Are you new to m/c's?  This is one starter bike that you'll stick with.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 10/03/08 at 22:57:36

Let me guess, your dealer after saying all that bullsh!t then tried to sell you an S50 or one of the bigger twins?

The Savage/S40 is about as basic as they come, yet very reliable. Your dealer is a moron.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 10/04/08 at 01:20:49

I have a buddy that runs a repair shop and the only thing he has seen is they over heat and trash the head. other than that they will run forever if you take care of it.

I agree your dealer is a retard or just wants to sell you a bigger bike.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 10/04/08 at 06:32:02

In my opinion this dealer is lying to you or worse doesn't know the product he is selling. He may want to sell you a bigger MC, or he may not have any Savages because he sold out, or can't get them from Suzuki because he doesn't sell enough merchandise. Whatever, the Savage is a reliable MC, and this is from a person who wen to a bigger ST and sold his Savage, but it had nothing to do with reliability.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 10/04/08 at 07:04:58

If Suzuki dealers really gave a dam* about their customers, they'd rejet the bike before it went on the floor. They'd be giving their customer a 100% better performing motorcycle and they probably wouldn't see them again until the 1st service.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #7 - 10/04/08 at 13:43:58

Mr. Hyde wrote on 10/04/08 at 07:04:58:
If Suzuki dealers really gave a dam* about their customers, they'd rejet the bike before it went on the floor. They'd be giving their customer a 100% better performing motorcycle and they probably wouldn't see them again until the 1st service.

If they did that, the EPA fines would close their doors.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 10/04/08 at 14:41:05

I wont claim to be an expert but I know that I bought my savage with 11 miles on it back in February. it now has 5500 miles on it and they only problem it has had, was when some ass wanted to make a left across my path and I laid it down. A Titanium plate and 300 bucks with of parts later it is running strong.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 10/04/08 at 16:13:26

Bear_Rider wrote on 10/04/08 at 13:43:58:
Mr. Hyde wrote on 10/04/08 at 07:04:58:

If they did that, the EPA fines would close their doors.

Aaaaaa ....   but if you ask for a custom exhaust....  Like you can do on every other bike, they would have to rejet.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 10/05/08 at 06:26:30

If the EPA actually paid attention, those custom exhaust systems are just as illegal as rejetting. Any modification which increases the noise level, whether an exhaust modification or an intake (air box) modification, is illegal for on-road use. Any modification which increases emissions is illegal. Removing the idle screw plug is illegal, even if you don't change the setting. The "white spacer mod" is illegal. Dealerships will tell you they can't adjust the carburetor, and blame it on the EPA, and they will be correct. They will NOT tell you the EPA forbids exhaust modifications, because they stand to make money selling the custom pipes and charging labor to install them. They know if they won't install the custom exhausts their customers will go to some independent mechanic who will - even though it is just as illegal for the independent mechanic.

In my opinion the reason dealerships don't sell a lot of S40s is money. It is a low priced motorcycle, so there isn't as much markup. There are not a lot of accessories marketed for it. That's because accessories tend to be priced the same, no matter what motorcycle they fit. People aren't going to put $2000 worth of accessories on a $4300 bike, even though they will cheerfully do it on a $15000 bike. The accessory makers know that, so they don't bother making the accessories in the first place. Instead, they go for the Harley market, where the same accessories fit lots of models, and where a LOT of bikes were sold.

The same problems exist for other low-priced bikes, such as Kawasaki's 125 Eliminator and 250 Ninja, Honda's 250 Rebel, Suzuki's GN250, Yamaha's 250 V-twin (Star?), and no doubt others. Even if accessories exixted, people are more likely to trade up into a bigger bike (on which the dealership makes its profit) than to buy accessories.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 10/05/08 at 07:34:11

The dealers around here all have at lease one s40,they don't sell good in this area,And they told me a lot of people are disappointed in it,I've seen dealers with used ones with a couple 100 miles and seen them in the paper with just a couple hundred miles on them,main thing is the ride and vibration,and high rpm.which make them not good for the freeway riding.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/05/08 at 08:36:12

And a Supertrapp or Dyna muffler, rejet & chain conversion & Voila...gotchyerself a runner for the slab. As long as you strap some crap on it to make it heavier. BVeat Duck took his from Florida, to Az. to Canada, across to North of New York & back to Florida...Nope, they wont do on the road, Not at all.. His was near stock IIRC.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MickeyX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/05/08 at 09:01:45

I like the savage overall. I've had a slew of problems with my 86 i bought earlier this year but most of it was due to the former owner putting stuff on it or messing with things he didn't understand. There is good and bad about every cycle out there...

the drawbacks for me are... 1)not real comfy for a long ride but the seat can be changed. I've read on here though that it doesn't make much of a difference for most people though. 2)would like a bigger gas tank 3)the carb needs to messed with a bit because of the jets and white spacer but once it's there, it's golden 4)not many after market parts like... i had a heck of a time finding new front footpegs for it. 5)i'm only 5'6" and it fits me well but i can see that taller people may want to go with Ed L's forward control fix 6) biggest pet peeve... the speedometer and indicator lights are on the tank. such a PITA when removing the tank or when riding and having to drop my head way down to check on speed. i wear a full face and can't just glance down. it's a safety issue in my mind. 7) cam chain tensioner POS.
all easy fixes and all found here on this site. they come up every week on here. same ones, over and over. but still, suzuki hasn't thought to fix any of them since the 1st year out, 86. that bugs me.

good bike overall. compared to a yamaha virago, it's a gem. (they sound like a homeless drunk guy with TB coughing up a hairball when starting) i wish they would fix the known faults though. i got it at a reasonable price and will eventually sell it at a reasonable price only because i can only afford one bike at a time and want to do some touring next year. this one won't cut it for what i want to do. it's a good starter bike and if you get one, come on here with your questions. these guys know a lot. then again, they've had to learn it for a reason.

good luck.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/05/08 at 20:49:00

The Savage/s40 has some quirks. The biggest ones involve rejetting, the cam chain tensioner, and the head plug leak. All other "problems" are basically comfort issues. I HAVE noticed however that there have been 2 dropped valves in just the past couple months on this forum. I havent received an answer from the owners of those bikes but I'm willing to bet they're happening on newer bikes. '04 and more recent. If that turns out to be the case there is a grain of truth to "quality issues" which Im geussing are related to the floundering world economy. Lower wages resulting in shoddier work and less or less stringent maint. on factory machinery. Probably also purchasing materials of less quality. I've actually noticed a similar happening going on with newer rebel 250's on the Rebel forum.  One reason I specifically went looking for an '03 or older Rebel when I started riding. If that turns out to be the issue the solution is simple...buy a Savage, not an S40.
Anyhow, with the exception of the three issues I mentioned this bike is excellent. Great mileage, cheap purchase price, relatively cheap maint price, easy maint. Easy to manuever in the city and more than adequate on the interstate. An all around excellent bike. Beyond that you can fairly cheaply and easily modify it to specialize in just about any area you'd like it to accel at. I'm putting on some cast wheels and a chain conversion for touring this winter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:28:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems with S40 ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.