Problems with S40 ? (Read 334 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Problems with S40 ?
Reply #15 - 10/06/08 at 01:27:11

Your dealers info is faulty at best, misleading at worst. I own an '08 S40 and have nothing but good to say about the bike. It does what it was designed to do. I disagree about its capabilities on the superslab. Most of my riding is freeway, and the bike does just fine. All of the issues I've had have been comfort related, and all easily and relatively inexpensively fixed thanks to this forum. As others have said, it's a good bike, easy on the pocketbook, with easy maitenence to boot.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #16 - 10/06/08 at 04:02:34

Maybe every market is different.  I know the regional rep for Suzuki and he can't keep anything under 900cc in any of the local stores; and scooter sales are thru the roof.
As far as the Savage goes, he says it's a fine, simple bike that requires little maintenace and gets great gas mileage.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #17 - 10/06/08 at 04:05:13

I would not consider two postings of dropped valves on a forum an indication of a factory problem.  It is remotely possible, but hardly conclusive from a statistical sense.

Tweaking the Savage is easy & cheap. It takes 10 minutes and about $3 to do the seat lift mod which does improve the seat comfort.  The idle mix screw plug removal takes less than 5 minutes and is free.  Rejetting and white spacer mods have not been required to eliminate backfiring for my bike (I'm at sea level.) Admittedly, the CCT design is an issue, and so is the requirement for frequent valve adjustments and head bolt torquing, but if you are not mechanically inclined you can pay a dealer to do the work with the money you saved on the purchase price.

The ironic part of the EPA regulations is that I can park my 20 mpg cage, hop on my Savage which gives me 3 times the fuel economy, and if I'm one half turn richer on the idle mix I'm suddenly "illegal?". My total fuel consumption, greenhouse gases and actual lbs of emissions are  significantly lower for my commute. <insert rant here>

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/06/08 at 20:35:59

I have a buddy that runs a repair shop and the only thing he has seen is they over heat and trash the head. other than that they will run forever if you take care of it.

I almost fell outta my chair when I read this!.... I have a '06 S40 and I constantly complain about how it may run too cool!.... takes me at least 8 miles after a good warm-up period to warm up. On a cool day after a long ride, I can touch the Head with my hand and keep it there for a handful of seconds without cold hands! I broke mine in with regular dino oil and now have switched to Synthetic Amsoil 20-50, that may be a factor and have heard from other riders that any Synthetic oil may make it run cooler ( I know mine sounds and runs smoother, reduced the normal noise in Head to almost nothing with Amsoil ) but I cant say for sure. But to say this is a POS bike from your local dealer is nonsense. IMO, its an old-fashioned true bikers bike. I relate the V-Twins and all of its luxuries  as a car on 2 wheels, and an expensive one at that. I got some shocked looks just today when I was asked was it a Honda Rebel which I corrected them that it wasnt and told them I can run Interstate speeds all day long. One said " Yea, but you cant run with a group thats doing 100-120 mph. I promptly told em that I dont care to ride with idiots anyway.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 10/06/08 at 21:02:48

The only actual occasions I have ever heard that involved dropped valves or otherwise severe head damage was due to the cam chain getting too loose and the owner not checking in time to catch the problem.  It is something that is fairly easy to check and needs to be part of a regular maintenance shedule

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #20 - 10/07/08 at 01:34:30

LANCER wrote on 10/06/08 at 21:02:48:
The only actual occasions I have ever heard that involved dropped valves or otherwise severe head damage was due to the cam chain getting too loose and the owner not checking in time to catch the problem.  It is something that is fairly easy to check and needs to be part of a regular maintenance shedule

In Europe I've heard of some snapped valves, most likely due to consistent high revs in Autobahn. Head and rocker arm damage is not unheard of, most famous was when Motorrad Magazine had a camshaft and cylinder head failure on their long term test bike in late 1980s. In Germany alone over 20000 Savages were sold so plenty of bike breakers have them in bits but decent useable top end parts are hard to find, they are among the first parts to be sold. I bought our 1991 Savage in 1996 which already had the whole engine replaced from 1993 or 1994 model. The engine has about 80000kms now and needs a rebuild soon.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #21 - 10/07/08 at 06:02:10

I bought my '87 this spring with 3600 miles on it.  It now has somewhere around 11,000.  It is running great, despite my attempts to destroy it by mechanikin' with a hammer and crowbar as my tools.

I'm betting your dealer has a nice, expensive bike on his floor that he would rather sell to you.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:24:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems with S40 ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.