Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DR-650 head on LS650 ? (Read 177 times)
mikestrikes
Ex Member

DR-650 head on LS650 ?
09/30/08 at 17:46:39

I keep getting told that a DR-650 head will bolt onto a Savage motor ? I dont have ether here so I cant say yes or no !

Will it............. has anyone try'd................. or just NO !

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: DR-650 head on LS650 ?
Reply #1 - 09/30/08 at 20:38:03

Go to Ron Ayers .com and pull up the microfiche on both bikes.  For the two heads to swap they would have to have similar gaskets (holes in the head matching those in the cylinder.)  They don't.

Not to mention that the DR650 has a 100mm bore to our 94mm.

But I wouldn't bet that Lancer couldn't make it work.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 10/01/08 at 05:16:11

Paladin. wrote on 09/30/08 at 20:38:03:
Go to Ron Ayers .com and pull up the microfiche on both bikes.  For the two heads to swap they would have to have similar gaskets (holes in the head matching those in the cylinder.)  They don't.

Not to mention that the DR650 has a 100mm bore to our 94mm.

But I wouldn't bet that Lancer couldn't make it work.

LOL ... I am a tinkerer, not a magician.   Grin

IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/01/08 at 08:09:42

This is what I thought and even asked you guys what parts are from other motors and you told me NONE...........

I do know that the clutch is the same as a DR-500 but the rest is for the LS only.....

I wanted to hear it from you guys before I argued it with him...

And yes we can get the 100mm piston to work, I e-mailed a sleeve manufacture and they said they can make a sleeve and bore and install for around $250-$300 for a 100mm bore..

I'll stick with a stock sleeve bored and a fresh piston with a little more comp.....

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #4 - 10/03/08 at 01:02:07

mikestrikes wrote on 10/01/08 at 08:09:42:
And yes we can get the 100mm piston to work, I e-mailed a sleeve manufacture and they said they can make a sleeve and bore and install for around $250-$300 for a 100mm bore..

I'll stick with a stock sleeve bored and a fresh piston with a little more comp.....
Good decision.  I've overbored a few single cylinder dirt bikes, and a 3mm is pretty radical.  You'd be taking a lot of mass from the cylinder and that would limit coolng ability - wth the extra heat generated fom a bigger, higher compression cylinder and less metal to conduct it away, problems would unsue.

Also, don't go too big and powerful on the Savage unless you can find a really special clutch to fit the motor - mine still won't take the torque from my upgades even with uprated springs!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/03/08 at 03:39:44

Listen to the man's point about the clutch (he's been there, got two tee-shirts and hasn't gotten back yet) -- much work would have to be done to a LS to get it to go much past 50 hp and still connect that extra power to the ground.  

And if you did fix the clutch, what would be the next overstressed part in the power train to give up the ghost?  Shift dogs or shift forks?  Just guessing, but general durability issues under 2x extra power are quite common in severe hop up bikes.

What you need consider pursuing is the Lancer dual spark plug mod -- do that and you can get 65 hp easy with no durability issues.  My Lancer modded 650 Suzuki even gets improved gas mileage at the highest 65-70 hp rating, something that is appreciated more and more now-a-days.  Easy on the right hand and she's easy on your wallet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/03/08 at 06:20:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/03/08 at 03:39:44:
What you need consider pursuing is the Lancer dual spark plug mod -- do that and you can get 65 hp easy with no durability issues.  My Lancer modded 650 Suzuki even gets improved gas mileage at the highest 65-70 hp rating, something that is appreciated more and more now-a-days.  Easy on the right hand and she's easy on your wallet.

Please do tell............ got a link to a thread on this ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:30:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DR-650 head on LS650 ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.