Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some 2008 S-40 things I just learned. (Read 120 times)
Royal
YaBB Newbies

Ride like the Devil,
he's gaining on you.

Kansas and Texas
Some 2008 S-40 things I just learned.
09/30/08 at 12:09:16

I just completed a carburetor modification using a kit I bought from Lancer. I made note of the bolt sizes on my Mikuni BS40 carburetor and they are listed on a post in the tech. section. For anyone doing their first tear-down on their Susuki here are some things I found that you may want to make a mental note of: I was positive I missed some hidden bolt securing the fuel tank to the frame. It was really tight in the two 1/2 circle areas around the rubber pads. Be prepared to remove the battery and battery box and top cover. The bowl cover was so close to the battery box I do not believe I could have slid the carburetor back enough to come loose from the cylinder intake housing. The rubber tubing from the carb. to the airbox can be bent in fairly easily to allow its removal which will give you plenty of clearance to remove and replace the carburetor. Don't even attempt to loosen the carburetor bolts with a standard Phillips screwdriver. (some of you can't stand tools bought at Harbor Freight but they have a small impact driver with several bits that worked great and only costs a few bucks). I did a little cursing when trying to reinstall the battery box as it was jammed in tightly against the air filter box and the 4 bolts were a devil to get started. Space is tight too. When I got ready to put the fuel tank back on I put a couple of strips of masking tape on the sides of the tank in the same relative area that the rubber bumpers were located in relation to the frame member on the inside.  Watch that the small electrical box on the front right side clears the tank as you slide it in.
The bike started right up but I did have to adjust the throttle stop in a little to increase the idle speed to keep it running. I was expecting just the opposite to be the case.??? Running along in first gear seems a whole lot smoother, without the stumbling it had before. After you have had the bike apart once these things seem kind of dumb but they give you some insight in what you might expect.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Some 2008 S-40 things I just learned.
Reply #1 - 09/30/08 at 17:30:06

Ahhh ... the sweet feeling of success... congrats!!!!

Cheesy

Next step,  run a tank or two of gas thru it and then check the sparkplug color.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:26:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Some 2008 S-40 things I just learned.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.