Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork lock (Read 71 times)
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fork lock
09/28/08 at 15:35:07

I'm finally picking up my beautiful 86 Savage today!  Everything seems to be in great shape and working fine except I can't seem to get the fork lock to work.  The key slides in but the cylinder turns only about 1/8th of a turn.  The cylinder will push in at that point but not turn any further and the forks don't lock.  

Is there any trick to getting the fork lock to work?  Does it sound like the lock is even working?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fork lock
Reply #1 - 09/28/08 at 15:47:20

I think you got to rock it back and forth

but the lock is useless

WWW   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #2 - 09/28/08 at 16:27:31

Turn forks hard to the left
Push in the key
Pull the right handgrip slightly back towards you
The key should pop in. It will not go in fully to the left.

Like Verslagen says...it's useless. Someone first day out of "BikeStealers School" can defeat it. Fortunately, our bike is among the least stolen bikes out there.  Thieves want Hayabusas, Gold Wings, Harleys and  Beemers.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/28/08 at 17:39:37

I was planning on buying a more substantial lock sometime here in the next month or so, but I guess I'll be doing that sooner.  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/28/08 at 22:13:04

Invest in a sturdy, thick cable and good keyed lock. Put it through the frame. Attach the cable to something permantly attached to the ground. Don't leave the lock on the ground, or against anything solid (it can be compromised with a sledge hammer or, with the leverage, a crowbar). Disk locks work only if the thieves leave the front wheel on the bike. It also doesn't stop two or three from picking the whole thing up and tossing it in the back of a pickup.
While the Savage is amoung the least stolen bikes, with gas prices going up, and the economy going in the toilet, ameteur thieves may want to take a shot at a bike that gets good gas mileage for their own personal use. If a professional should want your bike, it's already gone. Fortunately there is no profit in Savage parts; so it's unlikely a pro would bother.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #5 - 09/29/08 at 04:53:04

I don;t know about n '86, but on my '08, :
You turn the key to the right
push in
wiggle handle bar
turn key back t left.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #6 - 09/29/08 at 14:24:53

There's just something about our bikes that doesn't appeal to thieves.  So for us, "Ride it like you stole it!" is just an expression.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:16:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork lock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.