Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Confused: too rich or too lean (Read 342 times)
calalli
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Confused: too rich or too lean
09/28/08 at 09:45:55

My bike is an 01 with 5600 miles,  aftermarket fishtail exhaust from PO, white spacer mod with two #4 washers.   As far as I know all jets are original.  

Idle mixture is set to 3 turns out, using Lancers directions - the idle never slowed as I turned it out so I stopped at three turns. I had the carb cleaned at the dealer in June soon after buying the bike. The petc*ck needs replaced, I was having stalling issues and smelled gas in the vacuum line. I am running it on PRI now, with the vacuum line closed off.

I have always had backfiring when shutting down, sharp drop in throttle and sometimes when shifting as a added throttle.  I have accepted this as signs it was too lean and planned to order a jet kit from Lancer when they are available again. the header pipe had blueing and some gold color to it.

Then Friday I took my first extended ride,  150 miles on the slab each way at 70 -80 mph.  as an aside, I need to look into a seat mod also Smiley  Yesterday morning I noticed that my exhaust had turned gold/brown, which I have read is a sign of running rich.

I am confused and not sure what to do.  Is running the bike on PRI a problem?  I have an ebay petc*ck to replace the current one, but I didn't think that would be a big deal if I waited till riding season is done.  I noticed mileage has dropped from 55-60 to 50 or so.  but when I do this, I would like to get the carb tuned correctly, but really don't know which way to go with it.
Any suggestions?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Confused: too rich or too lean
Reply #1 - 09/28/08 at 10:07:02

Exhaust chrome discolors with heat.  The more heat the more it discolors.  It starts as a light gold,  goes thru bunch of colors and ends in a gray.

Running lean make heat.....  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/28/08 at 10:49:35

Running on prime is not a problem,...  gas feeds the carb by gravity, the same as on and reserve.  The vac line simply opens the passage to the carb, it doesn't draw the gas,....(until it starts leaking, like yours, at which time it draws gas to the wrong place).  Be sure you block that line at both the carb and the petcock.
Cruising at 70 - 80 mph will reduce your mileage.  At that speed you are past the pilot circuit and into the needle/main.  Cruising at 50 to 60mph makes a big difference.
Pipe discoloration is an indication of heat, not necessarily lean, cruising 70 -80 mph will make heat.  So will running lean, or overly rich, or at high altitude, or in stop and go traffic.  
A good indicator of overall jetting is the weather...if popping/backfiring increases on humid days, or at higher elevation, that indicates rich....less popping on those days indicates lean.
To test the main jet, accelerate from 30 or 40 mph, in 4th or 5th gear at full throttle for several seconds, then reduce throttle by about 1/8,...if power increases for a second, you are lean on the main jet.  Go up one jet size and test again.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/28/08 at 17:24:28

If you lived in Hollywood you wouldnt need to ask. In Hollywood, thers no such theng as "Too Rich" or "Too lean"..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/28/08 at 18:10:16

Arh!,..arh!,...arh!,.......good one! Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Marek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longmont, CO
Reply #5 - 09/29/08 at 12:19:20

Hey all.

I'm also confused with my bike.  I have Lancer's filter, replaced the main with a 150, and have a harley exhaust installed.  I also have I think 3 of Lancer's little washers in - looked like about half of the original spacer.

If I start with the idle screw all the way in, it sounds pretty good.  As I turn it out, about 1.5 turns the engine slows down.  This seems to tell me that I'm not too lean?  (Making it more rich doesn't sound as good?)

But I backfire on deceleration.  By turning the screw about maybe 1.25 out I got rid of shutdown backfire.  And my pipe is quickly bluing.

Huh?  Confused.

Thanks for any and all help!

Marek

IP Logged
Marek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longmont, CO
Reply #6 - 09/29/08 at 12:35:32

I'm running too fat.

Hey all.

I'm also confused with my bike.  I have Lancer's filter, replaced the main with a 150, and have a harley exhaust installed.  I also have I think 3 of Lancer's little washers in - looked like about half of the original spacer.

If I start with the idle screw all the way in, it sounds pretty good.  As I turn it out, about 1.5 turns the engine slows down.  This seems to tell me that I'm not too lean?  (Making it more rich doesn't sound as good?)

But I backfire on deceleration.  By turning the screw about maybe 1.25 out I got rid of shutdown backfire.  And my pipe is quickly bluing.

Huh?  Confused.

Marek

IP Logged
Marek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longmont, CO
Reply #7 - 09/29/08 at 12:36:29

Note too that I'm at like 5500 feet...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/29/08 at 12:46:40

Marek wrote on 09/29/08 at 12:19:20:
Hey all.

Huh?  Confused.

Marek

Longmont, CO,  that's up there,  mile high zone.    I can't remember if high altitude makes it leaner or richer.   If it makes it leaner than you  may want to go with a 152.5 main.  

For the Idle mixture,  You should get a pop on deceleration every once and a while.  If you make the idle mix too rich you will affect you MPG since it has influence thru about 1/4 throttle.  

T. M.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 09/29/08 at 17:29:21

Anything that makes the air less dense will make the mix richer. Higher altitude=less dense air=richer mix. Therefore you need to lean an engine at higher altitude.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/29/08 at 17:33:29

High altitude=thinner air=less oxygen=less fuel needed for the proper fuel air mix=need smaller main jet to lean the mix...more washers on needle to lean the mix...adjust pilot air adjusting screw (turn in) to lean &/or go to smaller pilot jet to lean the mix

IP Logged
Marek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longmont, CO
Reply #11 - 09/30/08 at 07:47:55

Yeah, that's what I figured, and explains having to turn in near all the way, but why the bluing?

So even if tuned 100% "correct" (is there such a thing?), the pop pop pop (not BANG scare the poopies out of bicyclists sort of thing) of about maybe 2 hertz on decel may occur?

Thanks all!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 09/30/08 at 18:54:32

The chrome exhaust pipe neither knows nor cares whether the mixture is rich or lean. All it knows is whether it gets hot. If it gets hot enough, it will start to discolor. The hotter it gets, the more it will discolor. The original Suzuki pipe is a double-wall pipe. Think of it as a pipe within a pipe. The inner (non-chromed) one carries the exhaust, and gets hot. The outer one is "insulated" by the space between them and cooled by the airflow, so it isn't supposed to discolor.

A incorrect air/fuel mixture burns more slowly in the cylinder. A rich mixture (too much fuel) doesn't burn all its fuel because there isn't enough air to complete the combustion. The extra fuel evaporates due to the heat, but doesn't burn. Its evaporation absorbs some heat, so the combustion temperature is lower.  Byproducts include unburned fuel, possible black smoke, sooty exhaust pipe, and sooty spark plug. A lean mixture (not enough fuel) doesn't burn all its air. There is no excess fuel to absorb heat. The slower burn causes the exhaust gas to be hotter (because the burn isn't as complete) when the exhaust valve opens. This hotter gas causes exhaust valve temperatures to rise, and makes for a hotter exhaust manifold (or pipe, on the Savage).

It is quite possible, even usual, for a carbureted engine to be very lean at idle and low speed, because that's where the EPA tests. That same engine may be "spot on" or even go rich at high power settings. So as odd as it sounds, it is possible for your bike to be both "too lean" and "too rich" depending on where in the throttle range it is running.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 10/01/08 at 03:25:07

Keep in mind that the pilot air adjusting screw & pilot jet primarily controls the low range (idle - 1/4 throttle), but when cruising down the road the needle is pretty much in control and if the needle (midrange= 1/4-3/4 throttle) is running lean then you will have a hotter running engine in that range.

IP Logged
Marek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longmont, CO
Reply #14 - 10/01/08 at 07:13:11

Awesome explanation Charon.  I've been wondering why lean = hotter engine.

I think I know enough now to attack.  Thanks guys!

M

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:43:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Confused: too rich or too lean

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.