Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Dual Fire Ignition?
09/28/08 at 08:53:51

I just read that the L650/S40 has a dual fire ignition system. I thought you had to have 2 plugs for a dual fire ignition. Can anyone clarify for me. Thanks

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dual Fire Ignition?
Reply #1 - 09/28/08 at 09:17:51

It maybe a misnomer, the savage fires every revolution because the ignition keys off of the crank rather than the cam.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/28/08 at 10:55:47

I believe it's called a "wasted spark" ignition,...only every other spark is actually is used for combustion.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - 09/29/08 at 23:25:46

The four strokes in a cycle; intake, compression, power and exhaust require 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation (2 revolutions) to complete. The single cylinder having no other cylinders to share ignition with fires the spark plug at the top of the compression stroke and then again after a full revolution at the top of the exhaust stroke where there is no combustion and the spark is wasted in this sequence but it fires easily as their is no compression to fire against. Twin cylinders sharing a single two tower ignition coil also fire a wasted spark as both plugs fire simultaneously, again one on it's compression stroke and the other on it's exhaust stroke.  Single cylinder engines are more difficult to start, the engine crankshaft must go through 2 complete revolutions for a firing event to occur and are often designed with a timed decompression system where a lever opens an exhaust valve while the starter motor is running, relieving compression against the starter motor until ingnition is sequenced.  

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 09/30/08 at 02:17:26

A single fire ignition only fires a spark during combustion. A dual-fire ignition fires a spark during combustion and a waste spark during exhaust.

Dual fire is simple and cheap whereas single fire costs more but gives smoother operation.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:23:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dual Fire Ignition?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.