Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front end accident, not sure how much damage... (Read 150 times)
UCFS40RIDER
YaBB Newbies

RIDIN MY S40 TO
CLASS AND BACK!

ORLANDO, FL
Front end accident, not sure how much damage...
09/27/08 at 23:41:24

Well, I let a buddy try to learn on my 2007 s40... he popped the clutch and slammed into a curb...

the front wheel popped up and the gear shifter slammed into the curb which bent the connecting rod to the gearbox... I took the rod out and tried to bend it back straight, first gear still feels spongy and when I slam down into first, the rod bends a little each time... still waiting on the replacement...

the bike was laid down on the right side and broke off the rear turn signal... $53!!! For a piece of chrome plated plastic!

OK!, here's the important part... since the accident, my front end starts to wobble when I reach about 50 mph.  it's perfectly straight at lower speeds.  is there any way I can align the front wheel?

Also, there is a clicking in the transmission that increases rate with the engine speed.  it's not a loud clank, just a little click that makes be very worried... I'm thinking it might be something to do with the engine oil getting thrown all outa wack from laying the bike down.

Any suggestions on what it might be with the transmission or with the front wheel wobbling would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front end accident, not sure how much damage..
Reply #1 - 09/28/08 at 04:57:44

Id get the front end off the ground & spin it. Once you know the wheel is straight & centered between the fork tubes, tie a piece of NON stretchy cord, (Parachute cord is good, it will stretch, but not w/o trying) so that the long end is on the center of the rubber, high & in front of the forks. If you have to tie & then Duct tape it so it stays exactly on center, thats cool.look at the distance from the center of the front tire to the end of each handlebar grip. Measure center of handlebar to end of each grip. Now you can tell if the front end is tweaked. If so, loosen lower forktube clamp & adjust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/28/08 at 08:17:53

You can get a whole set of four on fleabay for less than that.

describe your tick better.  It follows your engine speed?  and not the bikes speed?  which side do you hear it from?  Get a long plastic handled screwdriver and place the tip against the engine and the plastic handle against your ear (some say the bone by your ear is best)

WWW   IP Logged
UCFS40RIDER
YaBB Newbies

RIDIN MY S40 TO
CLASS AND BACK!

ORLANDO, FL
Reply #3 - 09/28/08 at 13:57:33

the tick is kinda of like a tapping against the wall on the inside of the transmission... I can hear it the most on the right side of the bike... what's weird is that the ticking only starts after the bike is warmed up really well... after about 5 minutes of riding... I thought at first that it was something dragging the ground... but the second I pull in the clutch and let off the throttle the ticking stops, even though I'm still moving... when I rev the engine the ticking increases rate linearly with the engine speed (rpms) even when I'm stopped... I'm gonna change the oil, because I had a friend tell me that dropping a bike can put air pockets in the oil pan that can cause a moving part inside to tap... I'm not sure how right this is, but no harm in changing the oil...

Would the front end alignment happen to be in a repair manual somewhere? Because it sounds kinda tricky.

Thanks again

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/28/08 at 15:43:43

How many miles?

If between 10 and 30k it can be the cam chain.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

WWW   IP Logged
UCFS40RIDER
YaBB Newbies

RIDIN MY S40 TO
CLASS AND BACK!

ORLANDO, FL
Reply #5 - 09/28/08 at 16:41:19

yeah, it only has 4800 miles on it, and only 2 years old

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/28/08 at 17:19:18

Maybe that engine , in the High G moment, hickupped just right & threw some slack into the cam chain, by the impact slinging the guides around & the tensioner snapped as far out as it could? Far fetched, I know, but, unless ya look, how ya gonna find it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/28/08 at 19:00:27

ok, 4800, I think we can put the cam chain problem low on the list.

1st Change your oil (hey can't hurt) and check other common sources of noise, headlamp and speedo.  one at a time while you can hear the ticking, place your hand on the lense then the top of the speedo to see if the noise goes away.  With a helmet on, these noises can play tricks on you.

2nd I would adjust your valves (good source of ticking)

3rd Cam chain inspection, look the clutch over while you're there.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/30/08 at 18:18:18

Agree with Verslagen on valve adjustment.   A ticking after warming might be an exhaust valve being just above the 0.005 inch spec.   Mine was doing it and was 0.006....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
UCFS40RIDER
YaBB Newbies

RIDIN MY S40 TO
CLASS AND BACK!

ORLANDO, FL
Reply #9 - 10/01/08 at 07:29:52

so, I've recently come to find out that the ticking gets worse after I fill up the gas tank... it got to where there were no problems when I had less than a gallon... but the second I topped it off the ticking got worse than ever, and when I shut off the engine the ticking continues in the header... unlike the other normal ticks in the exhaust... this ticking is uniform and is louder...

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 10/01/08 at 09:26:26

Take the header off and have a peak inside the head with a bright flash light,see how the exaust valve looks,you can see quite a bit of it,worth a look see .

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:23:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front end accident, not sure how much damage...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.