Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear fender work done (Read 191 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
rear fender work done
09/25/08 at 13:32:54

Just got my rear fender back from the body shop. I had them close up all the holes on the side and where the rear tail light mounts. I'm putting on a cat eye tail light with LED turns on the side of the tail light.  

I'm also working on making a low profile two-up seat.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: rear fender work done
Reply #1 - 09/25/08 at 16:30:01

Nice...Show us the finished product.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #2 - 09/25/08 at 16:46:06

Looks sleek. How & where will you mount the cat eye tail light?

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 09/25/08 at 20:04:10

I'll mount it just underneath and inside of the back lip of the fender.  I finished making a homecrafted bracket for the cat eye tail light and new LED rear turn signals.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 09/28/08 at 17:12:48

The rear fender, tail light, turn signal and seat mod is starting to shape up.

I haven't mounted the tail light yet.  You can see the bracket under the fender where I'll mount the cat eye tail light. From the angle it looks like the bracket might interfere with the tire at full suspension compression.  But there's actually plenty of clearance.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/28/08 at 22:27:39

Very slim & trim,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 09/29/08 at 20:45:04

The seat mod was the easiest part.  I took it apart and cut out the hump that was over the rectifier.  If you've ever seen a plastic seat pan, you'll know that they are not smooth and even, but rather have lots of high and low spots in the mold.  I sprayed the top of the seat pan with expanding foam.  I gave it a night to expand then came back with a hack saw blade and trimmed it flat across the length of the pan.   This gave me a nice, solid, flat seat pan. Then I cut out a piece of aluminum flashing the same size at the top of the seat pan and riveted it on.  I next covered the seat with carpet padding, then 1/4" foam and finally a sheet of plastic before putting the stock seat cover back on.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 09/29/08 at 22:02:46

It's coming along.  I added the forward controls today.  Thanks Ed.  Great instruction and the CD with pics was a nice touch.  I've still got to put the connecting rod on the forward controls.

The shocks are set to max preload which I think is 4 because I love a stiffer ride.  I added 5/8" spacers between the top fender mount and frame which lowers the back end of the rear fender a tad bit without sacrificing suspension clearance and gives it a better look IMO.  

I put a rock guard underneath the tail light.  Otherwise, one good rock would take it out.  I'm gonna paint the rock guard black so that it blends in.  In the pic it looks like it sticks out further than the tail light but it is even with the bottom of the tail light but sits about 1/8" below it.  

« Last Edit: 09/30/08 at 04:18:11 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #8 - 09/30/08 at 12:57:09

Man that bike looks super sleak, I really like what you have done.  Wink

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 09/30/08 at 13:47:09

Thanks.  I lowered the rear fender a tad and contoured the stock seat to match the downward slope of the tank.  It all adds up to making the bike look like the rear has been lowered but it hasn't.  Also, I sit more in the bike than on it now.  When I brake, it feels like the bike and I are slowing down together where before it felt like I was gonna flip over the bars if I braked really hard.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear fender work done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.