Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Interesting Side Effects (Read 507 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Interesting Side Effects
09/24/08 at 14:49:32

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I received and installed Lancer's performance air filter, for sale through the savage store online.  (Support the Cause!  Buy from you friends!)  I was expecting the normal changes, like more power, which I definitely got, but had a couple of surprises as well. I keep pretty good tabs on my gas mileage, and WAS running between 44 and 47 mpg.  With the new air filter, 50 to 53 mpg.  Thats a pretty big jump!  Before the air filter, 65mph @ 4500 rpms, 70mph @ 4700 rmps (more or less).  After the filter, 65mph @ 4300, and 70 @ 4500.  Got to say, I'm happy with the new filter! Cheesy

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Interesting Side Effects
Reply #1 - 09/24/08 at 14:52:55

The only way to change MPH at a given RPM is to alter gearing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/24/08 at 15:02:39

Don't know what to tell you.  I cruise right at 65 mph to and from work, for a grand total of just under 50 miles, every day.  I'm always right at 4500 rpms.  It's kinda nice becuase I don't have to look all the way down at my speedo, just look  at the tach.  But now, 65 mph is at 4300.  Maybe 4350.  Definitely under 4500.

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/24/08 at 15:19:16

Innybody else got anything? I dont get it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #4 - 09/24/08 at 15:39:54

That still doesn't explain the changed tach reading. I can think of only two things to account for that, one is a slipping clutch, and the other is being a different gear.

If you changed you oil to a thicker oil at the same time as you changed the air intake, that could account for it. If the clutch was slipping a little before, you would have had higher RPMS for the same speed.
I hear that some of the modern "energy saving" oils can do this also.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/24/08 at 17:35:09

What kind of tach are we talking about?
one them $20 'I hope it lasts a year' ones?
Your talking about a gizmo that probably has more error in it then the DMV.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 09/24/08 at 18:44:48

Eanon,  are you using the factory speedo????

I been trying to think of things that might change the RPM to MPH numbers.   Many simple ones came to mind, like tire air pressure, but that gets ruled out because the factory speedo  takes the reading at the tranny and not the tire.  Air temp that might affect tire air pressure is then also ruled out.  BUT.... if you are not using the factory gauge, tire press could explain it.  

Now,  if you are using the factory speedo, there is still a explaination.  
Our bike has to use an electronic tach. The Analog (dial) tachs that tie into the ign coil are sensitive to resistance.  That means a bad connection can change the reading.  Corrosion or a loose wire can raise the reading.   Bumping it to make a better connection could also lower it.   On the small digital tachs, many use inductive pick-up (wrap wire around sparkplug wire).  If that wire was bumped and the coils were tighter or looser, that can affect the reading , but only a tiny bit...      Replacing the filter, did you remove the seat and tank?   Or have you done that lately???  If a wire got bumped........   Huh

Just a thought.....
Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/24/08 at 19:22:16

you tach has to be off.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #8 - 09/24/08 at 21:02:12

verslagen1 wrote on 09/24/08 at 17:35:09:
Your talking about a gizmo that probably has more error in it then the DMV.

Nice crack at the DMV...don't forget the legal records at the police station/courthouse..."I didn't know I had a warrant...".

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/25/08 at 14:19:22

I think you might win the prize, T Mack.  I am running the Baron's Mini tied into the ign coil.  I removed the seat and the carb, plus, I pulled the old air box and had to semi re-route some of the wires to "clean things up".  Maybe I pulled something loose.....   Will have to check.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 09/25/08 at 18:46:10

eanon wrote on 09/25/08 at 14:19:22:
I think you might win the prize, T Mack.  I am running the Baron's Mini tied into the ign coil.  I removed the seat and the carb, plus, I pulled the old air box and had to semi re-route some of the wires to "clean things up".  Maybe I pulled something loose.....   Will have to check.

OR..... you now have a better connection......  Wink

I had a bad connection on my last tach and got higher readings.  Found out it was from the way I routed the wire and removing the tank too many times.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/25/08 at 18:55:56

Wow...increased power, increased milage, and a stealth gear change as well .......that is an amazing air filter.
Now, just one question.....how did I do that ?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/26/08 at 07:14:40

All jet-kit sellers are aliens Smiley

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/26/08 at 14:19:16

Well, everything is nice and tight and where it should be.  Obviously, something changed, but I don't know what.   Maybe T Mack is right, and now I have a better connection and more accurate readings.  I like to think it's my "Magic" new air filter!

hmmmm.......   resale point?  Re-jetted carb, custom seat, magic air filter...... Cool

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #14 - 09/26/08 at 15:37:58

What is the gear ratio for the top gear on the 4 speed and 5 speed transmission?  I've searched and I can't find it. Also, has anyone calculated what the rpms should be for a Savage at various speeds and gears assuming stock tires and proper tire inflation?

I'm curious how accurate my tach is. It is very repeatable but I am not sure if it is accurate for a 5-speed.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:22:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Interesting Side Effects

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.