Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Missing and backfiring (Read 194 times)
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Missing and backfiring
09/24/08 at 11:57:02

I have an 87 Savage that until 2 days ago ran like a top. It starts fine, idle is good. When I take off it does fine until about 10mph and then it misses, coughs, backfires until I back off the throttle a little. This continues every 10mph until I reach a top speed of 40mph. I have changed the gas, plug, fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel bowl as well as the jets and needle valve. When I first started it up it ran fine for about 20 minutes and then started again. Could it be electical, like the ignitor or the coil? Also adjusted valves and compression is good. HELP! Sad

When you receive the news that my guns have been confiscated,you will know that I am dead.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Missing and backfiring
Reply #1 - 09/24/08 at 12:57:03

Man, unhook the speedo! Its just lazy. If it doesnt know how fast it being forced to run, maybe it wont want to lay down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #2 - 09/24/08 at 15:48:22

What do you mean by it happens every 10 mph? Is is happening when you change gears and roll off the throttle at 20, 30 and 40 mph? Or is the sputtering happening exclusive of gear changes?

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 09/24/08 at 17:01:28

As the RPMs rise it starts to miss at the same rpm in each gear. When you change to the next gear rpms drop it does fine until it reaches the same rpm and it starts to miss again. Also you cannot really open it up, you have to roll the throttle on.

When you receive the news that my guns have been confiscated,you will know that I am dead.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/24/08 at 17:34:45

Carb slide not sliding?

How's the air filter?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/24/08 at 17:37:04

Yep, clean the slide easy to do.

and change the plug.

WWW   IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 09/26/08 at 07:58:40

Thanks for the info! I cleaned the slide and she is running better than ever! Grin

IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 09/26/08 at 08:54:17

:'( Ok it ran good for about 2 miles and started again. Slide is moving,has new plug, new fuel filter, new cone filter, starts up and idles perfect. Take off slowly to  10mph, pop...pop pop stutter cough, roll off shift to second, smooth up to 20mph same thing and so on and so on. Seems to clear up for a moment after back firing. Help again Embarrassed

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/26/08 at 09:08:54

What about when it's not moving?? What happens then @ 2000 rpm (approx - per your description). Try and post. We go from there.

Also (too lazy to check your profile  Embarrassed ) - is all stock?? Jets, filter, idle mixture screw... Have you changed anything lately?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/26/08 at 09:15:41

ok, so it ran good for 2 miles, ripped thru the gears?  everything good?

Then what happened?  pushed in choke?

Anybody near you that you can swap parts with?  carb... coil... etc.

'87 with how many miles?  Have you looked at the cam chain?

How about clogged gas cap?  Does it do the same with cap off?

WWW   IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 09/26/08 at 09:44:53

Misses while setting still also, Bike is mostly stock, cone air filter, Jardine muffler,carb mix richened about a 1/2 turn. All of this had been done before it started acting up. Slide is moving when bike misses. Cap on or off does the same thing. No black smoke so I don't think its loading up. And every once in a while after it backfires it clears up for a minute or two. Bike has 12,555 miles, choke was in(it misses when choke is on also) coil and ignitor are original equipment(looks like) Have not checked cam chain yet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/26/08 at 10:03:07

If I remember correctly, this bike is relatively new2u.

I recommend to all new2u bike owners with over 10k to do the cam chain check.  It's the best way to know the condition of the bike.  And when to take care of this important maitenance item.  Although I don't think this is your issue, it's a big question mark that you don't yet have an answer for.  Might as well do it so we know this bomb isn't ticking.   Shocked

me thinks it's your coil, check the leads, check the grounds, check the cdi.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 09/26/08 at 10:09:06

I was just reading your tech post on the cam chain. I will have to wait till Sunday. Got to take a load of freight to Dayton OH tonight. I'll get back to you Sunday after I check it all out. Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/26/08 at 10:15:04

If its missing AND backfiring, cant you just walk toward the sound of the backfire & FIND it? Sheesh,,,

IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 09/26/08 at 10:58:21

You're one of those fellas that holds the plug wire while your buddy cranks the motor over to see if it's  getting a spark, ain't ya? Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:29:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Missing and backfiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.