Luke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

State College, Pa
Exhaust Systems
09/22/08 at 12:57:38

Hey,
I'm new here, i've had a savage for around 5 or 6 years but moved up shortly to a yamaha vstar and now my dad rides the savage.  i have a jardine slip-on exhaust but that just isn't doing it for me anymore. Are there any full exhaust systems for this bike (not slip ones) that are one piece?
I was thinking about making a simple straight set that would all be one piece or one that would have a large radius bend where the stock muffler is, but wanted to see if there was anything out there instead.
thanks, Luke

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Exhaust Systems
Reply #1 - 09/22/08 at 17:43:47

there is a raask drag pipe that will meet your needs, but it is quite pricey.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Luke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

State College, Pa
Reply #2 - 09/22/08 at 18:08:50

is that the only one that is one piece?  how much does that go for?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 09/22/08 at 18:17:07

There is a thread on this now...looks like $650 for a Raask. Pricey...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1222091988/4#4

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Luke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

State College, Pa
Reply #4 - 09/22/08 at 19:27:51

thanks, that is pretty expensive for a bike with only 1 exhaust pipe, even if your in europe.  i guess i will be making my own. is there something special about the drag raask exhaust compared to just making an exhaust that steps up to 2"OD right after the exhaust port with a baffle in the end of it performance wise?  it won't be double walled but could get it ceremic coated black or ceramic-chrome so it wont turn blue, or even make it out of stainless.  would be alot cheaper than 650 dollars.

IP Logged
Luke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

State College, Pa
Reply #5 - 09/30/08 at 14:28:07

here is what i'm planning on doing (sorry for the crappy photoshop job).  It will be an entire one piece system at 2" OD tubing.  Now is there anything special that raask does for performance or is placng in a baffle for backpressure all i need since the exhaust will be so much more open than stock.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #6 - 09/30/08 at 15:47:14

If it were that simple I think we'd all be making our own. One of the key factors of muffler design is creating the right tone, as well as providing appropriate back pressure.  Lots of things play against each other.

Here's a good overview that might help you get an idea of how complex the task will be.

http://blog.autospeed.com/2008/03/04/muffler-design/

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/01/08 at 03:36:40

Luke wrote on 09/30/08 at 14:28:07:
here is what i'm planning on doing (sorry for the crappy photoshop job).  It will be an entire one piece system at 2" OD tubing.  Now is there anything special that raask does for performance or is placng in a baffle for backpressure all i need since the exhaust will be so much more open than stock.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk206/wryebread/RightSide2copy.jpg

I would strongly encourage you to use 1 3/4" OD pipe for the header project; anything larger and you will loose considerably power.  I have a highly modified Savage engine and have a 1 3/4" OD header which works very well for it.  The engine is approaching 50hp at the rear wheel.  
If your engine is stock then you certainly do not want to go larger, which would cut engine power by as much as 30%.  This is not just an estimate from the top of my head; it is backed up by considerable dyno testing by a long time professional header builder.  He, in fact, recommends no larger than a 1.5" ID header of 33" length for a stock cylinder of the Savage size.

IP Logged
ChrisSavage
YaBB Newbies

Lazy Bones

Columbus, OH
Reply #8 - 10/01/08 at 10:20:36

I put a harley softail muffler on mine yesterday. My dad and I got 'em for $20 and paid another $25 to have the crossover cut off and filled in.  $45 and 3 hours later, it sounds like an angry lawnmower, but in a good way.

If you're prepared, this could be a one hour job. If unprepared, expect several hours of frustration. (I did it the hard way.  Grin) It sounds sweet, but it might not be your thing.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 10/02/08 at 01:39:52

I agree with the 1.5" i.d. but think a 39" long header would be better.
Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 10/02/08 at 07:17:55

klx650sm2002 wrote on 10/02/08 at 01:39:52:
I agree with the 1.5" i.d. but think a 39" long header would be better.
Clive W  Smiley

The 33" was meant to be a minimal starting point with up to 36" as the normal top end.  Going long does highlight low-midrange torque, but I would not have considered going as long as 39".  What would you consider to be the point of diminishing return?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 10/04/08 at 01:40:50

imho a 36" header would peak out at 6500rpm and a 39" would peak out at 6000rpm.
I would set off at 40 and cut bits off until you are happy,easier to cut off than add on.
Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:35:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Systems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.