Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage strange behavior... (Read 74 times)
museumgirl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage strange behavior...
09/22/08 at 09:45:37

I'm a new rider and my first bike is a 2003 Savage LS 650 - it's been a great bike so far (only had it two months).

First, let me say I'm not really mechanically adept...but my Savage acted really oddly this weekend.  Toward the end of a great ride (150 miles), it started to cough and sputter while I was traveling about 65 mph.  Thought I was low on gas, so switched to reserve for the last couple of miles to the gas station.  Filled up (turned out I had about a gallon remaining).  When I went to start the bike, it was totally dead (lights wouldn't even come on).  Hooked up the battery charger and it started up.  Since then, it seems to be fine.  

Any ideas why the battery might die as I'm riding?

Thanks.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Savage strange behavior...
Reply #1 - 09/22/08 at 09:52:45

Loose battery connections. Less likely but also a possibility - shorted wires (under the seat).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/22/08 at 10:13:44

Big connector under tank can do that, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 09/22/08 at 11:21:13

How old is the battery??  If you don't know, have someone check.   There should be a date of manufacture on the label.

If it was never replaced, it would be 5 years old, which is at or past the average life of a battery.  

Also check the acid level.

Could also be a loose hose on the vacuum controlled fuel petcock.   Have someone look over the hose coming out the back of the petcock and running to the right side of carb.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage strange behavior...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.