Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat replacement on '96 with a 2006? (Read 105 times)
Rock_Steady
YaBB Newbies

Get off my lawn!

Seat replacement on '96 with a 2006?
09/21/08 at 18:00:52

Hi all, Did some searching but came up dry.  Is it possible to replace the two piece seat with one of the new one-piece seats?  I've found one locally and thought it would be easier to mod to something comfortable for me.  Any experience/thoughts?  Or would I be better off looking for a HD sportster seat to mod?

Good....Bad....I'm the one with the gun.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Seat replacement on '96 with a 2006?
Reply #1 - 09/21/08 at 20:30:36

It's been said that one of the nice things about the Savage is that pretty much anything can made to fit. I'm sure the seat would be no exception. That said; I have the one piece (2008 S40), and in going through the various methods designed to make the seat more comfortable, I've found myself wishing for the 2 piece seat.The usual mods invlove raising the front of the seat, thus effecting the rear placement and attachment. Currently I've remolded the seat pan, and have raised it a good two inches, effecting a better "spoon" shape. Better, but I am going with EdL's forward controls to complete the comfort mod. There is only so far you can go with the seat. If more is needed on the seat, then I'll be looking into a sprung solo; and again I'll be wishing I had the two piece seat, as I still want a pillion for my wife. Food for thought. YMMV. Best of luck on your mods.
Smiley

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 09/22/08 at 04:55:54

Ha ha.  I'm doing the same thing.  I've got the '06 1 piece seat and have been thinking about getting the two piece seat.

IP Logged
Rock_Steady
YaBB Newbies

Get off my lawn!

Reply #3 - 09/22/08 at 05:08:55

Well for me, the seat comfort is partly due to the fact that I need to be further back, and I often find myself sitting right in the middle of the pillion/seat area.  I thought that getting a one-piece and reworking the foam might help.

Good....Bad....I'm the one with the gun.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 09/22/08 at 06:06:19

It probably wouldn't help much.  The seat pan is curved to the shape of the frame.  I think you'll be sitting on the hump of a single piece seat.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 09/22/08 at 08:15:01

Answer is yes.  I have a 06 seat on my 01.     It is much harder to go the other way, 2 piece on a one piece bike.  

Front hook and side bolt line up perfect.  The back mount on the S40 seat  normally would bolt to the fender behind the seat.  The metal tab clears the two-piece seat fender loop with no problems and the loop fits under the one piece seaat with no problmes either.  The rear pads are in the same spot so the seat has all the same supports.  I opt'd to put a rubber stick on pad/foot on the metal tab because I didn't want to drill a hole thru fender.   Works great.

NOTE: beacause of the one piece design, the S40 seat lets you sit back a tiny tiny bit more.  It is only notice-able if you switch back.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 09/22/08 at 11:24:30

T Mack,
you lost me on not wanting to drill thru the fender.
so the front lines up and the 2 "side bolts for driver seat" line up but what do you do to fit a one piece at the back or passenger area ?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 09/22/08 at 11:45:34

franch wrote on 09/22/08 at 11:24:30:
T Mack,
you lost me on not wanting to drill thru the fender.
so the front lines up and the 2 "side bolts for driver seat" line up but what do you do to fit a one piece at the back or passenger area ?

The one piece seat has a chrome metal tab sticking out the back.  On a S40 there is a bolt hole there to attach it (just in front of the brake light).  But the 2 piece mounts differently.  There is no hole at the same spot on the 2 piece bikes because, on the 2 piece seats, the rear seat hooks on a loop near the sissy bar, and bolts down in between the rear and front seat.    

How did I fit it???  Aaaaaaa ...... the 1 piece and the combined two piece seats are same lenght.   Only issue is when removing the one piece to do work, I have to manipulate it around the sissy bar pad.  I think that would be the same on a S40 with the optional sissy bar.

Do you need the bolt in the back of the 1 piece.... well depends.  My 13 year old son is big enough that the rubber bumpers under the seat make it solid.   He also has been dirt-biking for 5 years (or is it 6   Undecided ).   He is one of the best passengers I ever had.     But.... if you have someone that squirms... you may want to bolt it on.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/22/08 at 21:51:17

T Mack 1 is right about the one piece seat and the sissy bar. I just swapped rails with ebmiller2 and added the sissy bar he included in the swap. (Thanks again Ed, looks sweet! Pics soon) The one piece seat is a bear to manuever around the sissybar. Again, wishing I had a two piece.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:40:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat replacement on '96 with a 2006?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.