Send Topic Print
Cam Chain tensioner (Read 294 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cam Chain tensioner
Reply #15 - 09/24/08 at 06:07:48

At TDC compression all 4 valves are closed. At TDC Exhaust, the cam is surely still holding some bind on the valves. Tho, it is time to close them & get the intake going. I dont know the cam timing, so maybe theres some Overlap here. Some guys know this engine inside & out.

Heres what I do now. I kleave the plug in, saves a step. Slow rotation & it wont roll off TDC. I work the valves at TDC & feel for slack. When both sides feel the same, I figure Im there. Hasnt done me wrong yet. If you cant make the exhaust side move any, its gotta go around again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Seattle_Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/24/08 at 07:12:48

Thanks Justin. I think I will take this into Suzuki dealer for them to find out what the issue and what the cost. Base on that, I will know what the issue is.

IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #17 - 09/09/11 at 19:46:23

Hi SS,

Did you ever solve this problem?  I just bought an 03 Savage, my first bike, and it's tapping as well.  Sometimes I don't pay attention, and other times it drives me nuts!

The previous owner said he got his checked out by a mechanic and they said it is okay, but he *was* trying to sell me the bike at the time.

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 09/09/11 at 20:23:56

Unless you want to give the dealer $350 - $600 of your hard earned money to have him put in a lot of unnecessary parts, I'd suggest you research a Verslavy extender (find that in the Marketplace) and work on it yourself.    

Dealers don't understand these bikes AT ALL, and they don't have access to our custom parts (like the Verslavy) but you do.

Your source for how to do a cam chain tensioner install guide is here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:21:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.