Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LS650 comon problems ? (Read 297 times)
mikestrikes
Ex Member

LS650 comon problems ?
09/21/08 at 09:36:40

For someone thats never been around one what are the common probs this motor have ?

I see one is the cam chain tensioner, when I rebuild the motor I will put in a new chain but what can be done about the tensioner ?

I see the clutch pack is this same as the DR500 or at least the same part number on Denis Kerk...

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: LS650 comon problems ?
Reply #1 - 09/21/08 at 09:59:00

Talk to verslagen about one of these tensioners.This one is called the verslavy,I have one in my '86.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 09/21/08 at 10:00:47

for the tensioner, do a search for verslavy. it was a mod done to lengthen the tensioner, and extend chain use. the biggest issue is the white spacer, do a search and you will find alot of threads about it. both are in the tech section as well.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #3 - 09/21/08 at 10:01:29

hahaha we posted at the same time.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/21/08 at 10:02:54

The worst thing that can happen to your motor is for the plunger to fall out of the housing allowing the chain to flop about and eventually let your valves go out of time with the piston.

I put a slot in the housing and pin the plunger to it so it can't fall out.

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/21/08 at 10:03:05

Great minds think alike. Grin Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/21/08 at 10:14:59

Yeah I just ran across that as I'm reading alot of the back threads, very cool job man !

Whats the best way to bump the comp up on this motor ? Milled head and find a shorter cam chain ?

I like the idea of the stock pistom being completely flat top but I'd realy like to bump up the comp some along with a slightly bigger dia piston.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 09/21/08 at 17:38:01

Milling the head to increase compression also will shorten the distance between the overhead cam and crank which lengthens the cam chain. Instead of shaving the head which has some flat spots you will get a better bump by shaving the jug. There has been talk about boring out the jug to fit a oversized DR650 piston but I don't know if anybody has tried it yet. Porting out the exhaust port is a quick way to get better flow thru the engine. In the exhaust port there is a cast lip that acts like a restrictor  for the exhaust gasses. I was able to remove most of it with a dremel and a burr without removing the head. Just packed a lot of paper towels in the port and blew it out with air when I was done. Rejetting and a better air filter and muffler will give the engine a boost over stock and there are aftermarket carbs advalible on this site. You can also advance the timing about 2-3 degrees by moving the ignition sensor but you need to pull the left side cover. I'm sure that there are other mods but these are the ones most discussed.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/21/08 at 17:49:46

Yeah I dont want to do much at all to the intake side other than correct lean jetting and a better filter, I will want to smooth out the exhaust ports and raise the compression "to a point" but not so much as to worry about over heating and needing 90+ gas.

I may end up leaving the low comp and just get a bigger piston, it has a 94mm piston now so let me find out what the DR650 has.
I'll put on a diff exhaust but want it a dull thump thump sound but thats after I see what needs to be done to trike it out..

I mainly need to convert it to chain drive and a good rebuild.... IF I can ever get it, it will cost like $300 round trip for my buddy to bring it !

IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/21/08 at 18:14:31

No DR 650 piston wont work..... 100mm
LS 650 has 94mm so it would need over bored by 6mm and thats way to much for a stock sleeve.

We need to find a piston of 1.5mm or 2mm over , I dont know how thick the LS 650 sleeve is so I cant say whats max...

But the cool thing about a single thumper is most people can afford a custom made piston as you only need one.

When I got the pistons for my ZRX 1100 from Wiseco that was 2mm over it was close to $500..

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #10 - 09/24/08 at 05:49:22

mikestrikes wrote on 09/21/08 at 17:49:46:
Yeah I dont want to do much at all to the intake side other than correct lean jetting and a better filter, I will want to smooth out the exhaust ports and raise the compression "to a point" but not so much as to worry about over heating and needing 90+ gas.

I may end up leaving the low comp and just get a bigger piston, it has a 94mm piston now so let me find out what the DR650 has.
I'll put on a diff exhaust but want it a dull thump thump sound
The trouble with the Savage is that it was built down to 30hp.

You can get a leeetle bit more power here and there, but to get significant gains you need to change just about everything – or somewhere along the line, something will be restricting the other mods you do.

-  The standard exhaust header has a tiny diameter for a 650 cylinder, so that needs to be changed.

-      Compression is very low.  To raise it a lot you need a custom high-compression domed piston.  More economically and practically, have 1mm/.040” shaved off the top of the barrel.  That, along with the latest spec Suzuki dealer head gasket (a little thinner than original) will take compression from 8.5:1 to about 9.2:1.  That amount of extra slack in the cam chain is manageable.  Better still, re-dowel your cam gear but only if you have the right facilities(I’ve done it, photos are on here somewhere).

-      Porting helps a lot.  The inlet side is pretty good standard, just clean up the edges, while the exhaust port is awful – deliberate restriction designed by Suzuki.  The valve seats are stepped on the underside, so blend those in too.

-      The cam is part of the factory power restriction, but Lancer’s cams are superb and bring loads of midrange.

-      The carb is designed for economy and emissions. A VM carb (again from Lancer) will work wonders.

-      Air filter – original is poor, slot-in K%N doesn’t have much area because of the airbox design.  Get a free flow cone filter (again, Lancer!).

All of the above should give you more like 50hp and a new project – upgrading the clutch!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/24/08 at 08:39:47

Thanks thats the kind of mod info I was needing to hear from people who know this motor....

See I was try'n to think of ways to Trike it out with a lite ATV axle so not to pull it down, but if I could nudge out some grunt from it "without sacrificing reliability" I have a rear Trike rear axle with a differential and all but its about 175 lbs vs the complete ATV axle at around 50-75 lbs.

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 09/24/08 at 08:41:15

A guy I talked to here said he has taken it up to a 780cc.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/24/08 at 08:43:29

Tincanman wrote on 09/24/08 at 08:41:15:
A guy I talked to here said he has taken it up to a 780cc.  

Details PLEASE ! Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:33:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650 comon problems ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.