Send Topic Print
New bike (Read 150 times)
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New bike
09/21/08 at 08:33:53

Guys, I finally bought a savage. It is a clean bike from 1986. It has 75000 km.
At first I was worried about the high mileage but after seeing the bike and  hearing it run,  I wasn't worried anymore and made the deal.
Up to now I'v ridden it 300 kms and I just like it. It pulls real strong and no noise from cam chain, just a faint valve clatter. No oil leak. I like the way the bike feels(lightweight, leans easily in curves...).

I do not know about the bike history as the owner(female) only had it for 3 years and didn't put a lot of mileage on. She quit motorcycling!

Twice the motor died because of a lack of gas. Used the reserve to drive home. I`m not used to such a small gas tank! I made around 45 miles a US gal.

I noticed that the idle mixture screw had been taken care of. It`s 3 1/4 turns out. I`ll have to have a look at the main jet and the white spacer. I`ve been reading a lot about rejetting and I`m confused as people do not state the year of their bike when they talk about jets. I understand that 86-88 were jetted differently as opposed to 1995-2008.
So my question is: What carb mods would you do on a 1986 bike with standard exhaust and air filter?

I did change the oil for 20w50 with new filter.
Now I'll have to have a look at the air filter and the plug.

Here is the url to my savage:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2134682170034053310yYWoEW

Just love the bike!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New bike
Reply #1 - 09/21/08 at 09:11:51

SavageBlues wrote on 09/21/08 at 08:33:53:
I noticed that the idle mixture screw had been taken care of. It`s 3 1/4 turns out. I`ll have to have a look at the main jet and the white spacer. I`ve been reading a lot about rejetting and I`m confused as people do not state the year of their bike when they talk about jets. I understand that 86-88 were jetted differently as opposed to 1995-2008.
So my question is: What carb mods would you do on a 1986 bike with standard exhaust and air filter?

3 1/4 turns out is on the verge of falling out.  there's a spring/O-ring in there to provide tension on the screw so that holds a setting.  One guy said he had the screw set at 4, 5 or 6 turns out (don't remember which) and the screw backed out and fell on the road.  It's generally recommended to go up a size if you're 3 turns out.  I'd read thru the tect section on carb turning, lancers straight and simple carb tune is required reading if you want it done right.  And readjust it to see if it really should be 3 1/4 or not.
I'd go for a louder exhaust, not wake the dead loud, but piss the cager on the cell phone next to you loud.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 09/21/08 at 09:33:46

Welcome SB, and nice ride. We have to keep the old ones running, kind of like preserving the beginning of the breed.

FSO
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #3 - 09/21/08 at 10:05:11

looks like a comfy seat as well.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 09/21/08 at 10:32:10

Nice looking bike!  Smiley

I do wonder what kind of seat is on it Wink

It does look very comfortable!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #5 - 09/21/08 at 21:14:21

I'd go for a louder exhaust, not wake the dead loud, but piss the cager on the cell phone next to you loud

Ah hell, be a devil and go for wake the freaking dead!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Live a little, and congrats on the new bike.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/25/08 at 09:43:12

photojoe,
you are right, the old bikes should be kept on the road! I'm into old bikes from the 60's and 70's so an early savage (1986)  was the way to go for me. My savage is a very early one with frame number 100245 and motor number 100364.
FreeSpirit,Rigidchop, The seat is very comfortable and is a rebuilt OEM seat.
SavageBlues.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.