Send Topic Print
Cylinder Gasket? (Read 118 times)
pradeepa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cylinder Gasket?
09/19/08 at 13:48:58

I am pretty sure my cylinder gasket is blown, but I am not quite sure what would cause this.  I can replace it with the aid of the clymer manual, but I am not sure what could have caused this.  It is a 2001 Savage with 10k, I have owned it for 2 years.  Is it just a wear and tear issue or is it a technical thing?  Is there anything I need to look out for when changing the gasket?  Attached is a picture... any feedback would help.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cylinder Gasket?
Reply #1 - 09/19/08 at 14:23:18

You need to put your picture on photobucket or someplace like that and put a link so we can go have a look at it.   The "attach a photo" feature of this list got filled up like a year ago and hasn't worked since.

Sight unseen, unless you have a strong whistling sound or hot exhaust blatting out of the gasket area,  I bet you just have a seal leak and some oil that looks "gasket-like" that isn't coming from the gasket.

Look immediately above the acorn nuts on your exhaust pipe to head junction and you will see the offending seal.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pradeepa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/19/08 at 15:14:15

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp22/pganhewa/IMG_2058.jpg
It is actually spurting oil from the area where the gasket looks blown.  Let me know what you think, and what may have caused it.  thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/19/08 at 22:05:08

What a bummer. Yea, it's poking out.. any chance it got seriously overfilled with oil?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/19/08 at 23:21:14

Never seen a base gasket at the bottom of the barrel blown before.  Got me as to what did that sort of thing, I can't even make a guess.

Looks like you got a motor removed total head-barrel tear down coming at you just to get to the area affected.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/19/08 at 23:35:17

clogged breather?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/20/08 at 04:02:57

I can't see that much pressure inside the cases -- it would blow one of the many lesser supported case gaskets before it took out the cylinder base gasket.

How about an overtorque of the main engine studs to the point a softened base gasket squished out of place?

What would soften a rubberized paper gasket to that degree though?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pradeepa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/20/08 at 06:54:12

the only thing is I haven't done any work to the bike besides changing the battery, plug, and seat.  So I don't know about overtorquing, are there any precautions when taking apart the whole assembly?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 11/27/08 at 20:29:59

I'm just curious.  I've not had the jug off of mine (see signature), but could a leak in this location be caused by the cylinder head nuts not being torqued properly?

They are supposed to be torqued every 3500 miles.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/27/08 at 21:56:58

I have over 19,000 miles on mine. The head has never been retorqued.No problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/27/08 at 22:28:35

Digger wrote on 11/27/08 at 20:29:59:
I'm just curious.  I've not had the jug off of mine (see signature), but could a leak in this location be caused by the cylinder head nuts not being torqued properly?

They are supposed to be torqued every 3500 miles.

Good point Digger, after he gets the head over off it will be interesting to see if they are all still tight.
A short time ago I took my head off just for the heck of it,I had no leaks and no problems,I had time to kill ,so I thought I would take a peak at the innards, I was suprised to find two or three nuts not as tight as I would like,the the head bolts were very tight,but two on the head cover ,and one of the engine mounting bolts was not very tight.
so vibration does play a part.In the future I will make it a point to do a walk about with a wrench.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:26:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Gasket?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.