Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
valve clearance (Read 92 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
valve clearance
09/18/08 at 21:37:47

Hi all, got chain on and up and running,BUT, checking the tappet clearance after running there seems to be very little clearence,when the cngine was cold I set them(after a struggle)at 006 and could just make out a slight movment on the tappet, was wondering if it is normal to have so little movment,,cheers,,kenny

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: valve clearance
Reply #1 - 09/18/08 at 21:47:33

6 is sloppy. I set them at .003. After I finally set them like that, they didnt need adjusted again for a long time. When I was using .004 & .005, they needed adjusted at 5,000 or less. I found one that needed snugged on the last checkup.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #2 - 09/18/08 at 23:10:30

thanks for that, I'll give them another go,it's just that when I try to shuggle them up and down there's just hint of movment, and once she heats up I recon they would be tight. I have the devil's own job trying to get to them,can't get my fingers in there never mind my hand,had to cut and weld fancy extensions bends and angles to screwdriver and spanner to do it by remote control, kenny

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/18/08 at 23:28:29

I had to bend the feeler gauges up pretty bad, now, when I do it, I loosen the adj. & get the feeler in there, shug down on it & establish that I CAN push it, if only slightly, then pull & push as I set the adjuster. An offset screwdriver to hold the adjuster while setting the jam nut really makes it easy.

I used tio think the way you do, about the valve stem growing with the heat, then someone pointed out that the valve face grows, too & as it is across the valve seat, it pulls the valve down in the cylinder some, so that offsets the length change. Which one "wins" I dont think anyone knows, Cant remember.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #4 - 09/18/08 at 23:44:51

Aye, that's the way,I'll give it another go with my custom curly screwspanner,but I'll have to wait for the shops to open to get another feeler gage,it looks more like a spring now(it.s only 7.40am here). I never thought about the valve face expanding, but when I think about it, what you explained makes pure sense,,k

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #5 - 09/19/08 at 05:19:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/08 at 23:28:29:
I used tio think the way you do, about the valve stem growing with the heat, then someone pointed out that the valve face grows, too & as it is across the valve seat, it pulls the valve down in the cylinder some, so that offsets the length change. Which one "wins" I dont think anyone knows, Cant remember.

Warm clearances are tighter. You can check the clearances when the lump's hot, then again when it has cooled down. That's the reason there is a clearance and it is supposed to be adjusted with engine cold. If valve clearances grew when the engine warms up, you could tighten them solid in a cold engine.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 09/19/08 at 05:23:35

An old timer gave me this tip.  

Using  a .004 feeler gauge.  Finger tighten the tappet onto the .004 gauge.  Then lock the tappet into place.  The lock down process will nudge it a little and you will get resutls of between .003 & .004.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #7 - 09/19/08 at 09:40:54

Got it, I figured out now where I was going wrong. I set them at 0.06mm the new feeler has  the right markings on it .003= 0.08mm .004= 0.10mm. that's why I couldnt feel much movment in them,,k

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/19/08 at 12:06:22

kennycreed wrote on 09/19/08 at 09:40:54:
Got it, I figured out now where I was going wrong. I set them at 0.06mm the new feeler has  the right markings on it .003= 0.08mm .004= 0.10mm. that's why I couldnt feel much movment in them,,k

OOPS.... I should have used metric.... sorry....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/19/08 at 14:35:41

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 09/19/08 at 05:23:35:
An old timer gave me this tip.  

Using  a .004 feeler gauge.  Finger tighten the tappet onto the .004 gauge.  Then lock the tappet into place.  The lock down process will nudge it a little and you will get resutls of between .003 & .004.

When the jam nut is loosened off, the slop in the threads of the adjuster is obvious( on mine, its nasty)so setting the jam lifts the adjuster up, into the threads, & without a screwdriver holding the adjuster, I think it gets a bit tight, BUT, I am gonna give that a try. If I can save some hassles, I will.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:30:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve clearance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.