Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy... (Read 108 times)
mikestrikes
Ex Member

New guy...
09/18/08 at 15:25:35

Hello people, I've been looking for some bike to get for my next build. I wanted a large air cooled single and an over all simple bike but not to old.

The LS650 was the top pick, I got one but its in South Florida and I live in North Alabama...... I'll get it home some day I guess.

Anyway while waiting on it I want to learn as much about this Thumper as I can, I'm in a wheelchair so this will be Triked out and I like the old Bobber style bikes so this is the way I will build it.

Stick shifter with a clutch lever mounted on it and a ATV type rear axle and floorboards for my feet.

I was told the motor has a leaking head gasket and needs carb work, thats cool as I wanted to tear the motor down for a cleanup and new paint on the jug, but can the valve cover be removed or is it the real cover ?

Any after market parts for it ? I dont plan on Hot Roding it as I want as much MPG as I can get but do want a BIG o'l exhaust pipe to let it sound off with that cool Thump Thump !

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: New guy...
Reply #1 - 09/18/08 at 15:44:34

Mike, when you do get it, I can tell you that most of not all of us want pictures of before during and after. I would love to see what you do to it to accommodate your needs.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/08 at 16:37:18

I hope to have it withing a month, I got a buddy come'n up from that area for a visit and try'n to talk him into bringing it for me.

Oh and yeah no worries about build pics, I'll have them for everyone to see.

Looks like it will be an easy thing to do but not sure how I'm going to get rid of the rear fender and fit a diff seat setup, I would go solo seat but my daughter wants to ride at times...

I need to find rebuild kits for the motor and forks... any good places ?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 09/18/08 at 16:45:08

Sorry, I usually get the parts I need for the engine from the stealership itself and since I put on the girder front end I have no need to look for things to rebuild the forks.

There are several others on here however that could more than likely help you out though. Check the tech/ref section and the market place section.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 09/19/08 at 12:13:42

The leaking head gasket is more than likely a leaking rubber plug that covers the access hole for one of the nuts that hold the head on.

If you're mechanical, it's a simple fix.  Suzuki has an up-graded plug that is suppose to be better than the older ones.

What year and mileage on the bike????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:40:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New guy...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.