Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike died out on highway (Read 151 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

bike died out on highway
09/18/08 at 08:10:47

just installed a super brace and got on the highway where it stalled out completely. had to get my truck and load her up.
anyway i have spark and compression. i guess i'll take the carb off and clean it up ?
it just feels suspicious after recently installing the yamaha petcock with no vacuum. what do you all think ?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: bike died out on highway
Reply #1 - 09/18/08 at 09:55:17

If it runs on reserve maybe you need to rethink using the Yamaha part. Or get used to not having back-up when it sputters to a stop as you run out of gas.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/18/08 at 11:31:32

Same symptoms as before with new vacuum less petcock.

I'm thinking electrical, loose wire some where.

WWW   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: symptoms
Reply #3 - 09/18/08 at 11:39:20

before it would always start right up when i put it on prime.
this time i had plenty of gas in her but when i tried to restart it just wouldn't catch until i pulled choke out. then it would barely idle but if i added any throttle whatsoever it would stall out.
i checked out there on the highway and with the petcock on "on" or reserve there was still fuel flowing out of the tank. I also checked the carb bowl and it was full as well.

Hmm loose wire ? like the starter area ?
thanks

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 09/18/08 at 11:54:58

Are you sure the fuel is clean? No debris in the tank? If you are drawing on the reserve side all the time now, you are pulling fuel from lower in the tank, more likely to allow heavier than fuel particles to get into the carbs maybe temporarily blocking passages. I'm thinking water drops in the fuel would act about the same way.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 09/18/08 at 16:36:24

thats a good point. whats a good way to clean out a tank ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/18/08 at 18:29:57

Seems you woulda spotted any real debris & crap on the screen when you pulled the old petcork. Drain the bowl into a glass & see what ya get.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 09/19/08 at 05:57:31

franch wrote on 09/18/08 at 16:36:24:
thats a good point. whats a good way to clean out a tank ?

Unfortunately, it kinda depends on what you got in there. IE Rust from the tank itself is different than water.

If I were having your troubles. First I would figure out if I was now drawing from the reserve instead of the "run" tube in the tank. Second even if I wasn't, I'd probably drain the tank and take a look at the contents. Once I had a tank of gas drained from a mini-van that looked like it was half full of crude oil and debris. I even know where the tank of gas came from, unfortunately couldn't prove it and the station wouldn't stand up and admit the problem. Needless to say, that was an expensive tank of gas. I wouldn't expect the same appearance from your tank, but anything that doesn't look like gas after things settle out is going to give you problems. If you have access to a scope of some kind, you can even examine the inside of the tank (seams and low spot) for rust.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 09/20/08 at 11:54:42

took the tank off (it really is a piece of cake with yammy petcock) dumped the contents (nasty rusty colored fluid barely even smelled like gasoline) refilled with fresh gas aflter cleaning petcock screen and she fired right up. yeehah i'm back on the road !
thanks everyone for the always valuable advice.
this group has never failed me !
franch

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:22:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike died out on highway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.