Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Rider, New Bike, Question (Read 367 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
New Rider, New Bike, Question
09/17/08 at 17:49:19

I'm a brand new rider. Rode my first motorcycle at the MSF Beginner Course in July and now I'm the proud owner of a used 2007 S40.

The previous owner put different jets in (0.055 pilot and 0.155 main), a HD Dyna exhaust on, and turned the idle screw way down.

The reason I'm here is the infamous backfire (I've seen it called afterfire on some websites).

Backfires happen. Quite often. Most of the time it's a solid pop, with the occasional vocal bang. The previous owner said it backfired LESS after he made the changes. WOW. I can't imagine what it sounded like previously.

Back on topic, am I correct to assume that reducing the "white spacer" is probably a good way to reduce the backfiring? The previous owner said he didn't do that adjustment because he had read about some bad results.

At what point should I consider the idle mixture screw a required adjustment?

Thanks for your help.

-Drunken Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: New Rider, New Bike, Question
Reply #1 - 09/17/08 at 18:08:30

on the idle screw clockwise is leaning it and counterclockwise is richening the mixture. I thought that the backfires were due to an overly lean mixture. Perhaps richening the idle mixture would help. Does the bike run well now? I suppose you could do the white spacer mod, I haven't rejetted but have half spacer and idle screw out 2 1/4 turns and no backfires. I'm running a dyna -muffler too.
What kind of air filter are you using? I read that the air filter has the most affect on mixture, even more than exhaust. I'm sure others will chime in who know more than I.
In the tech section are many how to's... plenty on carbs and tuning.
Do a search on white spacer mod .
Good luck, you can fix the backfires!
At shutoff some people just pull out the enrichener as they shut it off and this will stop the backfire at shutdown.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/17/08 at 18:19:11

You can get "backfires", afterfires from being too rich also.  And your jetting is on the rich end.  Seviersavage is referring to the idle mix srew on the right side of the carb not the idle speed screw on the left, by the choke.  Your idle mix screw may be blocked off by a brass plug, if so it must be drilled out to make adjustments.
"Pop, blat, wooble-wooble, blat" type sounds are quite normal for a big thumper engine on deceleration.  "Kaa-BANG!", gunshot type sounds are not good and you should try to reduce those.  

My jetting is 150#/50# and I have similar mods to you.  I am at 2500ft elevation in a dry climate, and that makes a huge difference in jetting.  What is your elevation and climate?  Heat, humidity, and elevation will make you run rich.  Dry, cool, sea level will make you lean.

Feel free to ask for help, search past posts, and welcome ,
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/17/08 at 19:13:55

Also check the header bolts when cold they should be 15-20 ftlbs

WWW   IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 09/17/08 at 19:38:27

verslagen1 wrote on 09/17/08 at 19:13:55:

I guess I need to buy a torque wrench.  Embarrassed

-Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 09/17/08 at 20:01:27

Serowbot wrote on 09/17/08 at 18:19:11:
You can get "backfires", afterfires from being too rich also.  And your jetting is on the rich end.  Seviersavage is referring to the idle mix srew on the right side of the carb not the idle speed screw on the left, by the choke.  Your idle mix screw may be blocked off by a brass plug, if so it must be drilled out to make adjustments.
"Pop, blat, wooble-wooble, blat" type sounds are quite normal for a big thumper engine on deceleration.  "Kaa-BANG!", gunshot type sounds are not good and you should try to reduce those.

The idle mixture screw has not been drilled out.

It's mostly "pop, blat" type sounds with only the occasional "BANG". Perhaps it's normal. Would a recording be useful?

Quote:
My jetting is 150#/50# and I have similar mods to you.  I am at 2500ft elevation in a dry climate, and that makes a huge difference in jetting.  What is your elevation and climate?  Heat, humidity, and elevation will make you run rich.  Dry, cool, sea level will make you lean.

Elevation: 505 ft
Climate: "humid continental climate zone" is the technical term. Not quite as bad as Seattle, but close.
Rochester, NY to be specific.

-Dwarf

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 09/17/08 at 20:16:51

seviersavage wrote on 09/17/08 at 18:08:30:
What kind of air filter are you using? I read that the air filter has the most affect on mixture, even more than exhaust. I'm sure others will chime in who know more than I.

It's a stock air filter, but the cover has been removed. Not the 'outside' cover, but the 'inside' one. I actually haven't taken it apart to look at it. I just know I've got the parts sitting on my desk. (I think it's proper name would be "Air Filter Access Cover" or "Air Filter Compartment Cover" or "Air Cleaner Case Cover"...it's the plastic one.)

-Dwarf

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/17/08 at 22:57:39

505ft is virtually sea level, jetting wise,..but the humidity will make you richer...I definitely wouldn't rush to go any richer.  pay attention to the weather...if you get less popping, blatting,..on dryer days,..you are overall a little rich...If you get more in dry weather,... you are lean.  I suspect your current jetting could be a bit rich.  The spacer mod would richen your mid-throttle, but your main and pilot jets are on the large size.  Does your gas mileage suck?  Should be 50 to 60mpg.
Since your "Bangs!" are not so much as just "pops and blats",...I wouldn't be too worried...You just want to fine tune.  

BTW, you are correct....technically, actual "backfires" are pops thru the carb...
"Afterfires" are out of the exhaust,...but people generally,mistakenly, refer to exhaust pops, as backfires....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 09/21/08 at 08:06:45

verslagen1 wrote on 09/17/08 at 19:13:55:

Header Bolts = where the exhaust connects to the cylinder?

I hope so, 'cause I just tightened them to 15ftlbs (+/- 4%).

I got the brass plug out, managed to ding the lower lip of the fuel tank in the process. Where can I get paint?

I haven't rode enough to get a gas mileage measurement. The previous owner said it got over 50mpg.

I think I'm starting to understand this carburetor stuff.

With a big main jet, I'm probably running a bit rich when I'm 1/2 to full throttle.
With a big pilot jet, I'm probably running a bit rich when I'm idle to 1/4 throttle.

The idle mixture screw could help me adjust the pilot system.

Changing the spacer would make the it run richer 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Which I may or may not want to do.

How would I go about determining the correct course of action? Is it just a matter of preference if I don't have access to a dynamometer?

-Drunken Dwarf

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/21/08 at 08:38:24

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 09/21/08 at 08:06:45:
Header Bolts = where the exhaust connects to the cylinder?
I hope so, 'cause I just tightened them to 15ftlbs (+/- 4%).  Smiley

How would I go about determining the correct course of action? Is it just a matter of preference if I don't have access to a dynamometer?

Find yourself a long uphill grade, something you can do WOT for an extended period.  If you can back off from WOT (about an 1/8 turn) and it sounds like it picks up, then the main is too small, go up a size.

WWW   IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 09/21/08 at 17:33:26

verslagen1 wrote on 09/21/08 at 08:38:24:
Find yourself a long uphill grade, something you can do WOT for an extended period.  If you can back off from WOT (about an 1/8 turn) and it sounds like it picks up, then the main is too small, go up a size.

OK.
What if my main is already too big?
What about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle?

-Drunken Dwarf

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/21/08 at 20:18:54

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 09/21/08 at 17:33:26:
What if my main is already too big?
What about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle?

I don't know of a test for too big, only too small.
Drop it down a size and test it.  My guess is a 150 will do you fine.

I don't know a fool proof test for the mid range.  Get a stack of #4 washers that stack up to 0.1"  and drop one out and test it out.  If it accels smoothly, then try another.  some have taken it out and it runs fine others say it needs the whole thing.  I beleave it depends on the main so do it last.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 09/22/08 at 02:56:50

[quote ]

I don't know of a test for too big, only too small.
Drop it down a size and test it.  My guess is a 150 will do you fine.
I don't know a fool proof test for the mid range. . [/quote]

In general, the following apply

TOO RICH

-engine noise dull/intermittent
-condition grows worse when choke opeded
-condition grows worse when engine gets hot
-removing air cleaner will improve condition somewhat
-exhaust gas heavy
-fouled plug

TOO LEAN

-engine overheats
-condition improves with choke opened
-acceleration is poor
-spark plug burned
-engine surges, lacks power

Excessively lean carburetor settings can contribute to backfiring. If the mixture is too lean, it may burn very slowly and unevenly. This condition, in turn, may result in burning mixture remaining in the cylinder until the beginning of the next intake stroke when it can ignite the incomming air/fuel mixture.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/22/08 at 03:35:06

And dont set the idle speed low, trying to make it sound extra cool. It will hurt the cam bearings,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 09/22/08 at 05:45:35

Getting back to the original question. In many cases, the idle mix screw is all that needs adjusted to eliminate backfire so if that is the desired result it should be attempted before changing jets after adjusting the idle speed. (There's a reason it's a screw adjustment even if it's covered by a plug to make the environmental people happy.) There's also a reason the idle speed is on a thumbscrew. It's nice to have a tach to adjust by, but if the engine is running real slow and rough and even "loping" it probably needs adjusted.

As far as rich or lean running conditions, Lancer has a nice summary there. Others have also put in valid points. In your case, you may want (different than need) larger jets because of the change in exhaust however you may not have the right sizes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:27:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Rider, New Bike, Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.