Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with S40 Backfire fix (Read 559 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Help with S40 Backfire fix
Reply #15 - 09/19/08 at 05:47:53

07S40rider wrote on 09/18/08 at 14:30:38:
My understanding, from reading what seems like hundreds of posts about the air/fuel mixture screw and the brass plug, is that from the factory the S40 is set for maximum fuel economy (super lean maybe?) and while adjusting the A/F mixture screw will correct the backfiring - it also will most likely cause gas mileage to decrease.  Correct?  If so, given current gas prices I thought this might be something CaliKid would want to be aware of.  If I am incorrect, please straighten me out before I spread this crazy propaganda any further~!  Roll Eyes

No,  the mixture was set for pollution emissions off the factory floor.  Being lean to the point of becoming inefficient.    Inefficiency means that you could get a tiny bit more mpg by adjusting it a tiny bit  ....... key word.... tiny bit...

For most,  the "fun" factor takes hold and most people tweak it to most instant power (means centered or slightly rich)........  AND then "fun" factor causes more WOT and that lowers MPG....

Note: the super lean tune will, over time, cause the engine to start polluting more as the parts get damaged from the extra heat produced..... but it passed the EPA std's when made...     Now, I will say that it is a very fine line to get the perfect tune, and most people don't have it perfect.  I know mine is running slight rich......  avg city riding 47-49 mpg.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/20/08 at 18:21:17

thanks EssForty--these pics pushed me over the edge and I took the plunge.  

i backed out the screw 1/2 turn from it's original setting per your directions and observed no change.  now it is out a full turn and still backfiring.  do others on this site have a comment about how far out to back the screw?  my bike is an 06 in case that matters.  thanks.

Huh

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 09/20/08 at 19:38:32

only to say, as you probably already have read elsewhere, that you don't want to be more than 3 full rotations out.  Any more than that and you risk the screw coming loose.  To reduce the "backfire", which is really an afterfire, you might also try increasing the idle speed a little.  See if that helps....

And,..an afterfire is a "ka-bang!" kind of gunshot sound.
Little "whump,..pop..blat...wooble, wooble" sounds on deceleration are normal for a big thumper, and are harmless, and kinda' cool.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/20/08 at 20:18:15

try turning the idle down when tuning the mix screw. If I had my idle at the spec RPMs when tuning it made no appreciable difference in engine speed. I only got it tuned after someone told me to turn the idle down.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 09/20/08 at 20:30:41

I got mine screwed out one and a half turns,it still backfires,but runs great Smiley

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #20 - 09/20/08 at 20:58:15

I think the white spacer mod in combination with the idle mixture adjustment made the real difference for me.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 09/21/08 at 03:58:27

Clarify the start solenoid adjustment conditions, please.    Too tight is ????   Too loose is ????  Solenoid adjustment doesn't play, mis-assembly was the culprit.  Reason why this is so ????

Your post is interesting, but I cannot connect it to the "normal" solenoid adjustment parameters which may affect many bikes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #22 - 09/21/08 at 04:36:10

Deleted prior post suggesting it may be related to the decompressor linkage. I had backfiring due to misassembly  so it may not be a good example.  If he is in the normal range of play it is simple enough to rule out by checking it.   I would not have normally brought it up, except for the fact that it mirrored some of his symptoms.

Also, after I figured it out, I did find a good writeup of the decompression linkage assembly on page 92, whereas I was working around page 55.

So . it may not be relevant at all, but you never know. File it under "stupid things you can do to make backfiring worse"  Wink

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
coachchuck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/21/08 at 22:14:51

I bought a 2005 S40 on September 12. Very nice motorcycle with low mileage and no corrosion. Made purchase with no test ride (cautious seller). Have put on 150 miles since purchase and very happy. But noticed the backfiring. Started research, including this site. Today, I removed the brass plug and adjusted low end mixture. Also, removed the spacer on the slide needle. All went well.

I removed the brass plug by drilling it out with a drill bit slightly smaller than the casing around the plug. I was careful not to let the drill bit touch the head of the adjustment screw. It really was a 'piece of cake." By the way, there was a small hole in the middle of the brass plug. I stuck a needle through the hole and determined that there was about a 1/4 inch space between the outer face of the plug and the face of the adjustment screw.

As suggested, I turned out the low end mixture screw until idle speed peaked. A half turn counterclockwise. During test drive, noticed an increase in power and smoothness in acceleration. Backfire is less but still offers a minor "pop" now and then just to let me know it's still happy. Smiley

Other than having to remove the seat and the tank, this was an easy fix. No need to remove the carb. Just be careful working in and around the diaphragm, especially during replacement of the spring and cover.

ShockedTwo day later - In my previous post, I recounted my "success" with removing the spacer on the jet needle and adjustment of the idle mixture screw. In the past two days, my "success" has proven less so. My engine started running lean, not rich! Yes! That's correct! Leaner! More pronounced backfires and weak acceleration, especially from idle. I progressively richened the idle mixture with no improvement.   So, today, I replaced the spacer (Smart not to have thrown it away!) and now it runs just fine. And the idle mixture adjustment seems to make a substantial difference. Consequently, I don't recommend removing the spacer. Leave it alone. BTW, the brass plug in my carb was 9/64 thick.

« Last Edit: 09/23/08 at 20:32:58 by coachchuck »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:17:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with S40 Backfire fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.