Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with S40 Backfire fix (Read 559 times)
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Help with S40 Backfire fix
09/16/08 at 18:56:59

Hi All,
I have just bought my first bike, a used 2007 S40 with 2800 mi. Loving it except for the backfiring. I enjoy the odd one here & there, but I live in a hilly area and when engine braking on steep ones it gets annoying. I would like to adjust the fuel/air mixture, but I need some detailed instruction. Brass plug on the RH side? Drill it out? Which direction to turn screw? etc.
Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Help with S40 Backfire fix
Reply #1 - 09/16/08 at 19:29:45

Check out this thread. It is the index for the tech/ref section of this site.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/16/08 at 20:30:47

also check the torque on the header bolts, 15 to 20 ft-lbs on a cold morning, no start till checked.

also check the muffler clamp, anytime, but I suggest cool to the touche.   Shocked

Where are you?

WWW   IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/17/08 at 03:00:05

I just took Thump in for scheduled maintenance / tuneup and now the backfiring is gone.  *weeping*  I liked his little backfiring.  It was useful when someone was following too closely, and I also truly enjoyed his final comment when pulling him into the garage for the night.   But to each his own. :'(

Ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #4 - 09/17/08 at 07:25:50

I'm in Hollywood CA

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/17/08 at 07:31:08

I work in beautiful downtown Burbank, you have any troubles...

WWW   IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/17/08 at 17:49:28

good links to the tech reference site, but the step by step for the brass plug removal could use some pictures.  seems different people have different techniques.  also seems people drill too deeply and mess up the screw under the cap.  pics of a successful removal would be really helpful.  thanks! Undecided

IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #7 - 09/17/08 at 22:16:11

Thanks for suggestions. The bike has been down a few times compliments of prevoius owner, so maybe the Header/muffler do need a tweek. I don't have many tools (ei. Torque Wrench), and am a bit afraid of damaging the bike by drilling etc. I've only had the bike 2 weeks, and I'm guessing like most others out there, I'll be dabbling soon...

IP Logged
John Winston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/18/08 at 13:50:07

Ok Calikid ...here's what you do for that backfire. You are going to need a drill and drill bit, large screw, large screwdriver, pliers and small screwdriver. here's what you do ... Drill the middle of the brass plug on the right side of the carbureator ... do not just send the drill bit thru because you do not want to damage the gas adjustment screw behind the brass plug. You want the hole just big enough for the large screw ... with the screw and large screwdriver turn it into the hole you have drilled ... you want to just get the screw stuck in the brass plug but not go all the way thru to damage behind it. Get your pliers, grab hold of the screwhead, leaverage yourself and pull the brass plug out. Take your small screw driver and turn the adjustment screw a half a turn counterclockwise ... stop. That's it.
I have the 2007 stock bike ... pipes and carbureator and did this adjustment ... the engine and muffler runs and sounds so much better.

Good luck.

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #9 - 09/18/08 at 14:30:38

My understanding, from reading what seems like hundreds of posts about the air/fuel mixture screw and the brass plug, is that from the factory the S40 is set for maximum fuel economy (super lean maybe?) and while adjusting the A/F mixture screw will correct the backfiring - it also will most likely cause gas mileage to decrease.  Correct?  If so, given current gas prices I thought this might be something CaliKid would want to be aware of.  If I am incorrect, please straighten me out before I spread this crazy propaganda any further~!  Roll Eyes

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
John Winston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/18/08 at 15:01:00

The brass plug is meant to keep you from adjusting the lean setting ... when you hear and see the difference from the minor adjustment  I explained YOU WILL LIKE IT ... the engine and muffler sounds like it is supposed to be. My judgement  ... and take it for what it is worth ... you want your bike to run like this and not on the lean setting. If you feel uncomfortable with the adjustment ... just turn the screw clockwise a half a turn and you are back where you started. I have not gauged the gas factor after the adjustment yet ... I can tell you I will not set it back to run like it was on the lean setting. I am not a technical guru like the others here when the talk about in the long run your bike running lean makes it run hot ... and will wear out parts sooner. The bike runs better with the minor adjustment ... the tech at the dealership shop told me this is what he does when customers complain about the backfiring. I did it ... I love it ... I put the information here if anyone wants to try it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/18/08 at 15:14:47

True Mikuni stated that mpg is dependant upon the idle jet setting as once a sable speed is attained, the throttle setting will be in the range of the pilot jet.  Which explains why even though I've gone up a couple of sizes in the main jet my mpg hasn't changed alot.

For best carb adjustment procedures, see the tech section.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #12 - 09/18/08 at 18:24:05

TheCaliKid wrote on 09/16/08 at 18:56:59:
Hi All,
I have just bought my first bike, a used 2007 S40 with 2800 mi. Loving it except for the backfiring. I enjoy the odd one here & there, but I live in a hilly area and when engine braking on steep ones it gets annoying. I would like to adjust the fuel/air mixture, but I need some detailed instruction. Brass plug on the RH side? Drill it out? Which direction to turn screw? etc.
Thanks,
Mike

It's documented on my blog with pictures that should answer all your questions.  It is really an easy mod to do.

Here's the link:

http://essforty.blogspot.com/2008/09/idle-mixture-screw-adjustment.html

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/18/08 at 19:20:28

I was in the shop the other day, just shooting the bull;, hanging with the mechanic. He was going thru some carbs. Grabbed his drill, poked a little hole in the brass cap, then reached into his toolbox & grabbed a plastic box with odd tools in it. Came out with a drywall screw, set it in the hole & torqued it with the screwdriver, grabbed a pair O dikes & found a good spot on the carb for a fulcrum & lebered it out. Easy Peeeasy! Just dont be pushing on that drill. The cap is thin. Be ready to yank back on the drill & some tape wrapped on the bit will help stop it, too. Just 1/8th back from the tip, a few wraps..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #14 - 09/19/08 at 02:44:53

That's exactly how I did it. Here's the pics of drilling, then the drywall screw in the brass plug, then the screw adjustment.

And then this shows the exposed idle mixture screw being adjusted.

I documented it in more detail on my blog since I had to post the pics there anyway.  I've also posted it in the tech docs section as well since I did not see any pictures in the existing thread.  

http://essforty.blogspot.com/2008/09/idle-mixture-screw-adjustment.html

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:23:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with S40 Backfire fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.