Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problems with my Savage (Read 370 times)
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Problems with my Savage
09/16/08 at 17:36:27

Hello everyone,
So, after much research I decided to buy a used Savage as my starter bike. I found a 2002 with 4k miles in my price range and bought it a few days ago. Unfortunately, now it does not like running. When I try and start it it just turns over and over but never gets going. Sometimes I can get it to start by giving it some gas and playing with the choke settings, but even after it is running and I take it for a spin, it will die on me once I stop or let up off the gas, or even put on the clutch to change to a lower gear  Undecided. After it sat for a day yesterday it started right up no prob, but then died shortly after at a stop sign. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Problems with my Savage
Reply #1 - 09/16/08 at 17:42:20

A little more info about the bike will help.  Such as, how long has it set prior to your purchasing it.  

Try turning the idle up first.  If that doesn't work, get back to us.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/16/08 at 18:54:22

It wasn't sitting (at least, so I am told) as the guy I bought it from used it to commute to and from work. When I test drove it, it ran perfectly fine for quite a while (I got lost in his neighborhood while testing it).

I will try messing with the idle, would the info for how to do that be in the service manual? From reading it, it suggests numerous causes of the problem, so I figured I would try and get a real persons opinion before trying any repairs. Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/16/08 at 20:22:25

Agree with Sandy I do, turn up the idle speed you will.

And if you crank it for too long, you'll run the battery down and it won't start even though the starter still cranks.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 09/16/08 at 23:03:21

jmg967 wrote on 09/16/08 at 18:54:22:
It wasn't sitting (at least, so I am told) as the guy I bought it from used it to commute to and from work. When I test drove it, it ran perfectly fine for quite a while (I got lost in his neighborhood while testing it).

I will try messing with the idle, would the info for how to do that be in the service manual? From reading it, it suggests numerous causes of the problem, so I figured I would try and get a real persons opinion before trying any repairs. Thanks!

the carb has a hand screw on the left side.  It just stops the slide attatched to the throttle cable.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/17/08 at 17:58:32

Ok, so I played around with the settings and got it running alright enough for a second, but then it died on me again at another stop sign, and hasn't been able to start since. I have it sitting on a battery charger, and have tried it out with no luck. It doesn't seem to be the battery, but I have no idea what else it could be keeping it from starting. My service book says to test the spark plug, but I cant get the dang gas tank off after following all the directions. Any other ideas before I bite the bullet and take it to a repair shop?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/17/08 at 18:08:46

A common problem with Savages, is a vacuum line leak.  
There are two hoses that go from the petc0ck to the carb,...the one on the left, or choke side is gas,...the one on the right is vacuum only, it should have absolutely no gas in it.  Check that line.  If you find gas, you have found the problem.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/17/08 at 21:57:04

How much gas in it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/17/08 at 22:26:28

Gas tank is almost full, and there was no gas in the vacuum line that I noticed when I took the hose off while trying to check the spark plug by taking off the gas tank. The tank would not come off though, seemed to be catching on something, although I followed the instructions for taking it off to a tee.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 09/18/08 at 03:14:07

Removing the tank can be a bit tricky. To get mine off I pull it back a couple inches, then twist it gently towards the left. You can't just pull it straight up, or straight back.  (I assume you removed the carb fuel & vac lines and the speedo cable.) There is also a wiring harness under the tank that you'll have to disengage to remove the tank completely.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/18/08 at 06:50:33

Have you tried putting the tank valve in the "prime" position ?  That will eliminate the vacuum controled fuel supply, and any associated problem with that.  If it runs properly in the prime position then you will know that there is a problem with the tank valve.  
There may still be issues with the carb though.

IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/21/08 at 23:40:42

OK, finally got everything apart and the spark plug replaced. Put it back together, and it started right up no prob. After adjusting the idle like yall suggested, it ran great for the rest of the day  Smiley.

Next day, starts doing the same thing, dieing out on me when I put in the clutch and come to a stop. Have to really try to get it to start, but I have a feeling that it won't be starting at all soon, just like before. So, the problem must be more serious. When I took out the old spark plug it smelled heavily of gasoline and was totally black, but otherwise I have no clue whats going on. Any ideas?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #12 - 09/22/08 at 06:52:18

When you parked it was it still on PRI or did you flip it back to ON or RES?

When it died on you was it in ON or PRI?

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/22/08 at 09:47:03

The gas was set to ON while it was parked, and also ON when it died on me.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #14 - 09/22/08 at 12:06:28

I'm thinking you should check the carb float level.  Inspect the air filter too, just for good measure.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:37:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems with my Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.