Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The down side of a quiet belt. (Read 247 times)
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
The down side of a quiet belt.
09/16/08 at 07:29:37

Now I can hear all sorts of rattles, clatters and whistles that used to be masked by the squeak.
The whistle comes from the windshield at around 50mph, but I am not sure what the clatter is. I seem to get it at certain rpms. It might be coming from the headlight. I just hope I didn't mess up my recent valve clearance adjustment.

Dave

« Last Edit: 09/16/08 at 12:20:22 by DJM »  

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: The down side of a quiet belt.
Reply #1 - 09/16/08 at 09:39:31

I've never worried too much about odd noises.  NEW noises give me the chills.

WWW   IP Logged
ChrisSavage
YaBB Newbies

Lazy Bones

Columbus, OH
Reply #2 - 09/16/08 at 10:47:25

My windshield likes to rattle on the light at certain rpms/speeds. Always has but at 55+ it can be obnoxious even with a helmet on. I've yet to fix it though. (Or fix the alignment on my windshield. It's slightly off.)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/16/08 at 15:51:41

You can always make it noisy again!...saves a lot of work trying to quiet everything else...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #4 - 09/17/08 at 08:19:03

Turns out my exhaust header bolts had backed out to the point of almost falling out. I did the cam chain tensioner check a few weeks ago and apparently didn't torque the bolts properly. I think this probably accounts for most of the extra racket I have been hearing, and also the increased frequency and intensity of backfiring.

I used anti-sieze on these bolts. Does anybody know if I shouldn't have used it here?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/17/08 at 08:46:27

Yes use antisieze on the header bolts, and yes those bolt back out.

Any time I play with them, I check them at least once a weak till they seem to stay tight, then once a month.

Yep, soon you'll be tightening various bolts based upon the sounds you hear.

WWW   IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #6 - 09/17/08 at 09:21:53

Thanks Verslagen1

The first time I tightened them, I just turned them till they felt tight, then looked in the *back* of the Clymers chapter for the torque spec but did not find it. This time I looked for the torque spec again, and found it right in the text describing how to re-install the muffler. I wish they would be consistent, or  put it in both places.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/17/08 at 19:53:25

Noises. Had my bike all looking pretty, everything just like it should be. All my PM done. Took her out for a spin, full face on, visor up. Get above 30mph, hearing a strange noise. Slow down below 30, noise goes away. Hmm. Speed back up, give it some gas. Oh no! noise again, louder! Pull over. No noise at idle. Hmmm. Speedo cable? No. Head covers? No. Belt guard? No. Nothing loose, nothing broken. Sweet engine sound at idle. Sloooowly take off. 15mph, no noise. 25 mph, no noise. 30 mph, no noise. 35mph, little bit of noise. Pass a guy mowing his yard, and kicking up all kinds of dust. Slap visor down. Noise stops. Check speed. Still 35mph. Raise visor, noise returns. Close visor, noise stops. Guy mowing yard staring at me cause I'm laughing at my silly a$$ like lunatic! Noises.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #8 - 09/18/08 at 07:47:16

Jay,
Was it the visor itself rattling, or were you just hearing the lawnmower?

Dave

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #9 - 09/18/08 at 15:25:24

This post made me laugh.  I just recently started hearing a ticking on the right side of the bike.  Anyone who's been on here very long knows what that could mean.  I wasn't really looking forward to doing any kind of maintenance as the bike is my only vehicle right now.  So I start listening around the bike.  Funny thing is, when I lean down toward the engine, the noise gets quieter.  I lean back and there it is.  Turns out it was my plastic license plate bracket rattling in time with the engine.  I tightened it down, and Voila! No more ticking.    Cool

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/19/08 at 02:35:19

the belt guard on my bike rattles.  a lot at certain speeds.  it is making contact with the wheel/sprocket/pulley (not sure what it is called--the thing the belt goes around).  it looks like it is too far in toward the wheel. is there a way to adjust this outward?  I'm about to try to bend it.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/19/08 at 03:10:19

DJM wrote on 09/18/08 at 07:47:16:
Jay,
Was it the visor itself rattling, or were you just hearing the lawnmower?

Dave

Dave,
It was the visor. I'd never noticed it before, but I've heard it plenty since. When I first started that particular ride, I was no where near the lawnmower man. I was circling the neighborhood, afraid to get out on the highway til I discerned what my mysterious noise was. I felt like a rube. Here I was imagining all sorts of trouble in the engine, and it turns out that at about 35mph, I've got enough breeze under the open visor for it to start rattling a bit; and amplified within the helmet, it sounded like it was coming from all around me. I, being of strong faith in my mechanical abilities, naturally ass/u/me/d it had to be the engine.
In hospitals there's a saying, "When you hear hoofbeats, think "horses' not 'zebras'." Still, I shoulda K.I.S.S.ed it.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #12 - 09/19/08 at 13:45:00

When I was riding the other day, I kept hearing a loud knocking every time I got over about 30mph.  Turns out one of my backpack straps was flapping in the breeze and hitting my helmet. Now, I use cable ties to secure the excess strap lengths.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:16:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The down side of a quiet belt.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.