Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Road trip maintenance (Read 85 times)
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Road trip maintenance
09/15/08 at 16:46:46

I just got an '86 Savage.  Unfortunately I had to leave it in storage at the town where I bought it and will be heading up in about a week to bring her home.  The trip will be less than 200 miles but someone in a different thread said something about having to "remember to stop and do the maintenance" on road trips.  

I'm a noob to motorcycles - what kind of maintenance are we talking about and will it be necessary for a trip of that length?

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: Road trip maintenance
Reply #1 - 09/15/08 at 17:35:16

Hey LF:

I'm hitting the road with my '87 on Friday from the NJ coast out to various points in Pa. Simple things can cause us pain from vibration alone. Ever lose a footpeg? I have on my Sportster. It's not fun riding with a foot on the crankcase cover.

Tighten footpeg bolts, check/tighten battery terminal mounts, mirrors, exhaust. Adjust clutch cable. Rag for oil leaks, that's if you have any. Heeding a good suggestion from one of the forum members, I'm bringing a flask filled with oil and various tools.

It's always good practice to have enough in the way of tools to do simple maint., and to at least take the seat off, and be able to remove the tool box cover and mounting plate to get to the battery. We're not talking a lot of tools here.

When I stop to get gas, I'll check my oil and look for loose nuts and bolt. Any "very" strange noises coming from the motor, you know, "scary sounds", I'm off the road until I know what's wrong.

There's probably more, and I'm sure that someone will chime in. Most important is to enjoy the ride.

FSO
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #2 - 09/15/08 at 17:58:50

If the bike is in decent shape and has been ridden recently a 200 mile ride should be relatively trouble free.  A few simple checks are in order before you start out:

Check the oil level (you need to stand the bike up straight and look at the sight glass -do not check it while on the stand. Have a friend hold it up. The oil should be in the middle of the lines in the sight glass. Top up if needed, but do not overfill. Check for leaks.

Check the battery water level. Add distilled if it is low.

Check the air filter. Clean it if needed by blowing air from the clean side towards the dirty side, not vice versa.

Check your gasoline tank. There is no fuel gauge so fill it up asap and then refill it every hundred miles on the odometer. You'll want to stop and give your butt a break anyway.

Check the air pressure in your tires.

Always confirm that your brakes (both) actuate smoothly as well as the clutch. Check your headlights, turn signals and brake lights.

You should be good to go if there are no major problems with the bike. Get yourself a Clymers manual ASAP as you'll get familliir with the bike's internal workings soon enough.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 09/15/08 at 18:47:52

If you just bought the bike I would do the oil change before you take off for home. Be sure to check the break fluid front pads and any nut bolt or screw you can find. Then have one hell of a good time.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 09/16/08 at 05:50:33

I agree with DJ12MidNit, if the MC is new to you, change the oil and filter before starting out. Otherwise a 200 mile trip is just normal checks before riding - this is making the presumption (and this is a big presumption) that the MC is running and riding fine. If there is any little thing that doesn't seem right or that the former owner mentioned that "you might want to check." Check it - fix it before starting out.

Is there someone that can ride shotgun (either in a cage that brought you) or following you that knows enough about MCs to help on the way?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 09/16/08 at 06:51:41

plan for a gas stop @ 100 miles, sit on bike a pratice turning petcock from run to reserve

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 09/16/08 at 07:15:59

Good advice about changing the oil. I changed the oil/filter the day after I got the bike home after buying it. The oil came out in pieces.

FSO
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #7 - 09/16/08 at 07:34:11

photojoe FSO wrote on 09/16/08 at 07:15:59:
The oil came out in pieces.

Shocked

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:49:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Road trip maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.